Author Topic: Kidnapped for Christ  (Read 10917 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Kidnapped for Christ
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 02:47:38 pm »
The really sad part is the parents use their health insurance to pay for all of this.  So Republicans are against the ACA covering birth control and abortions, but they're okay with it covering child abuse?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 03:01:28 pm »
Ain't child abuse if you're doing it in the name of Jesus.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »
The really sad part is the parents use their health insurance to pay for all of this.  So Republicans are against the ACA covering birth control and abortions, but they're okay with it covering child abuse?

They'll die kill for you in utero, but once you're born, you'd better come outta your mom's snatch pulling on them bootstraps, because you're fucked.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 08:41:45 pm »
Ironic how Social Darwinist the Republicans, the so-called steadfast Christians, are.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 01:04:22 am »
Pro life, unless the life is gay, poor, Latino, black, disabled, Arabic, Muslim, female, or not a rich upperclass white male.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:04 am »
Such a thing should really not be legal. Parents should have no right to put their kids through torment like this. It's just as bad as real kidnapping.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 02:50:15 pm »
My wife just bought the DVD of Jesus Camp.  I think it was mentioned on these boards before, but since the child abuse is similar, I thought I'd talk about it again.  i'm so glad that camp is shut down.  That crap is not Christianity.  It's a god-damn cult!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 02:53:06 pm »
My wife just bought the DVD of Jesus Camp.  I think it was mentioned on these boards before, but since the child abuse is similar, I thought I'd talk about it again.  i'm so glad that camp is shut down.  That crap is not Christianity.  It's a god-damn cult!

[Insert inevitable mumble about all religions being a cult here]

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 06:47:25 pm »

I'll never forget that movie and how completely stunned I was that such a thing existed (I saw it back in high school). Kids crying because they're being called filthy sinners who will go to hell if they don't love god and repent. Kids being told to worship a cardboard cutout of Bush. Kids being forced to try to convert people. It's disgusting.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:54 pm »
The good news is the camp closed not long after, most likely because of the video itself.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 07:53:28 pm »
It always struck me as odd that people who supposedly follow "the truth" need to so severely indoctrinate children to maintain it.

If I may quote H.P. Lovecraft: "If religion were true, parents would not try to bludgeon their children into artificial conformity, but would instead encourage them to seek out truth in rational ways."
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 08:17:41 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 05:09:18 pm »
You can turn nearly anything into no true scotsman fallacy.

It doesn't really mean anything.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 08:00:43 pm »
You can turn nearly anything into no true scotsman fallacy.

It doesn't really mean anything.
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything. If you actually knew what you're talking about, you'd realise that "That crap is not Christianity." is a textbook No True Scotsman.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 08:09:02 pm »
I am not denying that the religion should really examine its more reactionary portions, I am just wondering why denouncing this sect as a cult would be some form of fallacy.