Author Topic: Daily Mail vs. Gawker  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Daily Mail vs. Gawker
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 09:51:55 am »
If you want to gloat about horrible people being horrible to each other, by all means. I can get the joke behind "whoever loses, we win".

But maybe you should also remember that's not actually true, and there is actually a party on the right here. Whichever one that is, it actually matters whether they win or not for the purposes of free speech. Otherwise, this falls uncomfortably close to the idea that everything bad that happens to someone you dislike is justified.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 10:13:24 am »
If you want to gloat about horrible people being horrible to each other, by all means. I can get the joke behind "whoever loses, we win".

But maybe you should also remember that's not actually true, and there is actually a party on the right here. Whichever one that is, it actually matters whether they win or not for the purposes of free speech. Otherwise, this falls uncomfortably close to the idea that everything bad that happens to someone you dislike is justified.

I guess you've got a point.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 09:28:25 pm »
i'm almost with ultie on this one. i'd propose to nuke them both until the earth around them glows neon green. then maybe, i'd consider them less evil than cthulu.

Hey, if it were bare-knuckled fighting, one of those horrific theater sports shows that involve contestants getting tossed into mud and rancid water on sadistically designed obstacle courses or a literal poop throwing contest I'd be right there. Give me a king sized popcorn, extra butter and beer. That'd be better than the grand final but with more idiots and idiotic decisions.

As it is it's a case regarding whether someone can be slapped down for going public with unethical stuff their old employer did, that affects more than the Daily Heil and Gawker "we're so outraged by sexual harassment unless we're getting clicks by doing it ourselves"! So, it's bigger than dumb and it's bigger than dumber too.