Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515312 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3720 on: November 19, 2013, 01:56:25 pm »
Alternate reality game.

Oh, I see now.

Huh.  Yeah, that is kinda disappointing :/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3721 on: November 20, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »
EVERYONE GO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

A friend of mine linked it on facebook yesterday and after taking a look at the game I just had to throw some money at it. It's rpg-strategy-adventure-management game where you play as the captain of a ship. And I really do mean that you play as the captain, not a fleet commander, not a fighter pilot (and you are certainly not commanding a capital ship like  a fighter as some Star Trek game did.)

You command the ship, manage the crew and one of the things I love about it is that they force you to delegate. For example: Want to command ship-to-ship fighting? One of your officers must lead the boarding party/defence or vice versa.

The crew members gain experience and skills and have different personalities, though they are not immortal and it appears that the redshirts are going to die a lot. (though you can toggle wether or not the officers are immortal if your are afraid of losing your dearest and most long timed npcs...)

Also, I love the shield effect as the weapons force a hole into them. I don't care if they physics behind it are stupid, it is so incredibly cool looking and will be a fun feature.

It seems I'm not the only one excited about this as Angry Joe, Totalbiscuit and some others are also promoting the game.

Oh, and one of the first voice actors hired is the guy who played Filch the in Harry Potter movies and apparently also was in the Game of thrones series though I haven't watched it. His voiceover in the trailer was pretty good.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3722 on: November 20, 2013, 02:58:40 pm »
It kinda reminds me of FTL if it was a modern game instead of retro game.

This is a good thing.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3723 on: November 20, 2013, 03:04:36 pm »
It kinda reminds me of FTL if it was a modern game instead of retro game.

This is a good thing.

I love FTL, but though the games have similarities this one takes the captain a bit further (In FTL you are basically a faceless entity that controls the crew rather than having a captain) and I'm hoping that Mandate will have more freedom of action and ability to affect the world. In FTL you are running from the rebels which takes over most of your time and energy. I'm hoping that Mandate gives you time to exploration as well. Possibly some base building as well, judging from the fact that the developers said you can design your own space stations.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3724 on: November 20, 2013, 03:06:50 pm »
Well I did say "modern game", which (to me) carries the implication of more complexity and depth (despite what some gamers of my generation seem to believe)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3725 on: November 20, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »
i liked not having a face in FTL made me make up my story about us being a doomed Star fleet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3726 on: November 23, 2013, 06:45:57 am »
I gave Far Cry 2 another chance, and I'm really glad that I did. I, in my infinite genius, finally managed to figure that that treating it like a typical First Person Shooter is going to get you shredded twice over in the space of 30 seconds (assuming you have a buddy to rescue you). Instead, approach slowly and carefully and pick off the bulk of the enemy soldiers with a sniper rifle. It'll make life a million times easier.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3727 on: November 23, 2013, 07:03:55 am »
Ahh so the Skyrim method of dealing with a large number of enemies.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3728 on: November 23, 2013, 07:14:41 am »
I thought the Skyrim method was to yell at them.

You know, that needs to be a thing in more games.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:38:23 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3729 on: November 23, 2013, 09:50:09 am »
I thought the Skyrim method was to yell at them.

You know, that needs to be a thing in more games.

Hey, sometimes the enemy forces need a good scolding.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3730 on: November 23, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »
I gave Far Cry 2 another chance, and I'm really glad that I did. I, in my infinite genius, finally managed to figure that that treating it like a typical First Person Shooter is going to get you shredded twice over in the space of 30 seconds (assuming you have a buddy to rescue you). Instead, approach slowly and carefully and pick off the bulk of the enemy soldiers with a sniper rifle. It'll make life a million times easier.

I've got a file on the hardest difficulty that's about 5% complete right now. You basically die almost instantly, which makes the checkpoints along the roads feel like utter scumbags personified.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3731 on: November 23, 2013, 03:56:40 pm »
Hey, when I first posted about Mandate kickstarter it was at 300'000 dollars out of 500'000 and with 11 days to go and uncertain if it is going to make it...

Now it's at 443'000 and there's still 8 days left! Wow. Then again Kotaku and Angry Joe did both make positive reviews about the project so it has been gaining more exposure and fans at a fast pace.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3732 on: November 23, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »

I've got a file on the hardest difficulty that's about 5% complete right now. You basically die almost instantly, which makes the checkpoints along the roads feel like utter scumbags personified.

It's why I went with the 2nd hardest difficulty. Even then, simply chancing upon an armed Jeep while driving down the road is still pretty likely to ruin your day.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3733 on: November 23, 2013, 09:15:43 pm »
Apparently, Mojang is sucking worse than usual.  For the past two days, no one playing on Minecraft 1.6.4, be it modded or vanilla, has been able to connect reliably to any 1.6.4 servers, myself included.  Checking the #minecrafthelp on Twitter, they're telling us to "wait while the issue is resolved."  I try to be patient, but I kinda LIKE playing on the only MC server I've been able to tolerate outside my own personal one I ran for my girlfriend and I.  Its ONLY 1.6.4, too.  Doesn't affect 1.7 servers, or anything below 1.6.4.  Its that version, fucking SPECIFICALLY.

Mojang.  Get.  Your.  Shit.  The fuck.  Together.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3734 on: November 23, 2013, 10:34:19 pm »
Seriously, fuck you in the ass, Minecraft. I just love having it crash on me 2-3 times in one sitting, and crashing so badly that I have to restart since absolutely NOTHING I do will terminate the fucker.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades