Author Topic: The alt-right is shitting up the Hugo slates again  (Read 24813 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: The alt-right is shitting up the Hugo slates again
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2016, 10:27:26 pm »
Sad Puppies? Not political? Because apparently their entire purpose being to counter a perceived liberal bias in the Hugos is somehow not political now.

I didn't say they weren't political, just that they weren't as political as is commonly claimed.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2016, 10:32:21 pm »
I just want to comment on how utterly ridiculous these people's chosen moniker is.  Like, how out-of-touch do you have to be to call yourself and members of your movement "puppies?"  Couldn't have thought of something a bit more, I dunno, adult-sounding?  Like "The Coalition for Bias Elimination in the Hugos," or "Hugo Bias Eliminators" for short?  Is it so hard for people to think up grownup names for their little clubs?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:06 pm »
Sad Puppies? Not political? Because apparently their entire purpose being to counter a perceived liberal bias in the Hugos is somehow not political now.

I didn't say they weren't political, just that they weren't as political as is commonly claimed.
As claimed by who. Is your yardstick "being political" or is "being political in a specific way" because if it is it behooves you to tell us what that means.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2016, 10:39:40 pm »
I just want to comment on how utterly ridiculous these people's chosen moniker is.  Like, how out-of-touch do you have to be to call yourself and members of your movement "puppies?"  Couldn't have thought of something a bit more, I dunno, adult-sounding?  Like "The Coalition for Bias Elimination in the Hugos," or "Hugo Bias Eliminators" for short?  Is it so hard for people to think up grownup names for their little clubs?

Particularly considering that they're a group of supposed authors. Perhaps an indication of why they fail to get nominated is reflected in the fact they couldn't even come up with a self respecting moniker.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:19 pm »

As claimed by who. Is your yardstick "being political" or is "being political in a specific way" because if it is it behooves you to tell us what that means.

What I mean is that they nominated several left-wing authors.

It's a tongue-in-cheek reference to those Sarah McLachlan commercials.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2016, 10:48:14 pm »

So you are claiming that a campaign to counter an alleged liberal conspiracy gets partially depoliticised because they voted for some authors that could be called left wing. How does this act partially depoliticise the Sad Puppies? What's the mechanism at work here?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:51:00 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:10 pm »
No, what I'm saying is that there is no right-wing conspiracy to take over the Hugos, at least not on behalf of the sad puppies.

As for your requests for evidence that this happened before, Correia claims that he was subjected to whispering campaigns before the puppies existed.  I'll try to find evidence of that.
But the two Puppy groups have openly admitted that they are right wing groups that are trying to take over the Hugos. That is a thing that they have specifically said. They claimed that it is an counter attack against the conspiracy by the leftists who don't vote for books that have big titted babes and manly men with ray guns on the cover, but they have never denied that their movement is political and aiming to take over the Hugo awards.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:51 pm »

So you are claiming that a campaign to counter an alleged liberal conspiracy gets partially depoliticised because they voted for some authors that could be called left wing. How does this act partially depoliticise the Sad Puppies? What's the mechanism at work here?

Because it demonstrates that they're not biased against leftist authors, at least not to the degree that they claim WorldCon is biased against them.

No, what I'm saying is that there is no right-wing conspiracy to take over the Hugos, at least not on behalf of the sad puppies.

As for your requests for evidence that this happened before, Correia claims that he was subjected to whispering campaigns before the puppies existed.  I'll try to find evidence of that.
But the two Puppy groups have openly admitted that they are right wing groups that are trying to take over the Hugos. That is a thing that they have specifically said. They claimed that it is an counter attack against the conspiracy by the leftists who don't vote for books that have big titted babes and manly men with ray guns on the cover, but they have never denied that their movement is political and aiming to take over the Hugo awards.

I think you're conflating the Sad Puppies and the Rabid Puppies.  The former are more interested in proving biases.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:21:23 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2016, 11:36:28 pm »

Particularly considering that they're a group of supposed authors. Perhaps an indication of why they fail to get nominated is reflected in the fact they couldn't even come up with a self respecting moniker.

Christ, I'm just a fanfic author, and I thought that one up off the top of my head.  If supposed "proper" authors can't do that...well, I guess that means good things for me if I ever write some original fiction I want published.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41:00 pm »

Christ, I'm just a fanfic author, and I thought that one up off the top of my head.  If supposed "proper" authors can't do that...well, I guess that means good things for me if I ever write some original fiction I want published.

Like I said, it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to those Sarah McLachlan commercials.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2016, 11:46:50 pm »
That doesn't make it not a shit name.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2016, 11:53:06 pm »

Like I said, it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to those Sarah McLachlan commercials.

...And a group of supposed writers thought that the best they can do is imitate a commercial? Welp, this is about as much evidence for their talents and why they had poor luck at winning as anything UP has provided for the supposed conspiracies or lack of bias from the Puppies.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2016, 11:54:56 pm »

...And a group of supposed writers thought that the best they can do is imitate a commercial? Welp, this is about as much evidence for their talents and why they had poor luck at winning as anything UP has provided for the supposed conspiracies or lack of bias from the Puppies.

Have you actually read their work?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2016, 12:02:26 am »
Read who's work?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2016, 12:03:19 am »
Read who's work?

The people you're talking about.