Author Topic: Russia is at it again  (Read 15034 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Russia is at it again
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 11:24:40 pm »
You know, the problem with Godwin's law is that it's abused to shut down any comparisons. I'm sorry, but are you saying that a powerful government blaming specific groups of people for all their issues, stealing all their land, wiping them out and making them second class citizens isn't Naziesque?
Unless they're actually rounding them up and placing them in death camps in an attempt to methodically wipe them all out, then it's still a hyperbole.
What if they're bulldozing their houses, stripping them of all their rights and bombing their cities? Is it hyperbole still? Because if not, we still have goddamn Nazi Jews.
Again, are they rounding them up and forcing them into death camps? No? Well, then, a comparison to Nazis is nothing more than the world's most overused appeal to emotion.

Also, not sure what this actually has to do with gays in Russia, unless of course there are gay cities throughout Russia that are currently being bombed.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 11:30:45 pm »
You know, the problem with Godwin's law is that it's abused to shut down any comparisons. I'm sorry, but are you saying that a powerful government blaming specific groups of people for all their issues, stealing all their land, wiping them out and making them second class citizens isn't Naziesque?
Unless they're actually rounding them up and placing them in death camps in an attempt to methodically wipe them all out, then it's still a hyperbole.
What if they're bulldozing their houses, stripping them of all their rights and bombing their cities? Is it hyperbole still? Because if not, we still have goddamn Nazi Jews.
Again, are they rounding them up and forcing them into death camps? No? Well, then, a comparison to Nazis is nothing more than the world's most overused appeal to emotion.

Also, not sure what this actually has to do with gays in Russia, unless of course there are gay cities throughout Russia that are currently being bombed.
I'm talking about Israel there, saying that even if Russia doesn't count, Israel does. And, did the Nazis start immediately by doing that? No. Therefore, they are early-stage Nazis.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »
I'm talking about Israel there, saying that even if Russia doesn't count, Israel does. And, did the Nazis start immediately by doing that? No. Therefore, they are early-stage Nazis.
...They are early-stage Nazis, you say? So they believe in German supremacy and Jewish inferiority, do they? If I were to go to Israel, I'd see them proudly flying the Swastika from every flagpole? Is their government a totalitarian dictatorship? Would checking the Israeli census show that every single citizen is a card-carrying member of the Nazi Party?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:02:26 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 12:24:23 am »
...They are early-stage Nazis, you say? So they believe in German supremacy and Jewish inferiority, do they? If I were to go to Israel, I'd see them proudly flying the Swastika from every flagpole? Is their government a totalitarian dictatorship? Would checking the Israeli census show that every single citizen is a card-carrying member of the Nazi Party?
That's illogical and you know it. Their actions are extremely similar to the Nazis, and therefore can be compared to the Nazis. Unless you completely failed all of school, you know that two things don't need to be identical to be compared. You know I wasn't being literal, and you complained in the first place that even comparing them to the Nazis would be wrong, which it isn't. The are highly similar to the Nazis, and their ideology is the same as the Nazis was at the start, just with "Germans" replaced with "Jews" and "Jews" replaced with "Palestinians". If a southern politician called for slavery, you wouldn't object to them being called a Confederate asshole. But, they're not literally a member of the Confederate States of America.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 12:44:01 am »
That's illogical and you know it. Their actions are extremely similar to the Nazis, and therefore can be compared to the Nazis. Unless you completely failed all of school, you know that two things don't need to be identical to be compared. You know I wasn't being literal, and you complained in the first place that even comparing them to the Nazis would be wrong, which it isn't. The are highly similar to the Nazis, and their ideology is the same as the Nazis was at the start, just with "Germans" replaced with "Jews" and "Jews" replaced with "Palestinians". If a southern politician called for slavery, you wouldn't object to them being called a Confederate asshole. But, they're not literally a member of the Confederate States of America.
I already explained this earlier, but since it didn't sink in the first time...

