Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2069348 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7140 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:14 pm »
Aren't bald eagles extremely protected since they're a national symbol and all?  That's before you count them also being endangered.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7141 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:09 pm »
I was gonna make a joke about how those bears should consider themselves lucky that they're not black.

Then I remembered that they're black bears.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7142 on: April 15, 2014, 07:34:03 pm »
Youtube has shat the bed yet again. How exactly does a site as big and well funded as Youtube fuck up something as elementary as having the subscriptions page actually update?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7143 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:43 pm »
I hate this feeling, feeling scrawny, ugly and weak, that I'll never look like one of those bodybuilders.

Then when I get a weight check for some health class, with barely two figures into body mass index, it tells me I'm overweight.

I just feel like I cannot win.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7144 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:43 pm »
I hate this feeling, feeling scrawny, ugly and weak, that I'll never look like one of those bodybuilders.

Then when I get a weight check for some health class, with barely two figures into body mass index, it tells me I'm overweight.

Isn't BMI bullshit except as a statistic anyways?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7145 on: April 16, 2014, 01:41:56 am »

I don't think it works well for statistics either.

It is way too inaccurate because it doesn't correct for the fact that muscles weigh more than fat or what type of fat you have and occasionally just gives plain weird results. (Some ethnic groups in particular do not get real results from BMI http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101117113007.htm )

http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/26/why-bmi-isnt-the-best-measure-for-weight-or-health/
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7146 on: April 16, 2014, 02:00:06 am »

Oh, right, I had heard that somewhere. All the same, whenever I look at myself in the mirror, the result is either "too scrawny" or "too fat". I don't know how I waver between these two, but I do.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7147 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:33 am »
Aren't bald eagles extremely protected since they're a national symbol and all?  That's before you count them also being endangered.

They've been reclassified from that status, which is great news, over all. They are under joint species stewardship between the US and Canada. And yes, they are the treasured national symbol. However, when I say I'm worried about connected rich folks getting riled about a missing Chihuahua or seeing a kitten in an eagle's talons, remember that uber asshole Rick Scott is the governor here, and that he has systematically appointed assholes to all the executive bureau positions he can, including Fish and Game. Hence, the needless slaughter of every black bear in the immediate region of every bear attack incident. Bald Eagles are fair game, basically, with this kind of reactionary idiocy being SOP under Gov. Scott. Regardless, a lot of these douchebag neighbors I'm referring to are deer, boar, duck and pheasant hunters with the means and skills needed to just shoot a bird because stupid douchebag.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bald_eagle/lifehistory

Bald Eagles are classified by the IUCN with a tag of LC, "Least Concern"

In 1978 the bird was listed for protection under the Endangered Species Act. Since 1980, gentler treatment by humans along with the banning of DDT (the bird’s main pesticide threat) have led to a dramatic resurgence. By the late 1990s, breeding populations of Bald Eagles could be found throughout most of North America. In June 2007, the bird’s recovery prompted its removal from the Endangered Species list.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7148 on: April 16, 2014, 12:20:59 pm »
I've heard that BMI assumes human beings are two-dimensional.  Is it true that it fails to take height into account?  Because to me, that sounds like a major oversight.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7149 on: April 16, 2014, 12:24:36 pm »
I've heard that BMI assumes human beings are two-dimensional.  Is it true that it fails to take height into account?  Because to me, that sounds like a major oversight.

The exact opposite: it's based purely on height compared to weight.

The problem is that it fails to take into account differences in density between muscle, bone, fat, etc. It also doesn't take into account exactly how the person is built and where they store their fat (certain areas on the body are healthier to store fat in).

Trying to determine your health or desirability based on BMI is little better than trying to determine it from the size of your head.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7150 on: April 16, 2014, 12:58:14 pm »

Oh, right, I had heard that somewhere. All the same, whenever I look at myself in the mirror, the result is either "too scrawny" or "too fat". I don't know how I waver between these two, but I do.

here;

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84158?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=CJah0bW65b0CFZRr7AodATAAPQ

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

niam, don't fall into the trap of body image dysmorphia.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7151 on: April 16, 2014, 01:04:58 pm »
I haven't had a sunburn in 17 years, whereas my wife can burn in the shade.  We're in Florida right now, and we decided to try spray-on sunblock.  It worked great for her, but it apparently didn't stick to me, because I'm burned. But I didn't just burn normally, I burned in narrow stripes down my shoulders and upper arms, and in random patches on my forearms, the back of my hands, and my feet.  WTF?

EDIT:  she is my wife.  Apparently I never said that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:51:42 am by Veras »
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7152 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »

They've been reclassified from that status, which is great news, over all. They are under joint species stewardship between the US and Canada. And yes, they are the treasured national symbol. However, when I say I'm worried about connected rich folks getting riled about a missing Chihuahua or seeing a kitten in an eagle's talons, remember that uber asshole Rick Scott is the governor here, and that he has systematically appointed assholes to all the executive bureau positions he can, including Fish and Game. Hence, the needless slaughter of every black bear in the immediate region of every bear attack incident. Bald Eagles are fair game, basically, with this kind of reactionary idiocy being SOP under Gov. Scott. Regardless, a lot of these douchebag neighbors I'm referring to are deer, boar, duck and pheasant hunters with the means and skills needed to just shoot a bird because stupid douchebag.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bald_eagle/lifehistory

Bald Eagles are classified by the IUCN with a tag of LC, "Least Concern"

In 1978 the bird was listed for protection under the Endangered Species Act. Since 1980, gentler treatment by humans along with the banning of DDT (the bird’s main pesticide threat) have led to a dramatic resurgence. By the late 1990s, breeding populations of Bald Eagles could be found throughout most of North America. In June 2007, the bird’s recovery prompted its removal from the Endangered Species list.

I imagine that even conservatives would complain about people wanting to get rid of bald eagles, what with the whole "MURICA" thing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7153 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »

here;

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84158?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=CJah0bW65b0CFZRr7AodATAAPQ

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

niam, don't fall into the trap of body image dysmorphia.

Body Image Dysmorphia seems to be a recurring problem for me. I don't really know how to handle it without feeling like people are gonna laugh at me just for bringing up that.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7154 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:39 pm »
I haven't had a sunburn in 17 years, whereas she can burn in the shade.  We're in Florida right now, and we decided to try spray-on sunblock.  It worked great for her, but it apparently didn't stick to me, because I'm burned. But I didn't just burn normally, I burned in narrow stripes down my shoulders and upper arms, and in random patches on my forearms, the back of my hands, and my feet.  WTF?

Use a soft microfiber cloth or a fine pored makeup sponge, wetted with the sunblock spray, and wipe it on using circular motions for more even coverage. Personally, I turned a lovely, refreshing shade of lemon yellow when I (evenly) applied SPF50 sunblock for the first tanning session of the season on my pasty white skin. Might as well draw a  :)  on my face with a magic marker.