Author Topic: On the future of the forums  (Read 84196 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: On the future of the forums
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2013, 02:27:22 am »
Ok, Ignorant quotes is pretty good. I'm just not sure how similar to the old name I (and this is just my opinion) would keep the new name if we are going to be separate from FSTDT.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:33 am »
That was one of my suggestions. After all, someone has to go in when the Whaaambulance gets called XD.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 04:27:43 am »
Examples of ignorant quotes:

"Etymology is the study of insects."
"There has never been a religion that worships snakes."
"I think that Kingdom Hearts sucks because Disney sucks."
"I'm pretty sure Obama is the President of Australia."
"So 'The Dark Knight' is about a black guy who is knighted?"

That's why names like these don't work. They're too broad.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 05:15:05 am »
This forum is more than just talking about FSTDT mainpage. It has been that way for years. Therefore a new name that does not refer to FSTDT material at all isn't necessarily bad.

And for Lithp: Why would it be a bad thing that the name is broad?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2013, 07:58:37 am »
Given the direction things have been going, I submit that the new forum should be called "Let's All Bee Friends" with a big smiling cartoon bee for a logo.

Joking aside, I'm mixed about this move. It really pisses me off that Distind is nuking the place rather than just handing it over. However, it might be nice to have a fresh start.

The part that concerns me, though, is that there's always a few good ones who get lost in the transition. This time it looks like it'll be even harder, since the window of time for people to know about the new forum is so short, and there will be no link on the main page. I wonder how old posters and new people are going to find us.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2013, 08:21:51 am »
Just for a joke, maybe we should call the new forum "Daily Affirmations" which, of course, it isn't. Well, I thought it was mildly amusing anyway, but I'm tired, too.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:14 am »
"Frequently Questioned Answers?"

That's one of the names that was being tossed around before WinAce settled on "The Divine Comedy"
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:25 am »
Just for a joke, maybe we should call the new forum "Daily Affirmations" which, of course, it isn't. Well, I thought it was mildly amusing anyway, but I'm tired, too.

I like it!  And, I'm sure that, were he still here, Sandman would have a hearty chortle at the suggestion, lol.

I, personally, like "Clockwork Abortion."  But, that's mostly because it sounds badass.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2013, 09:14:13 am »
I like Stuff Fundies Say Café.

It pays homage to the board's roots, while still being SFW.  Plus, I don't care for the idea of naming our forum Ignorant Quotes when almost everything on it will be written by... you know... us.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:33 am »
^^ What Veras said. Ignorant Quotes doesn't make much sense as a forum name when we're not going to be attached to the mainpage. It sounds like an unintentional dig at ourselves. Stuff Fundies Say Cafe sounds like the best option if we want it to be SFW.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:02 am »
Well, let's start wrapping this up. If you saw suggestion you liked, second it here (unless you have already done so, of course). Later today I'll put up a poll with all the suggestions that had non-insignificant agreement. Winner of that is the new name.
Σא

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:14 am »
I like Daily Affirmations or Stuff Fundies Say Café.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34:40 am »
I'll be honest, I don't see why we have to completely start over again. If Distind doesn't want these forums to be associated with the fstdt name, wouldn't it make more sense to just rename the forums? I understand if the intent is to try to distance this new community from previous drama, but if the idea is to have all or most of the same people, chances are the same sorts of arguments either will or won't spring up regardless. I dunno, it seems to make more sense to me to rebrand the forums we already have than to lose all of this.

edit: I can haz grammar?
Given that we're going to have SMF again, might it be made the case that exactly the same configuration is used and the old forum's database is backed up using the SMF utility, sent off to the new server and restored with the use of, e.g., phpmyadmin? Then we really could keep everything exactly the same (except for the name), right?

Just repeating this because I was about to suggest something like it myself.  New location, new url, etc but less stuff lost (ie Sandman's posts ect)

I gotta admit, that one's clever.

Stuff Fundies Say Café

This is probably the one I'll vote for, though.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2013, 11:39:18 am »
I think just "Stuff Fundies Say" is perfectly sufficient. Tacking "cafe" on to the end is just a tad pretentious.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:45 am »
I like this one.