Author Topic: Regulate sugar like alcohol and cigarettes?  (Read 39748 times)

Offline SugarfreeJazz

• Will burn down your state with combustible lemons
  • Apprentice
  • I wish we were better strangers.
Re: Regulate sugar like alcohol and cigarettes?
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2012, 07:22:23 pm »
Relevant http://justlikesugarinc.com/ (visit the intro page)
If you love someone set them free. If they come back, set them on fire.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2012, 07:56:16 pm »
Oh, and for those who complained about high fructose corn syrup instead of "sugar" sugar: they are the same thing and everyone who's bothered to read even the OP has no reason not to know such as it was directly stated how and why they are essentially the same.

That point is debatable.

The ratio of fructose and glucose are slightly different depending on the type of high fructose corn syrup used.

Also a few studies have found differences between them, such as...
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eatingwell/sugar-corn-syrup_b_1250010.html
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »
Why exactly is just about every suggestion on combating the obesity problem being treated like it must exist in a vacuum? Seriously, comprehensive plan:

1) Institute a nominal tax on non-necessity food items that are high in sugar (sodas and candy and ice cream and etc). Use the revenues to subsidize healthier food.
2) Institute regulations on how much sugar can be added to "necessity" food items like bread, milk products, crackers, canned fruits and veggies, etc.
3) Bridging points one and two, set a standard for sugar content that heat'n'eat meals that would place some of them under the sugar tax and some not. Microwavable meals aren't strictly a necessity, but they are a definite boon to some families.
4) Institute regulations on what foods are available in school cafeterias.
5) Better nutritional education in schools! Phys ed classes that focus more on exercise than learning a bunch of different games!
6) Go after corn subsidies and sugar tariffs that artificially skew prices on cane sugar and HFCS.

Seriously, there isn't a magic bullet of regulation that will make the problem go bye-bye and personal responsibility does play a role. However, there are steps that can be taken to try and minimize the problem. It's not "tax sweets or end subsidies or better education".
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2012, 09:51:21 am »
Why exactly is just about every suggestion on combating the obesity problem being treated like it must exist in a vacuum? Seriously, comprehensive plan:

1) Institute a nominal tax on non-necessity food items that are high in sugar (sodas and candy and ice cream and etc). Use the revenues to subsidize healthier food.
2) Institute regulations on how much sugar can be added to "necessity" food items like bread, milk products, crackers, canned fruits and veggies, etc.
3) Bridging points one and two, set a standard for sugar content that heat'n'eat meals that would place some of them under the sugar tax and some not. Microwavable meals aren't strictly a necessity, but they are a definite boon to some families.
4) Institute regulations on what foods are available in school cafeterias.
5) Better nutritional education in schools! Phys ed classes that focus more on exercise than learning a bunch of different games!
6) Go after corn subsidies and sugar tariffs that artificially skew prices on cane sugar and HFCS.

Seriously, there isn't a magic bullet of regulation that will make the problem go bye-bye and personal responsibility does play a role. However, there are steps that can be taken to try and minimize the problem. It's not "tax sweets or end subsidies or better education".

I agree with this post n its entirety.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Mira

• Literally Worse Than Hitler
  • Pope
  • Cisphobic reverse racist
    • Houserule Gaming
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2012, 01:27:44 pm »

I never stated or meant to imply that I believe in a single solution to the obesity problem (or any other problem really). I was simply discussing one possible means of tackling the problem.
I’ve grown overfed, unconcerned and comfortably numb
Kept busy indulging in the pleasures of the wealthy
Oh, someone make me afraid of what I’ve become!

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:33 pm »
I never stated or meant to imply that I believe in a single solution to the obesity problem (or any other problem really). I was simply discussing one possible means of tackling the problem.

