Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1518070 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2385 on: May 01, 2013, 12:34:05 am »
Making a bard seems pretty neat in Ultima Online.  Turn your foes against each other, stop them from attacking you...

And since it's such a modular system, I could easily make it a sneaky rogue who does it, or a mage who sings, or whatever.

That's one of my favourite things about the game, how flexible it is when it comes to "classes."  (Put those in quotes because, technically, UO has no classes.)  Also, Provocation is probably one of the most overpowered non-magical skills available since you can, at a high enough skill level, turn daemons and such against one another which, as one can imagine, makes actual combat pretty much unnecessary.  Its also quite useful for a crafting character, since you only need 2 skills to use it (Musicianship + Provocation), as opposed to the 3+ with actual combat/magic skills, and it allows you to get nice loot while you're out cutting wood or mining for ore...or making critters kill eachother so you can go and cut their hides off 'em with a knife.

If you want it, more times than not in UO, you can do it.  Want to just spend your time fishing?  Get a rod and fish, and you can even sell said fish, and at high Fishing levels, can uncover sunken treasures...and krakens and shit.  Wanna cook?  There's a skill for that.  Tame critters?  Its one of the most useful character types you can make.  Shit, you can even make a professional beggar that can beg NPCs for money.  You heard me right, you can actually be a professional bum.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:38:16 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2386 on: May 01, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »
and I'm playing star trek online now

ironbite-yeah

Saturn500

« Reply #2387 on: May 01, 2013, 03:55:21 pm »
The difficulty of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers has certainly been taking a while to reach SMT standards, but seven hours in, it's starting to get kinda tough.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2388 on: May 01, 2013, 03:57:09 pm »
My StugIII just committed suicide in World of Tanks.

Seriously, I was just driving it along a road in that city map which has the castle on the hill. I had a good start, one kill and a few assists and went looking for more enemies after the ones near me had been killed. I was coming downhill and most of that road has a wall along it preventing any falls, but there is one spot where that wall is broken. There were no enemies around, but the very second I was next to that hole I lose control of the tank, it starts moving and turning on its own and I get a weird lag spike. When the game returns to normal my dear Stug does a faceplant at the bottom of the hill.

My team thought it was funny.

In other news, I'm really liking the British Matilda. The later heavy tanks are tougher but there is just some weird charm to this little tank, toughest tank on tier IV, slow as a snail but armed with a rapid firing cannon with plenty penetration. Not much damage though, but when it's firing shot after another with deadly accuracy it is lethal.

And the fast reload means that in the case that you miss you will get another shot soon, which means that I can take riskier shots on the move or at fast scout tanks. And I really seem to have the knack of hitting the faster enemies from a long range which is always fun when you can take out their tracks.

Goin somewhere? BOOM! Not anymore.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Saturn500

« Reply #2389 on: May 01, 2013, 04:02:10 pm »
And now it seems Valve is doing smaller, more frequent batches of Greenlighting.

Papers, Please got through.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2390 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:17 pm »
Papers, Please got through.
It did? Fucken-A.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2391 on: May 01, 2013, 11:49:41 pm »
So I'm playing Blood Dragon.  Oh man, funniest fucking thing I've played in a long time.  DRIPPING in parody to the point of ripping the 4th wall a new one.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2392 on: May 02, 2013, 08:29:09 am »
Anybody got a suggestion on a good game I could pick up on Steam for about 7 euro?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2393 on: May 02, 2013, 08:32:08 am »
Anybody got a suggestion on a good game I could pick up on Steam for about 7 euro?
You can't go wrong with Defense Grid: The Awakening (assuming you don't mind tower defense games). It's got a pretty good story to it as well.

In other news, in anyone else really annoyed at the massive amounts of wasted potential that is the 3DS e-shop? They are selling Luigi's Mansion 2 through it, so it can clearly handle large games, but it's just so underutilised. Considering all of Nintendo's handheld consoles and main consoles up to the SNES (maybe even the N64), there's a mind-bogglingly enormous library of games they could sell for the 3DS. Even just counting first and second party titles, there's a fucking goldmine to be had there.

I know Nintendo is only figuring out this whole digital distribution thing now and all (and even then, they've still yet to work out something as simple as user accounts), but this level of wastefulness is just plain ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:43:39 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2394 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:10 pm »
Lugi's Mansion 2 isn't even the biggest game they've got through the eShop.  That title belongs to Fire Emblem.

