Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 274040 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #540 on: June 04, 2016, 02:33:53 am »
Yes, because it's not like the Iroquois built a functioning democracy centuries before the Europeans, or that Cahokia at it's height was bigger than contemporary London or Paris...
Cahokia had around 40 000 at the very most at its peak. That's a drop in the bucket compared to modern London or Paris.
Gibbon said "contemporary" not modern, still wrong though. In 1400 when Cahokia reached its highest population during 13th century it was probably only slightly smaller than London at the same time but Paris had over 200k people already.  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_urban_community_sizes )
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #541 on: June 04, 2016, 02:35:57 am »
Yes, because it's not like the Iroquois built a functioning democracy centuries before the Europeans, or that Cahokia at it's height was bigger than contemporary London or Paris...
Cahokia had around 40 000 at the very most at its peak. That's a drop in the bucket compared to modern London or Paris.
Gibbon said "contemporary" not modern, still wrong though. In 1400 when Cahokia reached its highest population during 13th century it was probably only slightly smaller than London at the same time but Paris had over 200k people already.  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_urban_community_sizes )
Gotta love brainfarts.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #542 on: June 04, 2016, 02:48:35 am »
Dang, I made some typos on my post as well. Anyway it looks nearly understandable so I suppose that is close enough.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #543 on: June 04, 2016, 10:51:57 am »
"Objectively speaking, which was after all her thing, native Americans don't have any right to live somewhere if a superior culture comes along and wipes them out - survival of the fittest"

-some asshole, defending Ayn Rand.

"In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use"

-Ayn fucking Rand

Wiping out another society because you dislike them: not, actually, a retaliatory use of force.
Σא

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #544 on: June 06, 2016, 01:32:20 am »
Doesn't appear to agree with this report (which is admittedly a bit old):

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/aic.pdf

Then again at a murder rate of 20% I would be amazed that a community could continue to exist at all.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #545 on: June 06, 2016, 01:34:11 am »
20% of what? All deaths? Or do they kill 20% of their population daily?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #546 on: June 06, 2016, 01:37:55 am »
He's talking about pre-contact deaths.

I have no clue where he got those stats, as he refuses to provide any sources.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #547 on: June 06, 2016, 01:53:42 am »
There are plenty of anthropologists that think many hunter gatherer and small scale farming societies can have very high rates of violent deaths from warfare, studies of groups in South America, New Guinea, Australia and Alaska do point towards males have 1 in 4 to 1 in 5 odds of being killed in war.  My sources are the books War Before Civilization by Lawrence Keeley, Better Angels of our Nature by Stephen Pinker and War by Gwynne Dyer.

However there are also many anthropologists who disagree and argue that levels of warfare are much lower.

Only being a layman I've been left with the impression that "primitive" societies seem to have wildly varying levels of violence, just like "modern" ones, and we should be skeptical about making sweeping generalizations about prehistory.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #548 on: June 06, 2016, 02:08:05 am »
Huh, I thought small tribal societies had very low death rate from war and murder, simply because tribes of only a few hundred people each can't afford to piss away their people.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #549 on: June 06, 2016, 02:26:17 am »
Their food supply can be pretty weak and unpredictable, so it can be very easy for even a small group to have more people then their territory can support, meaning they have to take someone else's and be constantly on guard from potentially hungry outsiders.  The general rule of thumb is that hunter-gatherers living in extremely marginal resource poor environments like the high arctic have low levels of warfare (since populations are tiny and you will rarely interact with outsiders) and those living in rich environments with more then enough have high levels of warfare (since it's actually possible to overrun your resource base and everywhere else already has people in it).

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #550 on: June 10, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »
He's talking about pre-contact deaths.

I have no clue where he got those stats, as he refuses to provide any sources.

I recall an article in New Scientist which estimated the death toll from violence before the advent of medieval nation states (and in the period when the Mongols really figured out this cavalry thing and no one could stop them) at 20%.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2016, 11:58:26 am »
[removed]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:51:02 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2016, 01:56:44 pm »
This ones a doozy

(click to show/hide)

Bong hits for the Illuminati!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:58:33 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2016, 04:25:36 pm »
Something-something Half-Life 3 confirmed.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #554 on: June 12, 2016, 05:04:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure the shooter's virulent homophobia was a bigger factor than Counterstrike.