Author Topic: FCC considers revising broadcast TV indecency policy, fundies have a fit  (Read 4165 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
I am so offended right now.

Ironbite-nobody actually watches the Grammies.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
The only problem I have with it is that you know certain stations and shows are going to exploit this potential loophole as much as they possibly can rather than as it is intended. It would be much more honest if they would just ask to be allowed to show 23 seconds of boobies and say 3 fucks, 5 shits, and 1 cocksucker per hour.

"...up next, a live interview with a drunken frat boy at the topless beach. Only on Fox 'news'..."

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
It's about damn time. Every little step like this will slowly reverse the damage that comes from getting offended by words and the human form. There is nothing wrong with either one.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Distind

Do it, Let's see if fox under cuts it's supposed moral high ground within seconds or minutes of it coming into effect.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
I'm not sure I agree with this new policy.  People should know what to expect from TV.  Profanity and nudity on a news station?  That's just plain gratuitous.  That's why we have tape delay.

I think it should be up to the individual network whether they want to censor those things or not. Profanity and nudity are parts of life, it's not like they're particularly shocking.
Right. And if you don't like it, don't watch it.
That makes sense.  However, I think that each show should be rated accordingly.

The problem is, how do you rate a live show? Do you rate it 18+ just because someone might drop an F-bomb or flash the camera? Or do you rate it at the audience for whom it would be appropriate under normal circumstances and get blasted by viewers when someone inevitably does do that?
Remember that networks often put more mature content on later at night with the idea being many (if not most) children would be in bed by then. Far from foolproof, no doubt, but when I was little I couldn't watch things like South Park for that very reason.

Once my dad saw a glowing review of South Park in the paper, thought it was a kids' show, and actually requested that I stay up to watch it. It never occurred to him why such a show would be on so late at night.
Bet he's a big fan of Cartman.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Like I said, I don't know if this is a good idea but I do agree with some of the points that other posters have said, that there should be some forewarning or rating before the show. It's what they always have done. Now, I just wonder how far stations will go when these restrictions are lifted as I, for one, would love to see Chef Ramsey swearing with out all of the annoying bleeps.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
I can't imagine news stations taking it too far, given the backlash they'd receive from parents. They want to maintain or improve their ratings.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline BrandonL337

• Tyrannical Pervert Judge (MWAHAHAHA)
  • Apprentice
Do it, Let's see if fox under cuts it's supposed moral high ground within seconds or minutes of it coming into effect.

It's only a matter of time, considering Bill O'Reilly's fondness for showing Spring Break footage while decrying the "sexy strumpets" poledancing over his shoulder.

Offline terri

• Neonate
When CBS broadcast a Chicago Hope episode wherein a character said "shit happens," they left it intact but let their affiliates decide whether or not to bleep it.  The buzz over the airing of the word probably inspired the South Park episode "It Hits the Fan."

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
Reasonable background checks before selling people guns = Big Government Fascism
Having the Government regulate what you watch on TV for the sake of your kids rather than just turning the tv off and telling your kids to go out and play = Small Government Libertarianism

It's nice to know the fundies are so logical.