Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2069910 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9390 on: November 18, 2015, 01:18:39 pm »
I do like the penguins, Askold. They had a show on Nick once upon a time. Their interactions with King Julien was great.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9391 on: November 19, 2015, 01:38:32 am »
I just placed and order with an online store that sells knifes, swords, military surplus and such, and I kinda fucked up the order. They had a bunch of gas masks like half off and I decided to get some with the money I had left on the prepaid card I got the other day to use to order computer parts. Well, I thought maybe I'd get multiples of a couple of them and give them away as Christmas gifts to my little brother and friend, both of whom really like the mask I have now. I ended up deciding not to order the multiples, at least not right now. Problem is I forgot to change the number of items in the cart. Now I have almost $100 in gas masks set to be shipped tomorrow(Along with a water bottle, a old Czech helmet, and a knockoff Mora knife that was literally $1).

Unfortunately I can't cancel the order online. I'm gonna try calling tomorrow to see if I can either cancel or change the order. If not, or if they want to charge a ridiculous fee for doing so, then fuck it I'll just go with it and do as I originally thought and give them away at Christmas. Should go well since one is identical to a mask that appears in Fallout 4, which both my friend and little brother love.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9392 on: November 19, 2015, 07:47:22 am »
I just placed and order with an online store that sells knifes, swords, military surplus and such, and I kinda fucked up the order. They had a bunch of gas masks like half off and I decided to get some with the money I had left on the prepaid card I got the other day to use to order computer parts. Well, I thought maybe I'd get multiples of a couple of them and give them away as Christmas gifts to my little brother and friend, both of whom really like the mask I have now. I ended up deciding not to order the multiples, at least not right now. Problem is I forgot to change the number of items in the cart. Now I have almost $100 in gas masks set to be shipped tomorrow(Along with a water bottle, a old Czech helmet, and a knockoff Mora knife that was literally $1).

Unfortunately I can't cancel the order online. I'm gonna try calling tomorrow to see if I can either cancel or change the order. If not, or if they want to charge a ridiculous fee for doing so, then fuck it I'll just go with it and do as I originally thought and give them away at Christmas. Should go well since one is identical to a mask that appears in Fallout 4, which both my friend and little brother love.

are they functional masks or not? the surplus i worked in last year sold them but they were decomissioned, so couldn't be used. i'd be very curious to see them. naturally, you can always sell them to airsoft and cosplay enthusiasts, depending on how many you got.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #9393 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »
To be fair, thats because Megamind was a fucking masterpiece.

Agreed 100%!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9394 on: November 19, 2015, 07:24:52 pm »
Ok. On the minions a second. I've seen the first one more times than I can count, little kids and all. First of all, it's a little kids movie. I hope nobody was expecting Shakespeare or Laurence of Arabia. Most (but not all) kids movies are crap. So comparing apples to apples, DM wasn't near as bad as it could have been. Certainly better than Elmo. Honestly, I was more worried about Russell Brand in a kids movie than I was annoyed about the minions. At first.
My kids figured out the lesson pretty quick. Gru was a weirdo. He talked with an accent, looked odd, his house didn't really fit in with the rest of the neighborhood. But under all that, he wasn't really a bad guy. When the kids took the time to get to know him, they realized that. So my kids took away that it was a movie celebrating inclusion and going beyond skin deep. There are worse lessons from movies for young'uns.

Maybe Disney has spoiled me, because I'm not used to thinking of kids' movies as "mostly crap."

I'm one of those people who thought both DM and Minions were fun (I haven't seen DM2), but it's mainly because I'm not expecting the plot to be super-complex.  Dreamworks is good at making things that look good and are entertaining (see also: Shrek, Kung-Fu Panda), but if you're expecting plot complexity or lots of symbolism like you get from Disney, you will be disappointed.

