Author Topic: The Newbie Thread  (Read 241931 times)

Offline Mister Pine

• Apprentice
Re: The Newbie Thread
« Reply #735 on: August 11, 2015, 01:39:44 pm »
Welcome, Mr Pine!  What instruments do you play?
Piano's my first instrument, but I play organ and harpsichord too.  Acoustic guitar (in my limited way).  Also recorder.  Also concertina.  I am into early music.
"It ain't supposed to make sense -  it's faith.  Faith is something that you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."  - Archie Bunker

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #736 on: August 11, 2015, 01:54:34 pm »
hello mister pine, welcome aboard. :)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Mister Pine

• Apprentice
« Reply #737 on: August 11, 2015, 01:58:01 pm »
Thanks!  Seems friendlier than other similar places I've tried (such as whywontgodhealamputees)...
"It ain't supposed to make sense -  it's faith.  Faith is something that you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."  - Archie Bunker

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #738 on: August 11, 2015, 02:05:00 pm »
Thanks!  Seems friendlier than other similar places I've tried (such as whywontgodhealamputees)...

as long as you have a sense of humor and don't get on ironbite's bad side, you should be fine. then again, he's already got like, 3 chewtoys, so yeah. fine.

also, we're not rabid antitheists (well, most of us anyway). it's just a place to talk about most things in a calm and collected way with each other.

new blood is always welcome, after the split a lot of members left, feelings were hurt, and the separation from the boards didn't help keep the forum population afloat.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #739 on: August 11, 2015, 02:10:52 pm »
Oh, and occasionally some people get weird, but it'll pass. Usually.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Mister Pine

• Apprentice
« Reply #740 on: August 11, 2015, 02:12:42 pm »
Thanks for the info regarding board history.  Shame when things like that happen. 

I'm not an antitheist, hell, I'm even a church organist.  And even though I agree with most things atheists say, I can't quite make the leap to calling myself atheist for some reason.  Not sure why.  I think it sounds too much like you've arrived at some concrete decision which of course I haven't, and never expect to.  I was raised Catholic, gradually moved towards the atheist side of the spectrum but stopped just short of it.

I would say I'm here because it's a logical extension of the comment section of FSTST.  I love reading those comments but wish I could talk with some of the people who make them.

Offline Mister Pine

• Apprentice
« Reply #741 on: August 11, 2015, 02:15:16 pm »
Oh, and occasionally some people get weird, but it'll pass. Usually.

Well, I hope we can get weird together.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #742 on: August 11, 2015, 02:41:08 pm »
it's just a place to talk about most things in a calm and collected way with each other.

Not always. Additionally worth noting is that we don't shy away from pointed criticism. If the claim is outrageous enough to drop the cool and collected manner, well, it's no holds barred.

That said, most conversations here aren't like that, but expect people who disagree with your claims to let you know.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Mister Pine

• Apprentice
« Reply #743 on: August 11, 2015, 02:46:04 pm »
it's just a place to talk about most things in a calm and collected way with each other.

Not always. Additionally worth noting is that we don't shy away from pointed criticism. If the claim is outrageous enough to drop the cool and collected manner, well, it's no holds barred.

That said, most conversations here aren't like that, but expect people who disagree with your claims to let you know.

What total horseshit.

(Just kidding!)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #744 on: August 11, 2015, 03:38:54 pm »
that was the joke, 'chew... else why would we have f&b?

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #745 on: August 11, 2015, 04:35:58 pm »
I'm new...net new.  I found this place because I've become a regular on FSTDT.com and got reading lots of the comments, saw that there were regular people and wondered if there was a forum where the all congregated.  I was pointed here.

I live in Canada.  I'm 48 (but I'm extremely immature for 48).  Agnostic but not sure if theist or atheist, I never understood the finer points of how that definition is supposed to work.  I'm a musician.  Pet peeve is fundamentalists.

Ah, glad to see you finally sorted out that activation problem.

You'll see a few people here that still post on FSTDT also.  Barbarella is SpukiKitty and old viking is old viking.

Welcome aboard!
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Mister Pine

• Apprentice
« Reply #746 on: August 11, 2015, 04:38:04 pm »

You'll see a few people here that still post on FSTDT also.  Barbarella is SpukiKitty and old viking is old viking.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks, yes, I didn't get an activation code at all!  Checked my deleted and junk folders and everything.  After a couple days the login just worked.

Thanks for letting me know about the FSTDTers, and if anyone else wants to raise their hand I'd be glad to know as well. 

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #747 on: August 11, 2015, 06:08:15 pm »

Welcome aboard!
Thanks, yes, I didn't get an activation code at all!  Checked my deleted and junk folders and everything.  After a couple days the login just worked.

Thanks for letting me know about the FSTDTers, and if anyone else wants to raise their hand I'd be glad to know as well. 

Yeah, there's an issue where sometimes people need their account activated manually (I try to check for that every day). You should have gotten an email when your account was activated, but maybe that isn't working right either?

Anyway, welcome to the forums!
Σא

Offline Mister Pine

• Apprentice
« Reply #748 on: August 11, 2015, 06:10:33 pm »
Thank you very much!  I think I will like it here.

Just a thought, you might find a way to make it so that a guest can send a message to a moderator - I thought if I did that I could let you know the activation emails weren't happening.  No matter now that I'm in, though.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #749 on: August 11, 2015, 06:19:05 pm »
Just remember we all float down here.

Ironbite-wait this isn't Mayhem.