Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1513128 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4395 on: May 08, 2014, 06:58:05 am »
Well, you rarely even saw light side Jedi in the films before the prequels; Obi-Wan was pretty much it (Luke was self-taught after Episode V and was grayer than the past Jedi Council when he reformed the order), and he only lasted for half of one movie before going ghost. Even then, both were willing to maim and kill sentient beings at least in self-defense.

Luke certainly had few hesitations about knocking people into the Sarlaac in Episode VI, knowing full well that it would keep them alive to digest them excruciatingly slowly.

Jedi are trained from toddlers onwards to fight and kill without hesitation if necessary, and not just in self-defense. If the Jedi Council sees fit, they'll happily go on the offensive. They may be light side, but they're no pacifists by any stretch of the imagination. They're the most elite special forces the Republic has to offer, and not only that, but also independent of the military. Kind of like the SS, funnily enough.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4396 on: May 08, 2014, 08:11:30 am »
I've always found it amusing how the "light" side of the force (read: good side) has what amounts to mind rape as an ability, whereas the dark side will either simply kill or disable you.  Light seems to be, if nothing else, inefficient in battle terms, outside the useful defensive powers.  Personally, I hope Luke ends up founding a grey Jedi academy, and throws out that bullshit "light vs dark" distinction when it comes to force powers.

(Makes me think of how Mr. Welch gets a dark side point for using force lightning, even if he only uses it for spot welding.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4397 on: May 08, 2014, 01:40:08 pm »
In my book, it's perfectly understandable why the Galaxy turned against the Jedi.  At first, the Jedi are painted as a peaceful, almost monk-like organization, centered around achieving balance with themselves and the universe.  However, consider for a moment the following facts.  The Jedi is a warrior cult who operate entirely on their own, and have nobody regulating them, other than the fact that they usually go along with what the Senate wants... except when the Jedi decide they don't like it.  Now imagine that the Jedi, in the course of their "duties," have the right to search people's homes and property with no authorization, can read people's minds, can actually control some people's minds, and have the right to kill people they don't approve of.  Remember in episode two, when Anakin and Obi Wan dismember a person in front of a crowd of bargoers?  "Jedi business, go back to your drinks."  Sounds a lot more sinister when you consider what you've read here, doesn't it?  Now consider that this cult takes people away from their homes and families as small children, so as to better brainwash them into believing their teachings.  They force celibacy onto these converts before they even understand the idea of sex.  They also preach the total divorce of self from personal emotions, because using one's powers in an emotional state is eeeeeeevil.  Anyone who comes to the realization that these people are full of crap are promptly kicked out of the order, unless they leave of their own will.  After they are kicked out, they are labelled as "Dark Jedi," because any views other than your own are eeeeeeevil.  These people also believe that "balance" in the force consists of people who believe in the application of the force in any way other than theirs being killed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:42:17 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4398 on: May 08, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »
I've always found it amusing how the "light" side of the force (read: good side) has what amounts to mind rape as an ability, whereas the dark side will either simply kill or disable you.  Light seems to be, if nothing else, inefficient in battle terms, outside the useful defensive powers.  Personally, I hope Luke ends up founding a grey Jedi academy, and throws out that bullshit "light vs dark" distinction when it comes to force powers.

(Makes me think of how Mr. Welch gets a dark side point for using force lightning, even if he only uses it for spot welding.)

When you say "you hope", I'm assuming you're referring to the upcoming Episode 7.

Because Luke does, in fact, found a grayer Jedi Order as depicted in the Expanded Universe, and according to Jedi Academy, you can actually learn Force Lightning/Choke/Drain and Dark Rage there (though he does warn you against specializing in Dark Side powers because they can consume you)

I think it's worth noting that Knights of the Old Republic handles the alignment/force system a lot better than Jedi Academy.  Any Force user can learn any skill, but Light Side powers take less effort when you're steeped in the light side, and Dark Side powers take less effort when you're succumbing to the dark side.  Also, there are more neutral powers, and Mind Trick is one of the Neutral Powers - and you're called on wanton use of it.

So, basically, if we take KOTOR as canon, Mind Trick is a tool used by both Jedi AND Sith, just like Force Push and Pull and stuff.

(Then again Jedi Academy was, I believe, the first game that let you create your own Jedi.  Ergo, its lack of complexity is forgivable.)

