Author Topic: Mitt Romney ad attacks Obama for singing song  (Read 8423 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Mitt Romney ad attacks Obama for singing song
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 07:00:56 pm »
Most people can't be arsed to find the truth, instead wanting it fed to them.  Even if you created a truth institute that had a real psychic that could tell truth from lies, and presented this information to everyone, free, most people STILL wouldn't go out of their way to look at it.  In fact, they may even distrust it, thinking that it favors (insert opposing political agenda here).

Until you can change humanity itself, you'll have to deal with and rely on the fact that democracy is basically a contest of showmanship.

I don't know about a psychic, but http://www.politifact.com/ and http://www.factcheck.org/ do a pretty good job. 

Until relatively recently, I would have agreed with you. But factcheck recently surrendered to the both-sides-do-it delusion (saying Paul Ryan's plan would repeal Medicare is the lie of the year!), which is as dishonest a claim as anything in the media.

As for people-aren't-experts-they-need-experts-to-understand-complex-policy: sure, that's a theoretical problem. But the primary problem at the moment is that conservatives can claim X when actually I have photographs and that's bullshit. Eg: Mitt Romney's campaign.

I think the answer is two-fold. Create an economic or social (or legal) incentive for journalists not to tell lies. Have a bunch of different, openly accepted, opinions within the one organisation. So the paper has 50 liberals and 50 conservatives. And a fascist. And a communist. And a pacifist, and a warmonger. What's the truth? This guy says this, this girl says that. You're not going to find truth in a monologue. And we have to have a lot less respect for people who are clearly intellectually dishonest; your Australian newspaper op-editors and so on. If you don't make an argument, you don't get published. 800 words of insults loosely strung together is not acceptable.

As a side note: you're also not going to find truth in a he-said-she-said news story. In Australia, new federal government policy is routinely covered as 'opposition leader Tony Abbott disagrees with Gillard's new policy X, saying it will cause the village of Whyalla to explode.' The important part of the story is not the actual policy that will effect people's lives, it's the mindless, unchanging political disagreement between political personalities. Or, perhaps, ALP leadership speculation. That can also be hugely important.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 11:30:03 pm »
Oh, and one more thing I did want to mention in my previous post. Why trusting the media does suck:

No matter what, there will be untrustworthy media sources. So even the most busy average citizen will need some modicum of personal bullshit-detecting ability. Whatever I have said about the public needing to trust someone else, it does not absolve them of the entire burden of separating fact from fiction.

There really does need to be school-training in critical thinking and statistics-as-one-of-the-three-lies.

The problem with teaching critical thinking is that conservatives oppose it so hard that it's almost impossible to get made part of school curriculum. For an example find the Texas GOP mission statement that was on the main page a while back. One of their main points was how critical thinking is evil.

Yeah, well, they stand to gain a lot by having a populace that can’t think, don’t they?
-A Pen Name

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 03:14:03 am »
Obama gets attacked for everything he does. From his campaign ads to his favorite burger.
Next thing you know these people are going to attack him for using the bathroom.

I can see Fox New's headline right now: "Obama uses too much toliet paper!"

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 05:25:23 pm »
sorry this popped into my brain when i read this.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_dLz0FQhkw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_dLz0FQhkw</a>