Author Topic: Man buys HIV drug supply and the price goes up through the roof  (Read 34410 times)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
Re: Man buys HIV drug supply and the price goes up through the roof
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2015, 05:13:55 pm »
He just did another AMA on Reddit.  It went as expected.  One of the other poignant parts of the AMA besides the doctor breaking it down Barney-style to Shkreli as to why a 5000% price inflation of a drug is a bad thing for everybody was when someone called him a "Fu** boy".  Shkreli replied, "No U", but I can't help to think that got under his skin a little.

But to Shkreli, it's all fun and games.  He's a millionaire, he is in charge of a small company, and probably most important to him, he's famous.  Even if it's infamy and notoriety, he's famous, and that makes him, in his mind, super successful.

Worse, he also thinks of himself as a successful IRL troll.  He gets a kick from irritating people not realizing that if he doesn't wise up from his antics, he's going to become a modern day parable as to why trolling IRL is a stupid idea.

Shkreli seems to have trouble in social interaction in general.  Whether it's from a misdiagnosed/undiagnosed problem, him just being a painfully socially awkward and inept person, or him relishing in being an A-hole because he has a terrible personality, at the end of the day I can't imagine him having proud parents/guardians that he talks to.

At the rate he's going, Shkreli is going to die alone because I can't imagine some good woman in her right mind dating this guy.  If he does manage to snag someone, I can't imagine things ending well for him or his date.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »
He'd probably promise her that he'd foot the bill for dinner and a movie, only to go around and charge her "maintenance fees" equal to six times the cost of the original date, gas included.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2015, 10:29:13 pm »
He'd probably promise her that he'd foot the bill for dinner and a movie, only to go around and charge her "maintenance fees" equal to six times the cost of the original date, gas included.

I don't think it would even get that far if his date happens to be a good woman.  Because of his notoriety, when one lady by the name of Eve Peyser was matched on Tinder to him and proceeded to talk to him, the conversation came off as well as you would expect.  I don't think Shkreli knows how to talk to people, and with the money he has, he probably thinks he doesn't have to.

In some ways he reminds me of the Lolcow Chris-chan.  He keeps insisting that his version of things is the "real truth" of the situation on hand, and he's really just a misunderstood person and not the abhorrent person people think he is.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2015, 10:35:10 pm »

I don't think it would even get that far if his date happens to be a good woman.  Because of his notoriety, when one lady by the name of Eve Peyser was matched on Tinder to him and proceeded to talk to him, the conversation came off as well as you would expect.  I don't think Shkreli knows how to talk to people, and with the money he has, he probably thinks he doesn't have to.

In some ways he reminds me of the Lolcow Chris-chan.  He keeps insisting that his version of things is the "real truth" of the situation on hand, and he's really just a misunderstood person and not the abhorrent person people think he is.

it's not my fault everybody thinks i'm a bastard, it's theirs for not understanding me!
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2015, 11:52:36 pm »
I've been talking to Shkreli on Twitter.

...its almost fun to take delight in the sheer misfortune he's managed to bring upon himself and then confront him with it all.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2015, 11:57:47 pm »
I've been talking to Shkreli on Twitter.

...its almost fun to take delight in the sheer misfortune he's managed to bring upon himself and then confront him with it all.

niam, you sociopath...

(sorry, i had to)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2015, 12:31:31 am »
I'm interested in this out of sheer trainwreck syndrome now...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2015, 02:49:43 am »
Sorry about the necro...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/turing-drug-price-1.3337195

Hey, remember when he said he'd cut the price?

After weeks of criticism from patients, doctors and even other drugmakers for hiking a life-saving medicine's price more than fifty-fold, Turing Pharmaceuticals is reneging on its pledge to cut the $750-per-pill price.

Instead, the small biotech company says it's reducing the price for hospitals by up to 50 per cent for its Daraprim, which treats a rare parasitic infection that mainly strikes pregnant women and HIV patients.

Yeah. At least Imprimis is apparently keeping its pledge to produce the drug for cheap.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2015, 03:25:10 am »
I remember reading an article about Mr. Douchebag's company stock suffering but as I tried to find it I instead stumbled upon this:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-25/shkreli-says-price-increases-for-turing-drug-matter-little

Turns out that not only does he refuse to drop his prizes he has also bought another company and plans to do the same with a few other drugs... His defense is that this will only harm a few people and government has all kind of safety regulations to prevent everyone from doing the same with all the drugs but the way healthcare system is built in USA it is possible to find some drugs that can have their prizes raised massively and you can still get away with it...

Shkreli is also the new chief executive officer of KaloBios Pharmaceuticals Inc., after leading an investor group that bought a majority of the near-bankrupt biotechnology company. The shares were trading at less than $1 until last week, when the company disclosed Nov. 18 that Shkreli’s group had bought the stake. The stock was trading at $26.63 at the close in New York.

The move is not an attempt to reverse-merge Turing into a public company, Shkreli has said. Instead, he’s in talks to acquire three separate drugs, one of which is already approved by U.S. regulators, that could fit into the KaloBios’s portfolio, he said Wednesday. He also plans to develop KaloBios’s lenzilumab for a rare form of leukemia with no effective treatment approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2015, 11:33:41 am »
Wonder how that SEC investigation is going for him.

Ironbite-probably not good.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2015, 01:32:31 pm »
Dude is literally a bridge troll.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2015, 08:10:48 pm »
Can someone shoot him? Preferably before he can do more harm.

Edit: legally of course as do not support such actions, although hypothetically if he did die I wouldn't be shedding any tears.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:25:58 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2015, 08:15:35 pm »
The problem is not Shkreli per se, it's the system that allows the shit he does to be profitable. If he doesn't do it, someone else will.
Σא

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2015, 08:16:28 pm »

With the amount of raw hatred he's been garnering, its only a matter of time before someone tries it.

I'm pulling for the gunman.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »

With the amount of raw hatred he's been garnering, its only a matter of time before someone tries it.

I'm pulling for the gunman.
It's not even a matter of hate, the guy is legit putting live in danger with his shit.