In my book, it's perfectly understandable why the Galaxy turned against the Jedi. -snip-

The funny thing is, according to the Star Wars canon, the Jedi are actually entirely in the right - the Dark Side is supposed to be an absolutely corrupting influence, and force sensitives who rely on emotion to fight will succumb to it.

I personally think it's bullshit.  So many Jedi fall to the Sith because they feel like they're beyond redemption, and may as well go all the way at that point.  Hell, what was the final emotion Anakin felt moments before he dedicated himself to the Dark Side?  Regret.  If he hadn't had to hide his love for Padme, he might have been redeemed.  The Jedi created Darth Vader.

Of course, it's worth noting that according to the EU, Luke's grayer Jedi Academy also ended up producing quite a few more Sith than the Jedi of the Republic, so perhaps there's some problems with Gray philosophy.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4399 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:36 pm »

Which do you value more, life or freedom of thought? That is the choice that the Jedi make, because they see killing as worse than messing with someone's head.

...And the fact that some "magic" is irredeemably evil and that using those powers corrupts the mage/Jedi/whatever no matter what they do with those powers is a trope in fiction. It might be concidered a cop out (WHAT IF MY NECROMANCER IS A GOOD NECROMANCER? etc.) but Star wars is not the first time it has been used.

Actually, Warhammer Fantasy mentions that some of the necromancers are originally good people who try to use their powers to bring back a lost love or for other benevolent reasons (maybe they were investigating healing spells or tried to create life Frankenstein style) but that they are all corrupted by the magic they use and eventually turn evil.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4400 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:45 am »
I decided to give Rune Factory a go. It has the most stereotypically anime intro movie I've ever seen. Quite enjoyable game, otherwise. Like Harvest Moon, only fleshed out a lot more.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4401 on: May 11, 2014, 02:32:30 pm »
Its funny, I've always thought of Necromancers as being more along the lines of magical morticians.  They specialize in the opposite end of the healing spectrum.  Honestly, I feel that those who most understand death would be least likely to cause it and/or be callous about it.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #4402 on: May 11, 2014, 03:55:33 pm »
I decided to give Rune Factory a go. It has the most stereotypically anime intro movie I've ever seen. Quite enjoyable game, otherwise. Like Harvest Moon, only fleshed out a lot more.
The opening song's nice.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4403 on: May 11, 2014, 07:32:19 pm »
Its funny, I've always thought of Necromancers as being more along the lines of magical morticians.  They specialize in the opposite end of the healing spectrum.  Honestly, I feel that those who most understand death would be least likely to cause it and/or be callous about it.

I know of at least one MMORPG where the Necromancer class (called a "Summoner" but their art is referred to as "Death Magic") is also one of the two healing classes in the game.  (The other, naturally, is called Healer.  Both classes are equally capable of kicking ass, too.)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4404 on: May 11, 2014, 08:58:45 pm »

I know of at least one MMORPG where the Necromancer class (called a "Summoner" but their art is referred to as "Death Magic") is also one of the two healing classes in the game.  (The other, naturally, is called Healer.  Both classes are equally capable of kicking ass, too.)

In Arcanum the healing school of magic is called White Necromancy (actual necromancy is called Black Necromancy).
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4405 on: May 11, 2014, 10:37:09 pm »
Can't wait for Tropico 5!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4406 on: May 11, 2014, 11:07:00 pm »

In Arcanum the healing school of magic is called White Necromancy (actual necromancy is called Black Necromancy).

I remember reading that in older versions of D&D, the healing spells were part of the Necromancy school.

As for the necromancer I'm talking about, it was definitely Black Necromancy used to heal.  The necromancer had to take blood from his or her enemies to power the healing magic.  Also, one healing spell was literally a disease that would infect his allies and, instead of making them sick, would heal them.  This had an interesting game mechanic where they would become immune to this plague for a short while, due to their bodies treating it like any other plague and doing stuff with antibodies.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4407 on: May 12, 2014, 10:04:16 am »
A game plot point I've always wanted to use involves gathering a group of necromancers to combat a group of spontaneously-spawned undead...maybe have the undead spawning because Atropus is nearing the game world.  Who better to combat the undead than those who know best how to create them?  If you can make it, it'd serve to reason that you'd be best qualified to destroy it.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4408 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:31 pm »
Dark Souls II has some great physics...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4409 on: May 13, 2014, 01:05:36 pm »