Ironbite-fucker took up half my SD card.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2395 on: May 02, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »
While I enjoy NHL 11's Be a Pro Mode, feel like being at work at times, when I feel like I'm getting blamed for everything.  Crossing the line without the puck?  I get blamed for Offsides.  If I pass the puck to a teammate and he skates behind the line, I get blamed for offsides.  I'm already behind the line and my teammate passes the puck to me?  I still get blamed for Offsides.

If I'm the goalie and an opponent scores on me, I get blamed for allowing the goal.  If I'm a skater and an opponent scores on the goalie, I still get blamed for allowing a goal.  And if I'm either a goalie or skater and my own teammate shoots the puck into our own goal (It's happened several times), yep, full blame goes to me.

In one game, I got so frustrated, I spent the entire time picking fights and hitting people.  I spent about 50 out of the 60 minutes of game time in the penalty box.  Ironically though, I was commended for picking fights and hitting people at just the right time.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2396 on: May 02, 2013, 05:05:13 pm »
While I enjoy NHL 11's Be a Pro Mode, feel like being at work at times, when I feel like I'm getting blamed for everything.  Crossing the line without the puck?  I get blamed for Offsides.  If I pass the puck to a teammate and he skates behind the line, I get blamed for offsides.  I'm already behind the line and my teammate passes the puck to me?  I still get blamed for Offsides.

If I'm the goalie and an opponent scores on me, I get blamed for allowing the goal.  If I'm a skater and an opponent scores on the goalie, I still get blamed for allowing a goal.  And if I'm either a goalie or skater and my own teammate shoots the puck into our own goal (It's happened several times), yep, full blame goes to me.

In one game, I got so frustrated, I spent the entire time picking fights and hitting people.  I spent about 50 out of the 60 minutes of game time in the penalty box.  Ironically though, I was commended for picking fights and hitting people at just the right time.

Welcome to the NHL, we like to assign blame everywhere we can.

EDIT: A friendly reminder, you can pick up this flawed but intensely satisfying action-RPG on steam for 10 dolla.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR1XdvRGwDw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR1XdvRGwDw</a>
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:51:10 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2397 on: May 02, 2013, 07:38:35 pm »
Finally.  GOT.  MY.  HOUSE!  160,500 gold, plus expenditures for a pair of vendors to hock some of my crap at Walmart-low prices.

Also, had an attempt on my life!  Someone came to my house (I'd dropped marked recall runes around Luna, UO's version of advertising) bought some crap, and invited me to their place.  Well, my first hint was the dude opened up a red moongate, and red moongates only lead to one place, Felucca, where you can murder people all you want, so long as you're not in the reach of the town guards.  Sooooo...summoned a daemon, set it to guard me, and went thru.  We did a little tour of his place which was, admittedly, not too bad, and took me to his "treasure room."  He started casting some tiny, crap spells like Heal, which immediately set off a red flag for me, so I opened my runebook, went to the first page and had my cursor right on the "Recall" button.  Well, he dispelled my daemon, which tripped my alarms BIGTIME, so I hit that button and ran like hell to New Haven and to the safety of the Trammel ruleset.

You're not a real UO player until you've had someone try to murder you, lol.

(For those who desire to play UO, but are new to it, NEVER enter a red moongate unless you know who you're going with.  Even then, prepare before you do.  The world of Felucca is only for those who either enjoy PvP, or don't mind the constant threat of being murdered by psychopathic player bandits.  And, if you go, INSURE YOUR GEAR AND OTHER VALUABLES BEFOREHAND.  Otherwise, they can loot it off your rotting corpse, leaving you not only broke, but almost completely defenseless.  Also, just fyi, insurance [on Demise, at least] costs 600 gold per item, but you can toggle it to be auto-renewed, and in the long run, its a very, very wise investment.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:44:06 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2398 on: May 03, 2013, 02:35:18 pm »
Apparently Fallout 1,2 and Tactics along with every Star Wars game is on sale on steam today.

Does Fallout 1 and 2 have the same problems as 3 does with Windows 7?

Is Battlefront 2 worth buying?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2399 on: May 03, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »
I've played Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the PS2 and I'd definitely say it's worth buying the PC version, assuming that there are no problems inherent to the PC version (might be worth a look before buying)

It's basically like a third person shooter version of TFC.  With space battles.  Glorious space battles.  MAGNIFICENT space battles.

Oh and you're expected to change classes to suit your needs, and you even have to unlock classes.  At least in single player.

I know that in multiplayer there are also class quotas on some classes (so more than x amount of people can't be x class)

Battlefront 2 may possible be the best Star Wars game of all time, barring RPGs which are inherently more subjective anyways.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet