Author Topic: Viral Picture of French Soldier Causes Uproar  (Read 2133 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Viral Picture of French Soldier Causes Uproar
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
I think the photo is eerie and kind of awesome.  But is it seriously that big of a deal?   

French military commanders reacted furiously to the photo. According to RTL, army spokesman Col. Thierry Burkhard called the soldier's behavior "unacceptable" and stressed that the image was "not representative of France’s action in Mali."

SlateAfrique reported that the French military had opened an investigation into the incident and was determined to discover the identity of the soldier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/french-soldier-skeleton-mask_n_2526510.html

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Viral Picture of French Soldier Causes Uproar
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:35:14 pm »
It's just continuing the ancient tradition of war paint or war masks, armor visor helmets, etc. Balaclavas and kerchiefs with fierce imagery is part of assault troops' weaponry - intimidate the enemy.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »
I think it's because they are a peace-keeping/assistance mission, so it appears unseemingly to a degree.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:14:55 pm »
I think it's because they are a peace-keeping/assistance mission, so it appears unseemingly to a degree.
Especially so seeing as Mali is a former colony (of some European, if not the French).

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:34:47 pm »
I do admit the photo is pretty cool, but yeah, if they're on a peacekeeping mission, that may be a little much.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 03:33:14 am »
That would make a badass metal album cover. As a representative photo of a peacekeeping mission, not so cool.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 05:10:41 am »
Yeah, that isn't the right image for what they're doing. Still, they should save it for propaganda purposes.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 10:04:36 am »
It's been my experience that peacekeeping is just as bloody and dangerous as war fighting. That said, I'm not sure what the French rules are as far as uniform modifications. I do know Americans weren't allowed to do that, wear unauthorized things with the uniform.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Distind

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:12:23 am »
Without the wrap over his face that'd look like a damn recruiting poster. With it, metal album.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:06 am »
It's been my experience that peacekeeping is just as bloody and dangerous as war fighting. That said, I'm not sure what the French rules are as far as uniform modifications. I do know Americans weren't allowed to do that, wear unauthorized things with the uniform.

Not saying it isn't bloody and dangerous, but there's a certain image out of combat someone has to carry since their here at the discretion of the Malian Government. If it's upsetting to them, it's probably not good.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 11:59:31 am »
I never said it wasn't bad.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:12:37 pm »
There's a paintball team I know used to wear masks like that.  They were also crap at the game and used to look really daft sitting in the waiting area in those masks covered in paint. ;D
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:33 pm »
Especially so seeing as Mali is a former colony (of some European, if not the French).
It was a French colony.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 05:40:52 pm »
Mali was a french colony but I thought it was less a peace-keeping mission and more a mission to prop up the 'legitimate' Mali government and fuck Al-Quaeda in North Mali 's shit right the fuck up.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 12:28:35 pm »
Mali was a french colony but I thought it was less a peace-keeping mission and more a mission to prop up the 'legitimate' Mali government and fuck Al-Quaeda in North Mali 's shit right the fuck up.

Bingo, and remember, paratroopers and light armored divisions are by definition frontline combat troops, not really intended to act as military police in re civil unrest. Intimidating extremists is part of the job of "peacekeeping" when those enemies are bent on fomenting violent civil war. Remembering that Mogadishu-like escalation is always possible, wearing a scary face mask while on the lookout for enemy is not innappropriate in this case, imo.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.