Author Topic: 2022 World Cup may not be in Qatar  (Read 2683 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
2022 World Cup may not be in Qatar
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »
(Yes, I realize this is sports, but the World Cup is almost unique among sporting events in its reach.)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/qatar-will-not-host-2022-world-cup-fifa-official-1.2773943

Qatar will not be hosting the 2022 World Cup of Soccer, FIFA executive committee member Theo Zwanziger told Sport Bild on Monday.

"I personally think that, in the end, the 2022 World Cup will not take place in Qatar," he said, citing the region's sweltering summer climate.

"Medics say that they cannot accept responsibility with a World Cup taking place under these conditions."

Sport Bild article (in German): http://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/2014/fussball/zwanziger-katar-verliert-die-wm-2022-37761472.sport.html

ITV article: http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-22/fifa-executive-committee-member-theo-zwanziger-believes-qatar-will-be-stripped-of-2020-world-cup/

The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/fifa-qatar-2022-world-cup-theo-zwanziger

It'll be interesting to see where it goes if Qatar is stripped of it. Australia, perhaps, to keep it in the AFC? Or perhaps the US, given that CONCACAF hasn't had a World Cup since 1994 (longer than any other non-OFC confederation) and they were runner-up to Qatar in the voting?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: 2022 World Cup may not be in Qatar
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »
John Oliver commented that having the Cup in Qatar makes as much sense as having a basketball tournament in a lake. It is simply physically impossible to play football in Qatar, the players have been fainting from the heat in the previous Cup (and apparently there was a first time ever for some break during the match due to heat.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:43 pm »
John Oliver commented that having the Cup in Qatar makes as much sense as having a basketball tournament in a lake. It is simply physically impossible to play football in Qatar, the players have been fainting from the heat in the previous Cup (and apparently there was a first time ever for some break during the match due to heat.)

Do you have a source for this?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:50:27 pm »

The John Oliver quote? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I (Also, it was the Super Bowl, not a basketball tournament.)

As for the break in the match, yes, that happened in Brazil. I watched at least one game with such a break.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:52:49 pm »

The John Oliver quote? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I (Also, it was the Super Bowl, not a basketball tournament.)

As for the break in the match, yes, that happened in Brazil. I watched at least one game with such a break.

Well then, it looks like they dropped the ball on this one.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:56:33 pm »

Qatar made promises regarding cooling systems in the stadiums, that and oil money and corruption and stuff.

Part of me really did want to see Qatar host, if only to then see Israel qualify.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:33 am »
I love it that Oliver said that corruption is the only logical explanation for holding the Cup in Qatar.

...Because it makes so little sense to do it that "bribery" is more believable than the FIFA being so STUPID that they would believe it to be a place for football.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:50 am »
Oh no!  Now what will all those workers who Qatar has building the stadium die for now?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 09:57:48 am »

ba-dum-TISH!!
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 01:05:11 pm »
It's nice to see that the FIFA is keeping their priorities straight. Letting Qatar build its World Cup infrastructure with the sweat and blood of slave migrant workers was all fun and games, but the madness has to stop before the famous, wealthy athletes are involved. They might get a sunstroke!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:33 pm »
Anyone have change for a Qatar?

Do you know how to play the Qatar?

All I drank was a Qatar of a cup.

I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »
Oh no!  Now what will all those workers who Qatar has building the stadium die for now?

Caring about the welfare of their slaves? LOOOOOL.