Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2069999 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8475 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:16 am »
People who act superior for not taking sides in an internet debate.
Was it a pointless fight?

Because I think less of people who spends huge amounts of time and energy arguing over trivial matter with complete strangers on the internet. Flaming people, personal insults and claims of being ex navy SEAL and staying up late at night simply because someone claimed that fictional space ship is a different shade of grey than you think...

I have seen some pretty stupid debates on internet and at least I can say that I did not take part in some of them.

Oh, that's fine, what annoys me are those "LOL, you are both pathetic nerds, it amuses me 2 watch you bicker." comments.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8476 on: January 06, 2015, 12:52:10 am »

Because I think less of people who spends huge amounts of time and energy arguing over trivial matter with complete strangers on the internet. Flaming people, personal insults and claims of being ex navy SEAL and staying up late at night simply because someone claimed that fictional space ship is a different shade of grey than you think...

I have seen some pretty stupid debates on internet and at least I can say that I did not take part in some of them.

Oh, that's fine, what annoys me are those "LOL, you are both pathetic nerds, it amuses me 2 watch you bicker." comments.
If you're referring to GaseousGambit, then guilty as charged and damn proud of it. Some arguments are important, others are worthy of nothing but scorn.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8477 on: January 06, 2015, 02:32:51 am »

If you're referring to GaseousGambit, then guilty as charged and damn proud of it. Some arguments are important, others are worthy of nothing but scorn.
I wasn't.
Also, FQA 101: we love getting into pointless arguments with people.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:07:29 am by I am lizard »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8478 on: January 06, 2015, 03:09:47 am »
"Why should I care about [person] dying? Tons of poeple die every day, what makes this one special?"
-le smart 14 year old gentleman

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8479 on: January 07, 2015, 11:49:02 am »
Visual Studio has gone fucking senile again, and isn't doing what I'm fucking tell it to do, and YES, I'm doing it the right way.  Motherfucker, I just wanted to make some progress on a project, but apparently, THAT'S TOO MUCH TO FUCKING ASK.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8480 on: January 07, 2015, 01:56:05 pm »
While we're at that, I keep getting overflow errors even after triple-checking that all numbers involved should fit.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8481 on: January 08, 2015, 04:06:12 am »
Stuck pixels.

Also, the expression "my heart goes out to [whomever]". What the fuck does that even mean?!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:06:10 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8482 on: January 09, 2015, 12:42:19 pm »
Trying to start a creative Minecraft world, only to accidentally create a hardcore one instead.  How is this possible?  Because fucking muscle memory from the pre-Hardcore days screwing me over, since creative used to be one click away from survival, and is now two clicks away.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8483 on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:30 am »
Just saw a trailer for the Alan Turing movie, and zero mention of his homosexuality, instead Keira Knightley played up as his film partner. No romance elements at least, so I'm holding out hope the actual movie is better about it. I can follow why the trailer would be designed to play it down (Lowest common denominator, show things that entice the average person), but it's still wrong. This is what people mean when they talk about erasure.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8484 on: January 13, 2015, 09:21:28 am »
I dunno, on one hand, I agree with ya, Turing was a major (if tragic) figure in gay history.  On another, it bugs me quite a bit when Hollywood all but screams "THIS PERSON IS GAY" at the viewer, and making it their key defining feature.  I prefer it when "gay" is just another part of a larger character, not their sole defining feature, but here...not having Turing's homosexuality be a large part of his character might not be appropriate.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8485 on: January 13, 2015, 10:18:36 am »
There was that american advert for a movie based on a true story about homosexual-organisation that protested in support of miners in England, where all the references to the organisation being made up of homosexuals were removed and the banners they held on the cover of the DVD were edited as well.

So, although you could argue that Turing was more than just his sexuality (and even then it should have been mentioned due to how it affected his life) in the latter case they removed a very important fact as they just referred to them as "protesters" and tried to cover up the very reason why that organisation existed.

I can't find the article in question now but here is a bit about the movie: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/31/pride-film-gay-activists-miners-strike-interview

Here an image from the actual event:

If you remove the "Lesbians & gays" bit from the banner don't you think it kinda takes out an important fact?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it now: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30679455
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8486 on: January 15, 2015, 01:50:14 am »
Hyperbolic nonsense about how men are the true victims.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8487 on: January 17, 2015, 11:03:25 pm »
That thing where when someone comes out as queer in fiction they immediately change their entire look and get a makeover, new clothing styles, etc., often finishing with wanting to go into hairdressing or theater or interior decorating.

Before I came out as bisexual, I dressed in mostly practical and efficient clothing and my main ambition was to become a paleontologist. After I came out, I...still dressed in practical and efficient clothing and wanted to be a paleontologist.

Note to the media next time: We're still the same people we were before coming out, and to imply otherwise is just feeding the "it's a choice" bullshit.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8488 on: January 17, 2015, 11:53:02 pm »
That thing where when someone comes out as queer in fiction they immediately change their entire look and get a makeover, new clothing styles, etc., often finishing with wanting to go into hairdressing or theater or interior decorating.

Before I came out as bisexual, I dressed in mostly practical and efficient clothing and my main ambition was to become a paleontologist. After I came out, I...still dressed in practical and efficient clothing and wanted to be a paleontologist.

Note to the media next time: We're still the same people we were before coming out, and to imply otherwise is just feeding the "it's a choice" bullshit.

If it has no effect on the character, is it worth mentioning in fiction? It would at least have to set up a plot point later.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8489 on: January 18, 2015, 12:38:22 am »

If it has no effect on the character, is it worth mentioning in fiction? It would at least have to set up a plot point later.

There are any number of plot developments that could result from a coming-out that wouldn't involve derailing the character. Conflict with conservative parents, new love interests, etc. all work off it despite nothing else being different.