Author Topic: Turkey responds to Syrian cross-border mortar attack  (Read 3697 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Turkey responds to Syrian cross-border mortar attack
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:50 am »
Right. Still, I think the US wouldn't be amiss showing that we can do the hard work when we have to.
Unless you're implying that everyone has forgotten about Iraq and Afghanistan, I get the feeling that that's not really an issue. On the contrary, the general consensus among us foreigners is that the Americans are a wee bit too trigger happy. It may be wise to tone down the interventionism, just a tad.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:15 am »
Right. Still, I think the US wouldn't be amiss showing that we can do the hard work when we have to.
Unless you're implying that everyone has forgotten about Iraq and Afghanistan, I get the feeling that that's not really an issue. On the contrary, the general consensus among us foreigners is that the Americans are a wee bit too trigger happy. It may be wise to tone down the interventionism, just a tad.

I don't think there is any domestic political support for U.S. intervention in Syria.  Besides, we don't really have the budget for it right now.*

*Not that a little thing like economics stopped us from going into Iraq and Afghanistan anyway, but still.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »

I don't think there is any domestic political support for U.S. intervention in Syria.  Besides, we don't really have the budget for it right now.*

*Not that a little thing like economics stopped us from going into Iraq and Afghanistan anyway, but still.
More importantly, I don't think Syria has much in the way of oil for us to steal.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
Why do you just talk about an U.S. intervention? NATO has more countries than just U.S. and Turkey.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
Why do you just talk about an U.S. intervention? NATO has more countries than just U.S. and Turkey.

I'd imagine if there were to be NATO intervention the most involved countries would be the closest geographically, as with Libya. So Italy, Greece, Turkey and Britain (via RAF Akrotiri on Cyprus) would probably supply the airbases and some of the aircraft.
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:13 pm »
Right. Still, I think the US wouldn't be amiss showing that we can do the hard work when we have to. Besides, I have a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night that Assad might be a harder target than Gaddafi, so maybe throwing in some Yanks to support the Brits and the Frogs might be a good idea. Of course, it would be even better if we could get the Israelis to ROFLstomp Assad.
At least one commentator I've read supported the Israelis kicking Assad out, as it would give them one solid ally as neighbour (cf. gratitude) and all that bleeding-heart humanitarian good PR (my cynical words, not theirs). Sounds good, but imho there's a danger of people just seeing Israel invade a neighbour and suddenly forgetting the who and why. Also, the Israelis tend to out-trigger-happy the Yanks.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.