Author Topic: New plan by Occupy Wall St.  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: New plan by Occupy Wall St.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 05:35:55 am »
Commies.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 09:55:31 am »
I think it's a nice gesture, and a good PR stunt- but any private organisation or charity's objective should be to leverage state power to achieve their objective, since they will never be able to come close to doing so themselves. Want cancer research? Don't finance 10 million dollars of cancer research, throw 10 million dollars in bribes to the Federal Government in order that it will fund 3 billion dollars of cancer research.

It's a wonderful gesture. And a hell of a PR move. If they are really trying to erase American's debt, you're right that this isn't the most efficient way to go about doing it. However if they are trying to change their image, that's a powerful step in the right direction. And because it's not doing the most good, that's still not a reason to discount the partial good it is doing.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 05:18:15 pm »
I don't see why OWS should have to change their image, since they never did anything wrong- but, yes, as a PR move it's a good one.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
It's not that they did anything wrong, per se, but that they have an image of do-nothings.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »
I don't see why OWS should have to change their image, since they never did anything wrong- but, yes, as a PR move it's a good one.

Know what protesting does?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 12:22:04 am »
Mildly inconveniences some people in return for potential major change. If people can't understand cost/benefit...
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 01:31:28 am »
OWS' public image was already good, amongst many liberal types who were likely on their side to begin with.  With this, they broaden their base and gain support, thus improving their image in the eyes of the people that they want to reach: those that aren't in the choir.

This is an, admittedly very good, effort to get those who are on the fence off it, and over to their side.  Yeah, it'll cost a lot of money, but it'll be well-spent when their ideals gain broader support.

Also, I think what Rookie's trying to say is that a lot of people see liberal protestors as lazy college kids who just want to mooch off the government and smoke dope whilst playing acoustic instruments in a public park like a buncha tools.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:33:34 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:37 am »

Doesn't really strike me as a change of image at all, simply a change of strategy. Having someone like Alexis Golstein (featured in the above video report) on their side who has seen the battle from both sides of the fence is a good way to answer the critics who say that they don't understand how the world works.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 07:18:48 am »
Mildly inconveniences some people in return for potential major change. If people can't understand cost/benefit...
In all fairness, there's far more potential for protests to turn into riots (and lots of lovely property damage) than to cause major change.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:22 am »

I had typed out a nice fairly longish post about how protesting doesn't really accomplish anything. I deleted it because that's not quite right. Aside from the minor inconveniences you mentioned, protesting is a attention getting first step in whatever cause you're taking up. As far as what was wrong with OWS' image, RH did a pretty good job summarizing it. Maybe not quite lazy kids who just want to smoke dope and show off mad bongo skills. But certainly kids who didn't quite get how the world works.

Personally, I always felt they were justified in their frustration, but were going about it the wrong way. Wall Street I always saw as a symptom rather than the disease. Wall Street symbolizes capitalist businesses. If money is the means, end, and justification, Wall Street is where you want to be. But they're going as far as Washington will let them. I always thought instead of Wall Street, they should be occupying Pennsylvania Ave. and the intersection of E. Capitol St. and 1st St.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »
Speaking as a former collections paralegal...this idea is pure fucking brilliance.

And it's totally legal, too.

Is there also an easy way for OWS to annotate or remove the charge offs from the relieved debtor's FICO/3X credit bureau ratings? Most of the zombie debt collectors don't do anything like that; can't be bothered to, even though it's required.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 05:03:35 pm »
Here's an issue that hasn't been brought up yet:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZFQd_Wsp0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZFQd_Wsp0</a>

TL;DW, Debts that have been paid off count as taxable income, meaning that $$ needs to be paid to the gov't somehow. Makes no sense to me, but there it is.

ETA: And CNN found it. Or, at least, one of their bloggers did. Probably best to avoid the comments.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/14/opinion/rushkoff-occupy-debt/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:30:31 pm by Her3tiK »
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.