Author Topic: The Big Freaking Bioshock Entry: Rapture and Republicans + Economic Systems  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

The problem with economic systems is that they exclude the "People are selfish fucking bastards" factor.

On paper, they look great.  All the factors contributing to the greater whole, and working wonderfully.

However, people are selfish fucking bastards, and if they can, they will work any and all systems to give them the economic advantage.  Hence the need for regulations.

Take, for example, the much-vaunted Free Market System.

Ideally, the free market system is supposed to be ruled by supply and demand.  When there is a higher supply, there is a lower demand, and therefore lower prices.  The reverse is true, when there is low supply, and high demand.

However...  Say it with me now:  People are fucking bastards.  People can either hoard their supply, or order their factories (even though they have the capacity) to only make a very limited stock, increasing demand, prices, and profits.

((Mind you, I was hoping to get THESE published in the Deep South, too.  Hince the Christian references.))
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:07:00 am by Sour Grapes »

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
No comments?

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
The problem with economic systems is that they exclude the "People are selfish fucking bastards" factor.

Yeah, that's it right there.  I'm not a gamer, so I've never played the BioShock games, but your article does illustrate well the real point, that the problem with "utopian" ideals is that humans inevitably go overboard and fuck them up.

Maybe mention that the name Andrew Ryan might be a fairly direct nod to Ayn Rand  (Heh...and Wikipedia said he was voiced by Armin "Quark" Shimmerman, another major pop culture criticism of unrestrained capitalism.  Didn't know that.)  Or is that too obvious?
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope

Yeah, that's it right there.  I'm not a gamer, so I've never played the BioShock games, but your article does illustrate well the real point, that the problem with "utopian" ideals is that humans inevitably go overboard and fuck them up.

Maybe mention that the name Andrew Ryan might be a fairly direct nod to Ayn Rand  (Heh...and Wikipedia said he was voiced by Armin "Quark" Shimmerman, another major pop culture criticism of unrestrained capitalism.  Didn't know that.)  Or is that too obvious?

And the "People are stupid selfish short-sighted bastards" factor is exactly why I am not a communist. Any political system that relies on  large numbers of people being selfless and farsighted is doomed to catastrophic meltdown.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.