Author Topic: Julian Assange granted asylum by Ecuador  (Read 14642 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Julian Assange granted asylum by Ecuador
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2012, 06:22:07 pm »
Knowing the basics of government activity, like the nature of their illegal torture regime= total openness. There's no difference between the name of a spy and, say, lobbying by McDonalds to coerce the judiciary of a third world nation. Everything should be secret.

Not everything has to be a secrete.  The US government is pretty damn opened.  Could it be a little more open, yes.  Is any government ever going to be as open as you would like, not a chance.

No government will ever tell us what they're doing to people in their torture dungeons? Most governments don't even have them.

Mistrial. Give it another go.

A mistrial because the Government fucked up gathering of evidence, stuff they can't regather.

You think there's not enough evidence to prove that Ellsburg leaked the Papers?

I don't really recall any "All The President's Men" type of stuff coming out. Mostly just "Huh, our ambassador to some of our tenuous allies finds the government to be unhelpful and hard to work with".

That kind of irrelevent ephemera is certainly what the media focused on. Rather than the US spying on the UN. Or coercion in Copenhagen. Or favours to Boeing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:27:45 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2012, 06:32:29 pm »
No government will ever tell us what they're doing to people in their torture dungeons? Most governments don't even have them.

We knew how the government was using torture before Wikileaks.  What we did not know was the names of informants and what was in communications between Embassies.  As pointed out people really don't need to know those things.

Plus if you don't think most government do not have places that you describe as torture dungeons you maybe a bit naive.

You think there's not enough evidence to prove that Ellsburg leaked the Papers?

Yes I do.  However if that evidence was gathered in improper ways it is not admissible.  Plus since the papers are now out and have been it is a moot point.

There is also a difference in what type of information was leaked.  The pentagon papers did not directly put lives in danger and were not directly released to the public.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2012, 06:36:37 pm »

We knew how the government was using torture before Wikileaks.  What we did not know was the names of informants and what was in communications between Embassies.  As pointed out people really don't need to know those things.

Did we know that the US government knew many of these people were innocent of any charge?

Plus if you don't think most government do not have places that you describe as torture dungeons you maybe a bit naive.

I find that incredibly insulting. My government certainly does not use torture. My government only imprisons criminals. Your government is a freak.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:16 pm »
Did we know that the US government knew many of these people were innocent of any charge?
Where was that put by Wikileaks? 

I find that incredibly insulting. My government certainly does not use torture. My government only imprisons criminals. Your government is a freak.

You're right, your government just sub-contracts...

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australia-paying-troops-who-torture-20100912-1571d.html
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/australia-paying-troops-who-torture-20100913-1577k.html

...or help my "freak of a country"

http://www.soros.org/voices/case-watch-australias-complicity-torture-no-more-excuses
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:08:17 pm by m52nickerson »
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth