Author Topic: Christian School teacher fired for our of wedlock pregnancy.  (Read 4294 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-teacher-cathy-samford-fired-unwed-pregnancy-offered/story?id=16115051

Apparently, it was in the contract as some sort of "moral clause".  She should have read the contract, but it's still bullshit that they can do this in this day and age.  An out of wedlock pregnancy?  What's the big deal?  It sounds like their main issue was that she had sex before marriage. 

What really gets me is that in their attempt to appear "moral" and "righteous", they ended up potentially screwing over the baby when the mother can't support it.  All in the name of some intangible institution (marriage). 

It's a good example of why conservative "morality" is superficial bullshit. 

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Christian School teacher fired for our of wedlock pregnancy.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:28:19 pm »

What really gets me is that in their attempt to appear "moral" and "righteous", they ended up potentially screwing over the baby when the mother can't support it.  All in the name of some intangible institution (marriage). 

But she's a slutty immoral whore who will probably just kill the innocent(except for original sin) baby through abortion and cause it to go to hell(because god is merciful and loves it). I bet this harlot holds hands, in public no less! That's what gets you pregnant right? /fundie

Did I cover all the relevant bases?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:14:45 pm »
But don't you know out of wedlock pregnancy is EVIL???

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:53:44 pm »
This one is kind of hard for me.  On the one hand, I know just how hard it is to make it as a single mama and how much is sucks to have people do things to you/judge you for having a baby without being married.  On the other hand, that's the cost of doing business with fundamentalists.  :( It sucks, but it's not really much different from any other employer insisting on certain conditions.  Reminds me in a tangential way of a woman I know who worked in some secular way for the local Catholic church doing something with their paperwork, and they wouldn't fund any birth control for her as part of her health plan.  I think that's horrid, but on the other hand, it's not like she didn't know that was something the church thought was a big no-no when she started there, you know?  I'm more of a people first person, but I recognize the realities some employers impose.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:58 pm »
I know a Pagan who works at a Catholic school.  She has to stay deeply closeted, even though she doesn't teach religion courses or in any way influence the kids' spiritual development, because the job description says you have to be Catholic to work there.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:42 pm »
I know a Pagan who works at a Catholic school.  She has to stay deeply closeted, even though she doesn't teach religion courses or in any way influence the kids' spiritual development, because the job description says you have to be Catholic to work there.

Does she have to go to church to? How the hell do they even police that anyway? Is it even legal to require someone be a certain religion if the job isn't religious in nature ?

On a related note I'm in Boy Scouts and since Atheists and Agnostics are evil they aren't allowed in. Anytime the matter comes up(which is actually rare if ever) I say I'm a member of the Order of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, and I've instructed my atheist friend in the same troop to do the same. What religion you are doesn't actually matter, so we could say we're satanists and it would be okay, though I doubt anyone would actually kick us out if we said we were atheist with a megaphone.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:28:34 pm by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:37 pm »
The virgin Mary got pregnant out of weblock too.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:30:18 pm »
The virgin Mary got pregnant out of wedlock too.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:07 pm »

Try bringing that up to these assclowns, and they’ll just call you a smartass.
-A Pen Name

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:25:27 pm »

She was married,  but not to the guy who got her pregnant.

Am I the only one who's thought Mary probably made that "pregnant by god" thing up to cover the fact that she banged some guy who wasn't her husband? I mean really, does that not seem to be a more sensible explanation? Everyone also forgets Mary was like 12-years-old at the time, while Joseph was 90 or something(don't remember the exact numbers). These same people go on to bitch about Mohammad being a pedophile regarding hid wife Aisha.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:27:11 pm by MadCatTLX »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:27:01 am »
Am I the only one who's thought Mary probably made that "pregnant by god" thing up to cover the fact that she banged some guy who wasn't her husband? I mean really, does that not seem to be a more sensible explanation? Everyone also forgets Mary was like 12-years-old at the time, while Joseph was 90 or something(don't remember the exact numbers). These same people go on to bitch about Mohammad being a pedophile regarding hid wife Aisha.

Given how common incestuous rape(uncles raping their nieces etc) is today. Once can only assume it was far more prevalent in the past where victims were forced to keep quiet about it out of fear of death. My conclusion is she had sex with someone and then to cover that up chose to claim it was gods baby. To be honest, I think it strongly implies that Joseph was either an idiot, or amazingly loving and accepting.

With regards to the actual topic. Aren't there laws that protect people from things like this, especially workplace discrimination laws? I don't know too much about how America handles things like this but here a contract with a clause like that would be found invalid, and she would be able to keep her job. Isn't this basically discriminating against her because she is a woman?

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:54:25 am »
If Blackwater can legally hold people in a contractual indentured servitude I think this can be legal too. 

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 07:56:38 am »

Given how common incestuous rape(uncles raping their nieces etc) is today. Once can only assume it was far more prevalent in the past where victims were forced to keep quiet about it out of fear of death. My conclusion is she had sex with someone and then to cover that up chose to claim it was gods baby. To be honest, I think it strongly implies that Joseph was either an idiot, or amazingly loving and accepting.

With regards to the actual topic. Aren't there laws that protect people from things like this, especially workplace discrimination laws? I don't know too much about how America handles things like this but here a contract with a clause like that would be found invalid, and she would be able to keep her job. Isn't this basically discriminating against her because she is a woman?
Religous institutions can get exceptions.  As for the former part I remember watching a vid where he was like okay yeah whatever.  Honestly the bible did not care about the man at all.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »
I'm not sure if she's in a right-to-work state or not, but in many states, employers can just let you go for any reason they want...or no reason at all.  Employment situations are highly tenuous.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »
Con agenda
Make sure if you have to have a job or else you're fucked;  Check
make sure employers can fire you for BUll Shit reasons so you are always in fear of losing your job: Check
Call it freedom:  Check
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor