Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1674221 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #6000 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:50 pm »

Really going for the gold standard when it comes to right wing bs, aren't they??
It's the /pol/ (4chans nazi board) edit.
What's wrong with GMOs and Kosher Salt? *deliberately misses point*
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6001 on: October 27, 2015, 06:09:25 pm »
The bill thing is allegedly to establish which legislative district (Congress, state, county and city representative and councilman districts) the voter resides in on voting day. Many poor people live in apartments and even small houses where the landlords hold the utility accounts and include it in rent, since many poor people have bad credit and can't afford the large security deposits necessary to start a utility account of their own. If the impoverished voter has no other regular bill, say for a credit card, and has no bank account statement - again, something not everyone can get if they have bounced checks in the past - they can be SOL'ed out of their right to vote. The reason it is bullshit is because when you Register to vote, you fill out and sign forms providing the required information to the polling officials, and they send your voter ID card to you after they have verified you are who you say you are. The cards typically are simple with no photo, but they are the law of the land. Legislation adding further requirements at the polling places add a hurdle that is at best in a Constitutional grey area, especially if requiring more than a common second ID, such as a state driver license or state photo ID (which you get at the driver license bureaus).

The other more pervasive way to disenfranchise voters is the judicial system; you lose your right to vote when convicted of a felony, such as possession of a small amount of pot or cocaine in their various forms.

Yeah, that's bullshit. In our case using a bill is in lieu of having a registration card and a second piece of I.D. if memory serves me correctly. Having said that, if you are actually registered but simply didn't receive your card in the mail a single piece of government issued I.D. with a photo and address is all you need. I found this out first hand during the last election; a quick phone call by my wife confirmed that I was still registered and just needed to show up at the polling station with one suitable piece of I.D. No drama, just typical Canadian politeness and apologies all around.

I never understood the felons can't vote thing. I thought that being released supposedly meant that you had served your debt to society and were now a member of it again. Part of that membership includes the right to vote.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6002 on: October 27, 2015, 08:05:43 pm »
The bill thing is allegedly to establish which legislative district (Congress, state, county and city representative and councilman districts) the voter resides in on voting day. Many poor people live in apartments and even small houses where the landlords hold the utility accounts and include it in rent, since many poor people have bad credit and can't afford the large security deposits necessary to start a utility account of their own. If the impoverished voter has no other regular bill, say for a credit card, and has no bank account statement - again, something not everyone can get if they have bounced checks in the past - they can be SOL'ed out of their right to vote. The reason it is bullshit is because when you Register to vote, you fill out and sign forms providing the required information to the polling officials, and they send your voter ID card to you after they have verified you are who you say you are. The cards typically are simple with no photo, but they are the law of the land. Legislation adding further requirements at the polling places add a hurdle that is at best in a Constitutional grey area, especially if requiring more than a common second ID, such as a state driver license or state photo ID (which you get at the driver license bureaus).

The other more pervasive way to disenfranchise voters is the judicial system; you lose your right to vote when convicted of a felony, such as possession of a small amount of pot or cocaine in their various forms.

Yeah, that's bullshit. In our case using a bill is in lieu of having a registration card and a second piece of I.D. if memory serves me correctly. Having said that, if you are actually registered but simply didn't receive your card in the mail a single piece of government issued I.D. with a photo and address is all you need. I found this out first hand during the last election; a quick phone call by my wife confirmed that I was still registered and just needed to show up at the polling station with one suitable piece of I.D. No drama, just typical Canadian politeness and apologies all around.

I never understood the felons can't vote thing. I thought that being released supposedly meant that you had served your debt to society and were now a member of it again. Part of that membership includes the right to vote.

The registration card is no longer acceptable as ID when you vote, unfortunately. If you don't have a driver's licence or provincial ID (or one or two other things), you need two other things that prove name and address between them. (You should still bring it so that you can be quickly directed to the right polling booth, though.) You can thank the Fair Elections Act for that one.

As for the "felons can't vote" thing, remember that up here, even the ones in jail can vote (and they set up special polling stations there to make it easy for them to exercise that right).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6003 on: October 28, 2015, 02:41:46 am »
The country with the worlds biggest prison population (per capita) does not let felons vote... And the silly ID laws make voting hard for poor people as well.

...Who do you have left as voters?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6004 on: October 28, 2015, 02:58:24 am »
White people.

(If you get offended, just know I was joking.)
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6005 on: October 28, 2015, 09:45:45 am »
Corporations.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6006 on: October 28, 2015, 09:55:17 am »
White corporations.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6007 on: October 28, 2015, 10:22:51 am »
Who sometimes put pressure on their employees to vote the way the company wants, especially when it's against their own best interests.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6008 on: October 28, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »
The U.S. has been a not-so-quietly de facto plutocratic/fascist nation for going on since, well, the Reagan era and before. Just because we're still technically a representative democracy does not change that, because the actual requirements to participate in that democracy are quickly returning to being a member of the white yeomanry. Eisenhower, during in his presidency, warned America about the powers-that-be (the military industrial complex) to try and avoid this eventual outcome.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #6009 on: November 01, 2015, 11:47:17 am »

I don't.... wholly disagree with this one, but considering who Milo actually is, this is definitely Worst.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Even Then

« Reply #6010 on: November 01, 2015, 11:53:13 am »
"safe spaces"

like how much of a shitty cartoon villain do you have to be to be against the concept of safe spaces

what the shit does "pearl clutchers" even mean in this context

and "gaytriarchy"

that's

damn
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:55:30 am by Even Then »

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6011 on: November 01, 2015, 11:59:31 am »
Who the hell is Milo?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6012 on: November 01, 2015, 12:06:38 pm »

I don't.... wholly disagree with this one, but considering who Milo actually is, this is definitely Worst.

Gonna disagree with you on this.  Milo's kind of an asshole, true, but at least he's honest and competent.  Which is more than I can say about a lot of other journalists...

"safe spaces"

like how much of a shitty cartoon villain do you have to be to be against the concept of safe spaces

The problem is that these days, "safe space" is synonymous with an echo chamber where nobody is allowed to voice a dissenting opinion, especially if it contradicts a woman or a minority.

what the shit does "pearl clutchers" even mean in this context

Basically, it means somebody who gets shocked at anything even remotely salacious.

and "gaytriarchy"

that's

damn

This whole cartoon is pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek.  Milo fighting against the "Gaytriarchy" is just another example, considering he's openly gay himself.

Who the hell is Milo?

A journalist for Breitbart.  He can be kind of a douche sometimes, but at least he does his job properly.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #6013 on: November 01, 2015, 03:03:44 pm »

Gonna disagree with you on this.  Milo's kind of an asshole, true, but at least he's honest and competent.  Which is more than I can say about a lot of other journalists...

A journalist for Breitbart.  He can be kind of a douche sometimes, but at least he does his job properly.

Seriously? Milo is egomaniacal narcissist and neoreactionary misogynist who has only does what he does because he hates "the Left." That's typical for Breitbart, of course.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6014 on: November 01, 2015, 04:11:41 pm »
*munches popcorn*

Ironbite-wonder if someone will point out something about UP's good friend Milo.