Author Topic: Ex-Weinstein lawyer loses position at Harvard  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Ex-Weinstein lawyer loses position at Harvard
« on: May 13, 2019, 02:23:19 pm »
https://abcnews.go.com/US/harvey-weinsteins-lawyer-loses-position-harvard-bowing-case/story?id=62985775

This is disgusting. Weinstein's a despicable excuse of a human being, but he's still entitled to due process, and going after people for defending him in court is just low.

John Adams is spinning in his grave.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Ex-Weinstein lawyer loses position at Harvard
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:51:20 pm »
A private business deciding not to deal with a private citizen in it's private dealings?  Sorry baby, that's the free market.

Ironbite-choosing to defend a monster has consequences.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:23 pm »
Actually I have to agree with CU on this one. You americans have this bizarre thing where you conflate a lawyer acting on behalf of their client as espousing those views. Everybody is entitled to representation. That was the whole point of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Totally inappropriate for a university to sack him because of who his clients are.

The same thing happened to Hillary Clinton - yes she defended a rapist. That was her fucking job.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:03:44 am »
I'm not entirely sure on the situation in US jurisprudence, but up here verdicts can be tossed out if the defendant had inadequate representation at trial. So there's a strong incentive for the legal system to ensure that everyone, even the most obviously guilty offenders, has a good lawyer.

But the lawyers still get shit for it; go look at Marie Henein defending Jian Ghomeshi.

But I'd rather someone get a rock-solid 15 years in prison than a 25-year sentence that could well be voided on appeal simply because they didn't have a good lawyer.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 07:20:45 am »
Heck, I'd rather that people get fair defense in court because I prefer the court to make as certain as possible that only the guilty end up in jail and giving a fair court to everyone helps with that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!