What you call "early stage Nazis" is nothing more than generic persecution. The Nazis were neither the first nor the most prolific practitioners of this sort of thing. They're no more "early stage Nazis" than they are "Romans" or "Mongolians" or "Chinese", or pretty much every single group in history that ever at some point had power over another. If they were doing things that Nazi-run Germany specifically did to eliminate those they don't like (the usual death camps, forced experimentation, all that good stuff), then it would be a valid comparison. If not, however, it serves no purpose other than an extremely tired and overused appeal to emotion.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 01:12:45 am »
*AUGH!*

DERAILED AGAIN!

Back to the subject of the Ruskies being nutskies, okay, guys?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:29 am »
Try Nazi Germany.

Ironbite-only with gays instead of Jews.

The Nazis did go after gays. Just not as hard and heavy as Russia and Greece have been doing.

With that said, stop with the comparisons already. Russia has been a bully for centuries. Even before the Nazis were heard around the world.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 08:46:51 am »
Try Nazi Germany.

The Nazis did go after gays. Just not as hard and heavy as Russia and Greece have been doing.

With that said, stop with the comparisons already. Russia has been a bully for centuries. Even before the Nazis were heard around the world.
So could we call the Nazis Russia-like? Because if it works one way, why not the other?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 08:53:16 am »
Try Nazi Germany.

Well much of that bullying was done by the previous regimes. So accusing them of those would be like accusing Italy for the crimes of Rome or China for what their emperors did.

I mean between change from Czars to USSR and then to the current "democratic" Russia shouldn't the country get a clean slate?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 08:53:36 am »
Lmfao. No.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 08:58:59 am »
Out of curiosity, why not?

I mean I understand going after Nazi war criminals even after the regime fell, the actual people who have done crimes against humanity/international laws or given the order to commit those are still guily. But after the regime falls and a new legally different country is born to take over the same region... Why does it inherit the old crimes?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 09:04:02 am »
Sorry apparently you posted after PHH and I didn't recognize that when I posted and moved on. Mine was in response to PHH's post.

However, in response to yours. For me, sure each regime gets a clean slate. But that doesn't erase what has happened before. It doesn't erase that you can easily look and see that Russia has changed little in the past 200 years or so. At least where their governments are concerned. Same shit, different day.

BUT, I will hold the USSR to what the USSR did and hold what Putin did to Putin. Rather than what the USSR did and hold it to Putin.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:06:59 am by Booker DeWitt »

&

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:35 pm »
I just want to know, why is the Russian government so into this big homophobic pogrom thing, all of the sudden? Something must have triggered Putin to wake up one day & go "I think I'll start a big anti-homosexual pogrom, today". Now, I know that homophobia's big in Russia but I still wonder what was the catalyst?

I'm half convinced that a gay guy hit on Putin one day, and that Putin is in the closet.  Staunch homophobes sure seem to be there a lot--look at Ted Haggard, Larry Craig, etc;  I kept waiting for pictures of Rick Santorum and Bryan Fisher coming out of a Minneapolis airport bathroom to surface during the election last year.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »
I just want to know, why is the Russian government so into this big homophobic pogrom thing, all of the sudden? Something must have triggered Putin to wake up one day & go "I think I'll start a big anti-homosexual pogrom, today". Now, I know that homophobia's big in Russia but I still wonder what was the catalyst?

I'm half convinced that a gay guy hit on Putin one day, and that Putin is in the closet.  Staunch homophobes sure seem to be there a lot--look at Ted Haggard, Larry Craig, etc;  I kept waiting for pictures of Rick Santorum and Bryan Fisher coming out of a Minneapolis airport bathroom to surface during the election last year.

I figured that, too. V-Poo (as I call him) is a major closet case. Look at him! Here's a guy who plays-up the whole macho image. He got a boner for hating others like him, so he gets on the homophobic pogrom bandwagon big-time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:35:27 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 07:54:35 pm »

I figured that, too. V-Poo (as I call him) is a major closet case. Look at him! Here's a guy who plays-up the whole macho image...despite looking like a hybrid of Frank Gorshin & Nobby The House Elf. He got a boner for hating others like him, so he gets on the homophobic pogrom bandwagon big-time.

You know, I'm pretty sure playing up stereotypes of gay men being "effeminate" is also homophobic.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.