Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111518 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #555 on: June 16, 2019, 09:21:39 pm »
I played hit-you-in-the-face-with-a-mallet once and I would not recommend.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #556 on: June 28, 2019, 10:49:01 am »
i’m sorry you guys, but if a certain ship becoming endgame in a cartoon meant for children is enough to make your entire mental state deteriorate – if it flings you into depression, if it makes you want to call in from work/school, if it makes you have panic/anxiety attacks, if it prevents you from being able to function – you seriously need to take a step back and either see a therapist or stop watching the show.

content creators aren’t responsible for your mental health issues just because they made a decision in regards to their content that you happened not to like.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #557 on: July 02, 2019, 02:15:05 pm »

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #558 on: July 04, 2019, 07:24:43 pm »
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #559 on: July 05, 2019, 09:41:22 am »
Yup.  If memory serves, a .30 cal bullet's terminal velocity is around 90m/s, and you only need about 61m/s to break skin.  Given that terminal velocity increases with respect to mass, bigger bullets will fall even harder.  So, if you're gonna shoot to celebrate the 4th (which is cool, so long as you're safe), then do everybody a favour and shoot at a proper target.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #560 on: July 10, 2019, 05:42:08 pm »
Not sure where to put this...

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2019, 03:36:57 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #562 on: August 21, 2019, 10:16:55 am »
You know, the best line Biden ever had in politics was when he said about Rudy Giuliani when he was running for President, All you ever hear from him is a noun, verb, and 9/11. Well, now, all we ever hear from Joe Biden is noun, verb, and Obama. That's all he's got.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #563 on: December 01, 2019, 07:30:08 pm »
https://www.monbiot.com/2019/11/11/the-unlearning/

Boarding school, a peculiarly British form of abuse, has devastating impacts not only on the boarders, but on those they grow up to dominate.

By George Monbiot, published in the Guardian 7th November 2019

There are two stark facts about British politics. The first is that they are controlled, to a degree unparalleled in any other Western European nation, by a tiny, unrepresentative elite. Like almost every aspect of public life here, government is dominated by people educated first at private schools, then at either Oxford or Cambridge.

The second is that many of these people possess a disastrous set of traits: dishonesty, class loyalty and an absence of principle. The current Prime Minister exemplifies them. What drives him? What enables such people to dominate us? We urgently need to understand a system that has poisoned the life of this nation for over a century.

I think I understand it better than most, because there is a strong similarity between what might have been the defining event of Boris Johnson’s childhood and mine. Both of us endured a peculiarly British form of abuse, that is intimately associated with the nature of power in this country. We were sent to boarding school when we were very young.

He was slightly older than me (11, rather than 8 ), but was dispatched, as so many boys were, after a major family trauma. I didn’t think a school could be worse than my first boarding school, Elstree, but the accounts that have emerged from his – Ashdown House – during the current independent inquiry into child sexual abuse, suggest that it achieved this improbable feat. Throughout the period when Johnson was a pupil, the inquiry heard, paedophilia was normalised. As the journalist Alex Renton, another ex-pupil, records, the headmaster was a vicious sadist, who delighted in beating as many boys as possible, and victimised those who sought to report sexual attacks and other forms of abuse.

Johnson was at first extremely hostile to the inquiry, describing it as money “spaffed up a wall”. But he later apologised to other former pupils. He has accepted that sexual assaults took place at the school, though he says he did not witness them. But a culture of abuse affects everybody, one way or another. In my 30s, I met the man who had been the worst bully at my first boarding school. He was candid and apologetic. He explained that he had been sexually abused by teachers and senior boys, acting in concert. Tormenting younger pupils was his way of reasserting power.

The psychotherapist Joy Schaverien lists a set of symptoms that she calls Boarding School Syndrome. The effects of early boarding, she finds, are similar to being taken into care, but with the added twist that your parents demand it. Premature separation from your family “can cause profound developmental damage”.

