Author Topic: I hoped this was a poe...  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
Re: I hoped this was a poe...
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 05:17:35 pm »
One beautiful dress after another strolled across the silver screen — and the women wearing them were elegant, self-assured and regal. Oh, how I love old black and white movies! As “The End” scrolled up the screen, my daughter sighed and asked, “Why don’t women dress like that anymore?”

God, I hate that shit. Why don't women dress like that anymore? I don't know, why don't they? Maybe you should start a trend. Then you'll figure out exactly why nobody spends their day running around in an evening gown.

True story: my aunt started watching Mad Men recently. She met the mother of one of her friends who worked as a clerk typist in New York City in the early '60s, much like the female characters in the show.

According to this woman, Mad Men's depiction of sexism in that era wasn't very far off from reality. Women employees were considered the lowest of the low. They were pressured to spend the majority of their paychecks on clothes, hair, and makeup. Every so often the office would hold a cocktail party on a floor where the women normally weren't allowed. When this happened, the secretaries and clerks were sent up and paraded around in front of the big shots.

That's not glamorous. That's stifling and unfair.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 05:36:52 pm »
But remember, Clochette, looks are everything! It's what's on the outside that counts!
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 06:16:16 pm »
Another reason why older films portray a whitewashed view of the past was because of the Hays code, which wasn't completely abandoned until the 60s. There's a fascinating movie about how directors got around the Hays code when it came to depicting homosexuality in American cinema, though I can't remember the name right now.

(click to show/hide)

Note that directors weren't allowed to criticize the clergy, use profanity, mention drugs or sexual health, criticize marriage, portray police officers in a bad light, or do anything that might be considered "seditious," among other bullshit. As for rape, it does say that "rape or attempted rape" can be depicted as long as it is done "tastefully," but at the time this probably simply meant that rape shouldn't be mentioned at all, or if it was it should be blamed on the woman. (A male rape victim probably would have never seen screen time.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:19:59 pm by Eva-Beatrice »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 12:22:06 am »
Because women never dressed provocatively in the old days, right?

Spoilered for NSFW.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 01:23:42 am »
            White slavery

Forced prostitution, for those not in the know.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 02:20:57 am »
This amuses me...I see her daughter was never told of Josephine Baker, or other actresses like her (Seriously, Josephine Baker is underappreciated even now. If you intend to google her, watch out for NSFW, just to warn you). Besides, we had a lot of other problems in the '50s and '60s...race riots, rampant sexism, bigotry in general, and let's not forget the Red Scare and McCarthyism.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 01:00:14 am »
            White slavery

Because forced prostitution of other races isn't as bad somehow? :/
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:53 am »
            White slavery

Because forced prostitution of other races isn't as bad somehow? :/

<racist>Who cares about the niggers, chinks, japs, injuns, etc...</racist>
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 11:11:39 am »
I do love the part about "having in mind the effect which a too-detailed description of these may have upon the moron". At least they were honest about people who are influenced by movies.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.