Author Topic: USC Redefines Rape  (Read 3142 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
USC Redefines Rape
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:34:31 am »
Exactly what it says on the tin.

According to the California Penal Code, “Rape is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person not the spouse of the perpetrator…” The federal definition, according to the FBI, reads “The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.” Nowhere in either definition does it say that rape only occurs when the perpetrator has an orgasm. But that’s what campus cops at the University of Southern California allegedly told a student who had been raped by her ex-boyfriend. Other students have also come forward to tell their stories of how they were raped and campus police did nothing but protect the assailants.

As a result, the group of sexual assault victims have filed a Title IX complaint with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. The Huffington Post reports that the complaint alleges that campus police ignored their duty to victims of crimes by telling them that they weren’t really raped or that they should have expected to be raped.

“One student involved in the USC complaint, who asked to remain anonymous, said a DPS detective told her the campus police determined that no rape occurred in her case because her alleged assailant did not orgasm, and that therefore they had decided not to refer the case to the Los Angeles Police Department.

“Because he stopped, it was not rape,” she was told, according to the complaint. “Even though his penis penetrated your vagina, because he stopped, it was not a crime.”"

Just... fuck USC. Fuck all the USC. Fuck it.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: USC Redefines Rape
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »
I'm just as irked that under California law, marital rape is not criminal. (At least it appears to be so under federal law.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:08:06 pm »
I'm just as irked that under California law, marital rape is not criminal. (At least it appears to be so under federal law.)

But if it is a federal law then can't a person be put to trial based on that even if California doesn't outlaw marital rape?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »
Despite the fact that federal law says colleges must report all crimes that happen on their campuses to the police for further investigation, they still cover up huge numbers of crimes, particularly rapes, because they want to keep their image squeaky-clean to prospective students. At this point I'd say the best option is to go directly to the real police and not the campus police who have a vested interest in covering your case up.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »
Those campus officers are to be fired immediately then sued to hell and back.

The bold part of the law is fucking stupid:
"(a)Rape is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person not the spouse of the perpetrator, under any of the following circumstances:"

Should be rewritten to:
(a)Rape is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished under any of the following circumstances:

Because these parts are good:

(2)Where it is accomplished against a person's will by means of force, violence, duress, menace, or fear of immediate and unlawful bodily injury on the person or another.

(6)Where the act is accomplished against the victim's will by threatening to retaliate in the future against the victim or any other person, and there is a reasonable possibility that the perpetrator will execute the threat. As used in this paragraph, "threatening to retaliate" means a threat to kidnap or falsely imprison, or to inflict extreme pain, serious bodily injury, or death.

(7)Where the act is accomplished against the victim's will by threatening to use the authority of a public official to incarcerate, arrest, or deport the victim or another, and the victim has a reasonable belief that the perpetrator is a public official. As used in this paragraph, "public official" means a person employed by a governmental agency who has the authority, as part of that position, to incarcerate, arrest, or deport another. The perpetrator does not actually have to be a public official.

(b)As used in this section, "duress" means a direct or implied threat of force, violence, danger, or retribution sufficient to coerce a reasonable person of ordinary susceptibilities to perform an act which otherwise would not have been performed, or acquiesce in an act to which one otherwise would not have submitted. The total circumstances, including the age of the victim, and his or her relationship to the defendant, are factors to consider in appraising the existence of duress.

(c)As used in this section, "menace" means any threat, declaration, or act which shows an intention to inflict an injury upon another.

Despite the fact that federal law says colleges must report all crimes that happen on their campuses to the police for further investigation, they still cover up huge numbers of crimes, particularly rapes, because they want to keep their image squeaky-clean to prospective students. At this point I'd say the best option is to go directly to the real police and not the campus police who have a vested interest in covering your case up.
Its like being a whistle blower!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:21:13 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:53:31 pm »
Wow, TIM made a post I have not only no trouble understanding, but I agree completely with.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »
I know!  It's a sign of the end times!

Ironbite-seriously...fuck the USC campus police.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:05:26 pm »
Methinks if the officer got a dick in his ass that didn't orgasm, he'd be singing a different tune.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 07:10:12 pm »
I...  ...fuck.  I got nothing, because that shit's just fucked.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

wrightway

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:02 pm »
Yet another reason why going to college sucks in this day and age.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »

But if it is a federal law then can't a person be put to trial based on that even if California doesn't outlaw marital rape?

According to the commenters in the article (and the link one of them posted), the author quoted the section dealing with non-marital rape, and that the law dealing with spousal rape is in the following section.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »

According to the commenters in the article (and the link one of them posted), the author quoted the section dealing with non-marital rape, and that the law dealing with spousal rape is in the following section.

Oh, OK, that's better then. (Unless there are different standards for marital rape as opposed to non-marital rape.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:24:41 am »
Huh. And to think I spent a few months working around this campus. Seeing as I know exactly how to get there, it would be so easy to [redacted due to NSA spying].
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:17 am »
I say we grab these people, and dump them directly into the path of the Yosemite fire.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 12:44:58 am »
Huh. And to think I spent a few months working around this campus. Seeing as I know exactly how to get there, it would be so easy to [redacted due to NSA spying].
Why do you keep doing that? Is it to make a [redacted due to NSA spying]?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.