The justification for early boarding is based on a massive but common misconception. Because physical hardship in childhood makes you physically tough, the founders of the system believed that emotional hardship must make you emotionally tough. It does the opposite. It causes psychological damage that only years of love and therapy can later repair. But if there are two things that being sent to boarding school teach you, they are that love cannot be trusted, and that you should never admit to needing help.

On my first night at boarding school, I felt entirely alone. I was shocked, frightened and intensely homesick, but I soon discovered that expressing these emotions, instead of bringing help and consolation, attracted a gloating, predatory fascination.

The older boys, being vulnerable themselves, knew exactly where to find your weaknesses. There was one night of grace, and thereafter the bullying was relentless, by day and night. It was devastating. There was no pastoral care at all. The staff watched with indifference as the lives of the small children entrusted to them fell apart. They believed we should sink or swim. (The same philosophy applied to swimming, by the way: non-swimmers were thrown into the deep end of an unheated pool in March).

I was cut off from everything I knew and loved. Most importantly, I cut myself off from my feelings. When expressions of emotion are dangerous, and when you are constantly told by parents and teachers that this terrible thing is being done for your own good, you quickly learn to hide your true feelings, even from yourself. In other words, you learn the deepest form of dishonesty. This duplicity becomes a habit of mind: if every day you lie to yourself, lying to other people becomes second nature.

You develop a shell, a character whose principal purpose is to project an appearance of confidence and strength, while inside is all fear and flight and anger. The shell might take the form of steely reserve, expansive charm, bumbling eccentricity, or a combination of all three. But underneath it, you are desperately seeking assurance. The easiest means of achieving it is to imagine that you can dominate your feelings by dominating other people. Repressed people oppress people.

In adulthood you are faced with a stark choice: to remain the person this system sought to create, justifying and reproducing its cruelties, or to spend much of your life painfully unlearning what it taught you, and learning to be honest again: to experience your own emotions without denial, to rediscover love and trust. In other words, you must either question almost nothing, or question almost everything.

Though only small numbers of people went through this system, it afflicts the entire nation. Many powerful politicians are drawn from this damaged caste: David Cameron, for example, was seven when he was sent to boarding school. We will not build a kinder, more inclusive country until we understand its peculiar cruelties.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:58:05 pm by Skybison »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #564 on: December 01, 2019, 07:42:12 pm »
Copyright much?
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #565 on: December 16, 2019, 02:36:48 am »
Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

--Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)

Hey remember when there were Republicans who wanted to keep religion out of politics?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #566 on: December 18, 2019, 12:41:58 am »
Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

--Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)

Hey remember when there were Republicans who wanted to keep religion out of politics?

I wonder what Mr. Goldwater would think of the internet, since he died before stuff like social media really took off..

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #567 on: December 25, 2019, 09:32:17 pm »
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #568 on: January 21, 2020, 12:12:20 am »
We must also realize that the problems of racial injustice and economic injustice cannot be solved without a radical redistribution of political and economic power.

We read one day, 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.' But if a man doesn't have a job or an income, he has neither life, nor liberty, nor the possibility for the pursuit of happiness. He merely exists.

It's estimated that we spend three hundred and twenty-two thousand dollars for each enemy we kill in Vietnam, while we spend in the so-called War on Poverty in America only about fifty-three dollars for each person classified as poor.

The promises of the Great Society have been shot down on the battlefield of Vietnam, making the poor, white and negro, bear the heaviest burden, both at the front and at home.

The other thing I want you to understand is this: that it didn't cost the nation one penny to integrate lunch counters, it didn't cost the nation one penny to guarantee the right to vote, but now we are dealing with issues that cannot be solved without the nation spending billions of dollars and undergoing a radical redistribution of economic power.

All labor has dignity. But you are doing another thing. You are reminding not only Memphis, but you are reminding the nation that it is a crime for people to live in this rich nation and receive starvation wages.

America's opportunity to help bridge the gulf between the haves and the have-nots, and the question is whether America will do it. There's nothing new about poverty. What is new is, and we now have the techniques, and the resources, to get rid of poverty, and the real question is whether we have the will.

If you want to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., fight for his entire legacy.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #569 on: March 18, 2020, 01:54:25 pm »
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.