Now if you want shitty kids' movies, the Lego Elves tie-in film (it was on Netflix, I was bored) is complete shit.  Oh, the animation is gorgeous, no doubt about that.  But the action isn't enough to make the plot interesting (and it's a typical kid-fell-through-portal, needs-to-get-home story, which I didn't think you could fuck up that badly).  The major tell that something is wrong?  The toy is for ages 8-14.  The film is recommended by Netflix for ages 2-4.  When there's that big a disconnect between the target audience for your toy and the target audience for the 30-minute animated toy commercial, you have done something very, very wrong.  NEVER watch it with your kids.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9395 on: November 20, 2015, 12:32:28 am »
For the record... My daughters like the Lego elves thingy, but they are 2 and 4 so they fit into the age group. Haven't bought the Legos yet because their brother still tries to eat everything.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9396 on: November 20, 2015, 09:07:50 am »
I swear, every time I hear stuff like that, I can't help but wonder how we, as a species, survived if we're born that stupid.  Then again, I guess most parents are of at least average intelligence, but still...god damn.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9397 on: November 20, 2015, 09:13:21 am »
Human beings are blank slates for the first 2 years.  Then we get a software upload and suddenly PERSONALITY!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9398 on: November 20, 2015, 09:14:30 am »
*sighs*  I miss Tabula Rasa.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9399 on: November 21, 2015, 03:44:21 am »

are they functional masks or not? the surplus i worked in last year sold them but they were decomissioned, so couldn't be used. i'd be very curious to see them. naturally, you can always sell them to airsoft and cosplay enthusiasts, depending on how many you got.

Technically functional but past their expiration date, meaning they might work if you really needed them. I wouldn't trust them in a serious situation, but fine for dust and probably smoke of some types. If you were in a bad situation it'd probably be better than nothing and at least reduce exposure if nothing else. The site explicitly says these are for display and costume use only and that any use in a remotely hazardous situation is at your own risk. I've got plenty of mileage out of the one I have now as a Halloween costume.

I was able to cancel the order and haven't reordered yet, I'm waiting for another 25% off sale to come around (like once a week at this site).

Here's links to the pages for all of them. They ship internationally (Which surprised me) if you're interested. Of course I'm sure a large number of items they sell are probably restricted in various countries, but I doubt gasmasks are among them.

Czech mask with round filter $13 USD for two with a buy one, get one free deal (Appears as "Gasmask w/ Goggles" in Fallout 4): Link
Other Czech mask based on US mask $20 USD (Another version with drinking tube is sold): Link
Russian mask with hose $13 USD (Another version without hose is also sold):Link
Link to full gasmask selection: Link

Unfortunately new, functional, military or similar grade masks are a few hundred dollars and a new filter is about $70 each.

I used my Israeli mask when sanding the old paint of the hood of my truck when I first got it and the paint was flaking from long term sun exposure. By the end my shirt was pink from the red paint dust and soaking wet from moisture blown out the exhaust port of the air powered sander. One of those cheap paper dust masks would have worked, but I didn't have one on hand and didn't feel like going and getting some from the store. I though I might as well go overkill instead of have paint dust in my nose for a week.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:59:51 am by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9400 on: November 21, 2015, 11:10:10 am »
i've never handled those models, personnally, but it seems that rules and regulations are the same for surplus across countries. really cool, madcat :)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9401 on: November 21, 2015, 02:10:07 pm »
Definitely wet sand next time. Especially since you have a compressor and air tools. Less mess and wet sand paper is much longer lasting. Just frequently mist the surface with a spray bottle of plain water that you've added a couple drops of any liquid soap to.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9402 on: November 21, 2015, 04:40:23 pm »
People flipping their shitover GM foods.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Even Then

« Reply #9403 on: November 21, 2015, 04:43:02 pm »
Homophobic Facebook groups deleting comments off their page and then denying that they deleted them.

EDIT: And then banning me from commenting and deleting MY comments for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 04:45:43 pm by Even Then »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9404 on: November 21, 2015, 05:55:10 pm »
People flipping their shitover GM foods.

The Daily Show put it pretty nicely when they said the argument against GM foods is basically "we know that dna altering technology cannot leak into the human body...BUT WHAT IF IT COULD!?!?"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer