Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 637399 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1635 on: January 30, 2013, 11:58:14 pm »
I'm giving her a chance! *scores brownie points with Fluttershy*

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1636 on: January 31, 2013, 12:01:24 am »
Several of the pre-readers, along with myself are hoping for "Here's the powers you're going to get to have... eventually.  Enjoy them for a week or so, try not to destroy the country."

I'm hoping for this or even Twilight gets wings and all that jazz, but decides to give it up for the sake of her friendship with the rest of the mane six. My overall reaction is "meh"to Twilight becoming an alicorn, but it does have potential. After all I wasn't so pleased when they brought Darth Maul back in Star Wars, but it's turning out for the better.

Also am I still the only one that would love to see them bring Tirek from G1 MLP onto the show. Tirek was hardcore.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:12:00 am by Empress Nicki »

Offline cheese007

• Bishop
« Reply #1637 on: January 31, 2013, 02:41:27 am »
First, Hasbro's openly said this is permanent.

I have to ask, where has this been stated? Googling and checking the usual sources (derpibooru, EQD, /mlp/, r/mylittlepony) turns up nothing.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #1638 on: January 31, 2013, 04:05:16 am »

I have to ask, where has this been stated? Googling and checking the usual sources (derpibooru, EQD, /mlp/, r/mylittlepony) turns up nothing.

This article, which is linked to by The Hub's facebook post about the finale, talks about it. One reason it may not be elsewhere is that the information is supposed to be an exclusive, and is kind of an obscure site for someone looking for pony news.

Essentially, it talks about Twilight's personality not changing, but her having to endure the responsibilities of her new title in the future.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #1639 on: January 31, 2013, 07:04:25 am »
My only concern with Twilight becoming a princess is that, if that's been the ultimate goal of her studies, then that would mean she has nothing left to study for.  Her OCD nerdiness is her entire character, so I really hope the only thing that changes about her is her appearance, and she'll still spend all her time reading and being a dork.

What is one goal if not the starting point of another journey?

For one thing, Twilight will probably have to begin studying new magic.  Not to mention that she might have to learn how to do pegasus things as well.

I wonder, though... is it only unicorns that can become alicorns?  Or can pegasi do this, too?  Hmm.

I bet Earth Ponies can't, though. Must suck not being able to do anything cool.

Offline cheese007

• Bishop
« Reply #1640 on: January 31, 2013, 09:24:27 am »

This article, which is linked to by The Hub's facebook post about the finale, talks about it. One reason it may not be elsewhere is that the information is supposed to be an exclusive, and is kind of an obscure site for someone looking for pony news.

Essentially, it talks about Twilight's personality not changing, but her having to endure the responsibilities of her new title in the future.

Thanks for that. Don't know how to feel about this really. It just seems like there's no way for this to work out without the show "Jumping the Shark." It really changes the character balance/focus of the show. She is essentially royalty now, even with her personality intact. I can see a disproportionate amount of the focus being on her from here on out. This is all speculation of course, and I'll keep watching until I know if the show is in decline or not, but I can't say I'm optimistic. :/

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1641 on: January 31, 2013, 09:37:19 am »
My only concern with Twilight becoming a princess is that, if that's been the ultimate goal of her studies, then that would mean she has nothing left to study for.  Her OCD nerdiness is her entire character, so I really hope the only thing that changes about her is her appearance, and she'll still spend all her time reading and being a dork.

For one thing, Twilight will probably have to begin studying new magic.  Not to mention that she might have to learn how to do pegasus things as well.

I wonder, though... is it only unicorns that can become alicorns?  Or can pegasi do this, too?  Hmm.

Isn't the Earth Ponies' power extra strength?
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #1642 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:33 am »

Isn't the Earth Ponies' power extra strength?

Extra strength and stamina, and they're connected to the earth. All other conditions being the same, a crop grown by earth ponies will be more bountiful than by unicorns simply because they were tended to by earth ponies.

Observe, for example, the way Granny Smith learns to gather the Zap Apples.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1643 on: January 31, 2013, 09:49:28 am »
I dunno seems more implied especially since even without her wings Rainbow Dash is as fast and strong as Applejack

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1644 on: January 31, 2013, 09:56:32 am »
I dunno seems more implied especially since even without her wings Rainbow Dash is as fast and strong as Applejack

Yeah but Rainbow Dash is an athlete.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #1645 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:06 am »

You know I read the article, and it still leaves a lot open for interpretation. It isn't black and white on what her future will be, as I said for all we know she could even give up the title and the wings for the sake of her friends(which I'm placing my money on) in the future.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #1646 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:28 pm »

You know I read the article, and it still leaves a lot open for interpretation. It isn't black and white on what her future will be, as I said for all we know she could even give up the title and the wings for the sake of her friends(which I'm placing my money on) in the future.

You... do realize what you're suggesting, right? It would be the same thing as Applejack agreeing to stop working the farm, or if Fluttershy stopped taking care of animals, or if Rainbow Dash stopped being awesome. You're saying Twilight would, in essence, stop being herself for the sake of her friends.

Nevermind the side "lesson" such a thing would be teaching kids, in that's okay to abandon responsibility for the sake of personal gain.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #1647 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24:41 pm »
And the working title of the show is MY LITTLE PONY:FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC. It's not really saying she needs to give up responsibility for her friends, but just the silly crap, like the wings or the title. They play it so that it proves she really has earned them for the future. I'm just not all that pleased with that they decided that giving her wings, it comes off as jumping the shark a bit. I hope that they prove me wrong.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #1648 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:25 pm »
It's been pretty obvious that being an alicorn was in Twilight's future from the beginning of the show. If she's becoming an alicorn, she should have wings. That's just kind of how it works.

And yes, giving up her title for her friends would be abandoning the responsibility of being a princess. It also implies it's impossible to be a princess and to have friends. If Cadence found the time to fall in love and get married, I don't see why Twilight can't be a princess and maintain a healthy relationship with her friends. In fact, that may indeed be a good chunk of future stories--Twilight trying to find ways to balance the demands of power with the needs of her friends.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #1649 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:40 am »
You did read the part where I said they could play it as her sacrificing the title, and wings(for whatever reason), because FRIENDSHIP IS TRUE MAGIC, proving that she has truly earned the said title and wings, right??
Also I'll like to see proof that it was intended from the very beginning, Twilight may have been destined for great things, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was to be a alicorn, because I do believe this just a marketing ploy that they came up with out of the blue.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:15:42 am by Empress Nicki »