Author Topic: Shippers Ship the Darndest Pairings  (Read 47877 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Shippers Ship the Darndest Pairings
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 10:00:20 pm »
I don't think it's strayed too much, but a thread in F&B about crack pairings (or just bad fanfic in general) would probably get a decent number of posts.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 11:02:56 pm »
I have no problem with shipping as long as the ships are supportable and not simply completely disgusting.

For example, there are South Park fans who ship Kyle and Cartman. Even though they hate each other. And even though neither has stated that they are attracted to men. And even though both of them are like fucking 10 years old.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 11:07:02 pm »
For example, there are South Park fans who ship Kyle and Cartman. Even though they hate each other. And even though neither has stated that they are attracted to men. And even though both of them are like fucking 10 years old.
There was an episode where Cartman claimed that he and Kyle are dating. It was also one of their funnier episodes, no less.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 01:21:07 am »
There was an episode where Cartman claimed that he and Kyle are dating. It was also one of their funnier episodes, no less.

Really? Which one?

I remember one where Cartman and Kyle both get AIDS and people assumed that they were gay lovers or something.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 01:22:22 am »
True, but shippers can get kinda...creepy with their ships.  Also, the creepier they are, it seems, the more likely they are to go into gory detail with thing they really ought not to go into, like, any detail with.

Like, the more out-and-out wrong a ship/fic is, the more likely you're going to be reading about sex acts in incredible (and disturbing) detail, the more gruesome things like fights become...just, people get downright fucky with ships, sometimes.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 01:30:20 am »
I am a survivor of Mass Effect shipping wars and they aren't pretty.

Also, for anyone to seriously consider Miranda Lawson/Jack to be anything but a hate ship, you need Jesus.

And that's coming from someone who ships Jack/Shepard and Miranda/Shepard (during the Collector run so tensions are high between them cause Cerberus).

Some people can get really crazy... It's scary.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 01:32:09 am »
The worst ships are the ones where the shipper makes one or more characters act extremely out-of-character for the sake of the ship.

Wendy Testeburger will not blackmail her classmates into making yaoi for her to broadcast on the internet. Hagrid will never like My Chemical Romance, nor will he ever be a goth. Canada will not snap, reveal himself to be a sadistic psychopath, and brutally murder a number of other nations. Graystripe will never break the ThunderClan code so that he can rape a female cat. None of these things make any sense. At all.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:59 am »

Really? Which one?

Cartman Finds Love.

Basically, a new black girl arrives at the school. She like Kyle, but Cartman thinks that because she's black, she needs to date Token instead. Part of his plan to do that involves telling her that he and Kyle are dating to keep her from pursuing him.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 01:59:42 am »
The worst ships are the ones where the shipper makes one or more characters act extremely out-of-character for the sake of the ship.

Wendy Testeburger will not blackmail her classmates into making yaoi for her to broadcast on the internet. Hagrid will never like My Chemical Romance, nor will he ever be a goth. Canada will not snap, reveal himself to be a sadistic psychopath, and brutally murder a number of other nations. Graystripe will never break the ThunderClan code so that he can rape a female cat. None of these things make any sense. At all.

Yeah see... there are a couple Jack/Miranda shippers who have done that exact thing to make it work. I'm sorry, but no. If you have to destroy the character then stop.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 02:16:44 am »
Hagrid will never like My Chemical Romance, nor will he ever be a goth.

You realize that that particular scenario is from a well-known trollfic, right?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 02:19:01 am »

I do.

So is the one about Greystripe. Seriously, Starkit's Prophecy can give anything Tara Gilesbie shits out a run for its money any day.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 02:31:01 am »
Zachski, make this a separate thread, because for some sick reasons, talking about this stuff is actually amusing.

Here's some title suggestions:
  • "Shippers Ship The Darnest Couples"
  • "Shippers Say The Darnest Things"
  • "Shippers Do The Darnest Things"
  • "The Crazy Shipping/Shipper Thread"
  • "Ship of Fools (The Offensive Shipping/Shipper Thread)"
I'm sure some people may come up with better names.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 03:37:59 am »

I do.

So is the one about Greystripe. Seriously, Starkit's Prophecy can give anything Tara Gilesbie shits out a run for its money any day.

I don't get why you're all freaking out about it and talking about it as if it were legit shipping, then. I mean, there's crazy shippers, I give you that, but trollfics aren't taken seriously and thus aren't of the same caliber as, say, shipping Lucius Malfoy and Hermione despite the fact that for that pairing to have any traction one or both of them need to act incredibly out of character.

Or maybe I'm just reading you wrong?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 03:47:50 am »
I don't get why you're all freaking out about it and talking about it as if it were legit shipping,
That's a bit of a No True Scotsman.

That said, I'm not sure why you're so defensive about it. It's not as though this is a serious issue, it's bloody fanfiction we're talking about here. If you're into it, then it's good you've found something that you enjoy. There will be those who do think the whole thing is ridiculous (myself included), and as long as they're not actively attacking you over it, just ignore them. Fanfiction apologetics are almost guaranteed to be a waste of everyone's time.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 04:22:17 am »
Congratulations, the mitosis has produced a nice, young new thread!

...Which is my fancy speak for saying I split the thread.

EDIT: Gah!  Must remember, I use Teal, not Blue!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet