Author Topic: Venezuela's going to hell...  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Venezuela's going to hell...
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:11 pm »
There's no way a direct intervention from America could possibly end well. It always results in an even bigger mess than was there in the first place.
Except in Colombia, Yugoslavia, Libya...

Libya and Yougoslavia were total disasters, they didn't work at all. I don't know about Colombia, but I assume you mean the ATF?
No, I was referring to Pablo Escobar.  Besides, Yugoslavia's gotten better, and while Libya's not perfect, it certainly isn't Iraq.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:21 pm »
Ukraine and now Venezuela too? And what's almost as bad is the media isn't reporting it!

Actually, they have been. Though there's also a bunch of radical leftist idiots on Tumblr who seem to think it's actually an overthrow orchestrated by the US government.
You mean the same radical leftist who doesn't realize that the protests in Cambodia and subsequent violence suppression of the protest was caused by East Asian nations and not the United States? The United States have fucked up a lot of places, but they're not they only ones to do that.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 09:33:43 pm »
There's no way a direct intervention from America could possibly end well. It always results in an even bigger mess than was there in the first place.

Libya and Yougoslavia were total disasters, they didn't work at all. I don't know about Colombia, but I assume you mean the ATF?
No, I was referring to Pablo Escobar.  Besides, Yugoslavia's gotten better, and while Libya's not perfect, it certainly isn't Iraq.

Yeah, the South American element to the War on Drugs hasn't exactly been a great victory either.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 09:36:41 pm »

Yeah, the South American element to the War on Drugs hasn't exactly been a great victory either.
In some ways, it has.  The drug trade is vastly diminished in Colombia, thanks partially to the destruction of the Medellín and Cali Cartels.  Things are much better down there.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 10:02:27 pm »

Maybe they should go back to indirect support like when they helped the locals roust the Soviets from Afghanistan...

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 10:38:39 pm »
Until someone can suggest something that won't make the situation worse, don't do anything.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 11:08:57 pm »
Until someone can suggest something that won't make the situation worse, don't do anything.
Yeah, this is not a time to be going off half-cocked.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 11:13:16 pm »
There's also something to be said for not sticking our collective dicks into other countries' affairs. Contrary to what a lot of people in America seem to think these days, it's not a bad thing to not go throwing troops at problems that are none of your damn business in the first place.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 08:25:52 am »
There's also something to be said for not sticking our collective dicks into other countries' affairs. Contrary to what a lot of people in America seem to think these days, it's not a bad thing to not go throwing troops at problems that are none of your damn business in the first place.

B-b-but what will we do to distract ourselves from our own nation's problems if we can't pull a "white man's burden" on another?
Same as always, blame the gays.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 12:18:27 pm »

B-b-but what will we do to distract ourselves from our own nation's problems if we can't pull a "white man's burden" on another?

Reality TV?
Σא

Offline Canadian Mojo

• The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 05:04:29 pm »

Reality TV?

Now there is some hyprocracy for you:
Using WMD's on your own population when you have used that as a reason for intervening militarily in the internal affairs of foreign countries on multiple occasions.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 05:09:36 pm »
I hope things get better down there.