Author Topic: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread  (Read 28679 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2014, 02:09:47 pm »
Conservatives proved with Perot that they would be willing to split the vote and screw their party if that's what it took to make the Republicans more ideologically pure.

Pretty much exactly what I've been saying progressives need to do. If they voted en masse outside the Democratic party and made them lose a few high-profile elections, the Democrats would come crawling to their platform.

En masse where?  I can't think of a single party that I would actually give enough of a damn to vote for instead of the democratic party.  The ones that seem best are quite pretentious.

Either way, I will say this: The pendulum may have swung in the Republicans' favor way too early.  They've just bought enough rope to hang themselves, and this may cost them in the 2016 election.

The only thing you can count on the public to do is be fickle.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »
Conservatives proved with Perot that they would be willing to split the vote and screw their party if that's what it took to make the Republicans more ideologically pure.

Pretty much exactly what I've been saying progressives need to do. If they voted en masse outside the Democratic party and made them lose a few high-profile elections, the Democrats would come crawling to their platform.

En masse where?  I can't think of a single party that I would actually give enough of a damn to vote for instead of the democratic party.  The ones that seem best are quite pretentious.

Either way, I will say this: The pendulum may have swung in the Republicans' favor way too early.  They've just bought enough rope to hang themselves, and this may cost them in the 2016 election.

The only thing you can count on the public to do is be fickle.

It's easier to win a state than it is to win a country.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »
So, how long until the Republicans try to repeal Obamacare and Obama vetoes it?

I give it 5 hours. With a side bet that by the first of February, they'll have tried to repeal minimum wage laws.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2014, 04:28:36 pm »
So, how long until the Republicans try to repeal Obamacare and Obama vetoes it?

I give it 5 hours. With a side bet that by the first of February, they'll have tried to repeal minimum wage laws.

Congress can only do that with the federal minimum wage laws. The state minimum wage laws are decided by state governments.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »
Well, yes, that's what I meant. Obviously the federal congress won't get rid of state minimum wage laws.

That's what state congresses are for.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2014, 04:36:43 pm »
Stay calm, all.  Here is your assignment.  Come back to me one year from today and tell me what's different about society and the economy.  (Hint: nothing.)
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2014, 04:38:16 pm »
Stay calm, all.  Here is your assignment.  Come back to me one year from today and tell me what's different about society and the economy.  (Hint: nothing.)

Yeah, most likely, all that'll happen is more gridlock and more anger in Congress.  Maybe somebody will get beaten with a cane again.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2014, 04:45:09 pm »
It's hard to remain optimistic when I read Townhall.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2014, 05:07:03 pm »

Actually, yeah, that's a fair point.

You know how Republicans have been stonewalling Democratic attempts at progress (and sometimes regress)?

Guess who is also capable of doing that right now.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »

You know how Republicans have been stonewalling Democratic attempts at progress (and sometimes regress)?

On the one hand, the cynical side of me says that'll never fucking happen because they're spineless.

The optimist in me is giggling in anticipation of the GOP getting a taste of their own medicine.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2014, 05:30:35 pm »

On the one hand, the cynical side of me says that'll never fucking happen because they're spineless.

The optimist in me is giggling in anticipation of the GOP getting a taste of their own medicine.

Democrats love their stonewalling tactics almost as much as the Republicans do.  It's basically a political pastime.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2014, 05:34:30 pm »
I still remember Alison Grimes and her pro-coal thing.

I cannot stand anyone who would stand by those creatures who want to destroy the world just to reap a profit.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2014, 06:14:22 pm »

Yeah, most likely, all that'll happen is more gridlock and more anger in Congress.  Maybe somebody will get beaten with a cane again.

There is actually pretty good research showing that it is easier to govern when congress is controlled by one party than when it is split, even when the president is of a different party. Basically, since 2008 the Republicans have done nothing but throw spitballs from the back of the class. Now they will be expected to actually govern if they hope to be taken seriously in 2016. They are going to be forced to come to the negotiating table, I'm sure with a great deal of kicking and screaming from the Tea Party.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2014, 06:18:54 pm »

That's a possibility. It's perhaps even the most likely outcome.

But I just can't shake the idea of Obama "compromising" with the Republicans and signing their attempts to, say, cut Social Security and steamroll through the Keystone XL pipeline. He agrees with 98% of everything the GOP wants anyway; he just wants the excuse of "the Republicans made me do it."
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2014, 06:25:26 pm »

That's a possibility. It's perhaps even the most likely outcome.

But I just can't shake the idea of Obama "compromising" with the Republicans and signing their attempts to, say, cut Social Security and steamroll through the Keystone XL pipeline. He agrees with 98% of everything the GOP wants anyway; he just wants the excuse of "the Republicans made me do it."

The funny thing is that, even if he does this, they'll still label him a radical commie liberal hippie nazi facist.