Author Topic: Attention nerds: I want a gaming PC.  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
Attention nerds: I want a gaming PC.
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:26 pm »
My laptop (creatively christened "Laptoppy"), which I received as a graduation present in 2010, is on her way out. Although no one will ever be able to truly replace my faithful Laptoppy, I think a sick-ass gaming rig will come pretty close.

I could probably just buy a pre-built setup but I'm rather enamored with the idea of building my one. Before I was adverse to it because although I'm competent at using computer software, I'm the biggest idiot alive with hardware*. However, I was told that building your own PC is like playing with LEGOS. So I'm as concerned about that aspect anymore.

What I want advice with is which parts I should purchase. Some facts:

• I have reasonable amounts of cashola. My budget for the whole thing is ~$1000 but I can go a little higher
  • Probably the most demanding game I'm going to use it for is Skyrim, and I want to be able to run it really smoothly on a high setting, like I was playing it on the Xbox 360. Other games I want to play are Crusader Kings II and The Sims 3.
  • Cheaper is better, of course, but I'd prefer to buy something more expensive now so I don't have to deal with updating it for a few years.

I have no idea what I'm doing here, so I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions for parts, offers to build it for me and bring it to my house for free, etc.

*True story: a few years ago I attempted to clean a keyboard with soap and water. Obviously, I destroyed it. When my younger brother pointed out that a keyboard is an electrical device, I told him I sort of thought that the keyboard was powered by the force of your fingers pressing down the keys. He replied with, "You're a genius, but you have no common sense."

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Attention nerds: I want a gaming PC.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »
I cant help with the computer stuff, i suck at that stuff

But i have to ask, how old were you when you did the keyboard thing
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:35:10 pm »
I would start at the Alienware website.

You can find systems like this...

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fdcwxt2b&model_id=alienware-x51-r2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

About $850 gives you some left over money to buy a new monitor if you like.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41:50 pm »
I cant help with the computer stuff, i suck at that stuff

But i have to ask, how old were you when you did the keyboard thing

Probably about 16. I have no excuse.

I would start at the Alienware website.

You can find systems like this...

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fdcwxt2b&model_id=alienware-x51-r2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

About $850 gives you some left over money to buy a new monitor if you like.

Thanks! Is Alienware good? I've heard conflicting things.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:28:10 pm »
I don't know enough about specific hardware to recommend a specific build, but I can give you one handy trick to make your PC last longer. in your initial build, get a single, high end graphics card that's capable of running in SLI (basically, two of them simultaneously) and sure your motherboard, cooling and power supply are capable of handling two of them. That way, a few years later when your PC is starting to get a bit dated, you can simply slap another of the same video card in (and by then the price of said card would have plummeted) and give your PC a nice second wind.
Thanks! Is Alienware good? I've heard conflicting things.
From what I know, the computers themselves are good, but horribly overpriced. If you buy the parts separately and assemble it yourself, it'll be so much cheaper than ordering the same rig from Alienware (as in even more so than the usual higher cost of buying pre-assembled*).

*Why the fuck does Firefox not think "pre-assembled" is a word, yet somehow "pee-assembled" totally is?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:32:45 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Mantorok

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:03:45 am »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »
Remember to download a lot of RAM

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:33:39 pm »
I'd make sure, laptop-wise you go with i7 or i9, I've got a really nice Asus I got from Office Depot for $650, 1TB memory, 8GB RAM, 2.20GHz i7 core, it runs Skyrim, it runs bioshock infinite, it runs Mass Effect 1 2 and 3, Dragon Age Origins, even Saints Row 3 if you're looking for GTA4 levels of usage...anything you need more or less.

My first was Baby, an 19in HP Pavillion 9208nr I got in 2007, I actually refer to the Asus as Baby 2.0, even under the userpc name...
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 02:22:30 am »
I'd make sure, laptop-wise you go with i7 or i9, I've got a really nice Asus I got from Office Depot for $650, 1TB memory, 8GB RAM, 2.20GHz i7 core, it runs Skyrim, it runs bioshock infinite, it runs Mass Effect 1 2 and 3, Dragon Age Origins, even Saints Row 3 if you're looking for GTA4 levels of usage...anything you need more or less.

My first was Baby, an 19in HP Pavillion 9208nr I got in 2007, I actually refer to the Asus as Baby 2.0, even under the userpc name...

...They're making i9s now?
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »
I personally would recommend the very laptop I use, an Asus R500V, especially since it dropped in price this year. Its strong enough to play any current game on at least medium settings (which, for several games I've played is still better than consoles) as well as several games (including Borderlands 2) on high settings (though not max, but it IS a laptop with a middle of the road video card).

EDIT: Also, if you're superficial like me and don't want the mocha coloring, it only looks brown in certain light. Most of the time, it looks black.

EDIT: Or, if you prefer going balls to the wall and want the most power with no regard for budget (but still not badly priced considering what you get), there's the Asus G750, also known as the computer I would have gotten had my budget allowed. 12GB RAM out of the box, one of the most powerful laptop video cards available, RAM upgradable to 36GB, a second hard drive bay, wireless AC, i7 processor. This thing is a monster and I wish I could have afforded it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:14:12 pm by Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42:03 pm »
...I wish I could get that computer down under...

I can. At $900 or so extra. -_-
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:46:43 pm by Morgenleoht »
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:56:38 pm »

...They're making i9s now?

Kinda-sorta. 6-core processors. Originally supposed to be called i9 but still being named as part of the i7 line.