Author Topic: Bill Maher and Sam Harris Vs. Islam  (Read 11442 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Bill Maher and Sam Harris Vs. Islam
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 04:43:46 pm »
Yeah, I noticed the interview in Youtube and watched the beginning. It's getting late here so I will watch the whole thing later but there is one thing I have to comment on since it demonstrates my earlier points. When Harris claims that Jainism couldn't be used to justify violence I facepalmed since I had just earlier this week used the example of Jainism in similar discussion in Facebook pointing out that given the right circumstances radicalizing some Jainists the religion could probably be interpreted by them to support killing people who are seen as destroying too many lives as the lesser of two evils. This might even give birth to a whole new religion.

Harris is a trained scientist and probably a good one; he thinks about religion like he thinks about science. The failure of his thinking is that human beings don't generally think that way and specially not about their own religion. Picking and choosing what parts you like and what suits the current social atmosphere, reinterpreting them accordingly and discarding those parts that don't work for you is very common. The religious texts and doctrines aren't interpreted the same way as scientific studies and textbooks even by people who themselves believe they are reading them literally.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 06:10:00 pm »
I disagree with Harris when he starts jumping the gun and saying that Arabs should be profiled at airports, but I don't find anything wrong with his assertion that Islam is the most dangerous religion today. There is plenty of evidence outside theology that shows this to be the case.
Personally, I find a large group of xenophobic Christians with a massive superiority complex who are hell bent on ending the separation of church and state of a country which is equipped with the worlds largest conventional military on top of a ridiculously massive nuclear arsenal and a bad habit of mucking about in foreign affairs by arming extremists who later turn into enemies to be a tad more dangerous than a bunch of amateurs running around the desert with guns and IEDs in Allah's name.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:48 pm »
I disagree with Harris when he starts jumping the gun and saying that Arabs should be profiled at airports, but I don't find anything wrong with his assertion that Islam is the most dangerous religion today. There is plenty of evidence outside theology that shows this to be the case.
Personally, I find a large group of xenophobic Christians with a massive superiority complex who are hell bent on ending the separation of church and state of a country which is equipped with the worlds largest conventional military on top of a ridiculously massive nuclear arsenal and a bad habit of mucking about in foreign affairs by arming extremists who later turn into enemies to be a tad more dangerous than a bunch of amateurs running around the desert with guns and IEDs in Allah's name.

'The reason is, we can easily track the ones close to home. The ones in foreign nations and with vast criminal networks are harder to get at.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 01:32:10 pm »
I will say this much for Muslims. At least their hatred for atheism is sincere. I prefer that to the false love Christians claim to have for us. "Oh, we hate you and would love for you to die and suffer horribly, but because we're such loving and forgiving people, we will begrudgingly spare your worthless lives. Now where's our medal?" At least with Muslims, I know where I stand.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:41 pm »
I will say this much for Muslims. At least their hatred for atheism is sincere. I prefer that to the false love Christians claim to have for us. "Oh, we hate you and would love for you to die and suffer horribly, but because we're such loving and forgiving people, we will begrudgingly spare your worthless lives. Now where's our medal?" At least with Muslims, I know where I stand.

It just goes to show how far Christianity has been dragged kicking and screaming by secularization in recent centuries. Islam hasn't experienced that process yet.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 12:46:08 am »
Why do some atheists insist on being bigots?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 12:48:19 am »
Why do some atheists insist on being bigots?

Which kind?

For New Atheists that fit the definition, it's that they try so hard to appear skeptical that they forget to actually be smart about their skepticism.

For regular atheists, it's because racism is unfortunately capable of being secular.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Nemo

• Pope
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 12:42:34 am »
Just in case anybody thought that opposing Islam means you are "irrational".

I don't think opposing Islam means you are irrational

I think irrationally opposing Islam means you are irrational.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 02:15:30 am »
Just in case anybody thought that opposing Islam means you are "irrational".

The problem isn't Islam, it's religion. The real threat is anti-Islamic bigotry, and it's something sensible people like Bill Maher must not enable.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 12:37:02 am »
I guess it's better to throw this video in this thread than to make a new one for it. This is an interview with a former jihadist who started reconsidering his worldview after 9/11 and as a result turned into an undercover informant for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. There are no earth-shattering revelations here, just interesting experiences and observations that support points made earlier in the thread.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otVrZ2V-Pf8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otVrZ2V-Pf8</a>