Fair point. My post was somewhat directed at people who were saying "X won't solve the problem, Y would be more helpful".
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2012, 02:17:52 pm »
In my opinion, the use of HFCS in food products needs to be restricted, as it is much worse than corn syrup [1]. The US government should also stop the practice of mass subsidies of corn, as a large 4.1% of subsidized corn becomes hight fructose corn syrup ]. Over the past 17 years, the US has directly spent 16.9 billion dollars on corn syrup subsidies [2]. The US government also has Tariffs on the import of sugar in place, making it corn syrup cheaper and sugar more expensive (the tariff raises the cost of sugar by $1.25 for each $1) [3]. This tariff should be repealed. This is my opinion. I do NOT believe that we should be regulating the sale of it, just the usage in manufacturing.
Sources:
1. http://www.foodpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/HFCS_Rats_10.pdf
2. http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/09/ag-subsidies-fund-junk-food-report-says/
3. http://www.dailymarkets.com/economy/2012/01/28/sugar-tariffs-cost-americans-3-86-billion-in-2011/
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2012, 08:23:43 pm »
In my considered opinion, This quote:

Quote from: vene
Sleepy, I live with the person who wrote those rules and I've ran  a number of my posts by her. She didn't see a problem. Napoleon is also in this thread and he didn't see need to give me a warning (official or unofficial).

....does not constitute "hiding behind Oriet's mod status. Are there any other incidents in which people think he has done this?
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2012, 03:33:46 pm »
Organic sugar
Cane sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup
Evaporated cane juice
Fructose
Fruit extract
Crystalline fructose
High-fructose corn syrup
Invert sugar
Liquid Invert Sugar
Malt syrup
Molasses
Raw sugar
Sugar Alcohol

This is what I have an issue with.  Especially when they're worded to avoid calling them 'sugar'.  Because food ingredients must be listed in order of percentage, a common tactic in food production is to break up an undesirable additive - such as fillers - into several ingredient names, of each of which there are less than the more desirable components, and therefore can be included further down the list.

They're all sugar, but the food industry allows different names based on source or impurities.  If your bread only contains half a gram of sugar, but half a gram of five other hidden sugar items, that's six grams they're trying to sneak past you.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Mira

• Pope
    • Houserule Gaming
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »
Organic sugar
Cane sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup
Evaporated cane juice
Fructose
Fruit extract
Crystalline fructose
High-fructose corn syrup
Invert sugar
Liquid Invert Sugar
Malt syrup
Molasses
Raw sugar
Sugar Alcohol

This is what I have an issue with.  Especially when they're worded to avoid calling them 'sugar'.  Because food ingredients must be listed in order of percentage, a common tactic in food production is to break up an undesirable additive - such as fillers - into several ingredient names, of each of which there are less than the more desirable components, and therefore can be included further down the list.

They're all sugar, but the food industry allows different names based on source or impurities.  If your bread only contains half a gram of sugar, but half a gram of five other hidden sugar items, that's six grams they're trying to sneak past you.

So? It still tells you how many grams of sugar total are in the product. Look at the carbohydrates in the DV% section for goodness sake!

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2012, 03:56:58 pm »
There is also the issue of when somebody has an allergy to, say, cane sugar and not to the others. Listing different chemical compounds as the same thing can lead to some very real issues. And Mira is right that if you look underneath the number of grams of carbohydrates you see the total amount of sugar in the food (kind of like how if you look under fat you see how much is trans fat or saturated fat).

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2012, 04:01:28 pm »
I admit you're right about the allergy thing.
Still, 'carbohydrates' covers a wide range, from forms of fiber to complex carbs, starches, and sugars.  Some are good for you, others are really bad.
And even if there are good reasons for the naming convention,  the food companies are still using that to their advantage to add more sugar to their products than is necessary.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Mira

• Pope
    • Houserule Gaming
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2012, 04:13:24 pm »
I admit you're right about the allergy thing.
Still, 'carbohydrates' covers a wide range, from forms of fiber to complex carbs, starches, and sugars.  Some are good for you, others are really bad.
And even if there are good reasons for the naming convention,  the food companies are still using that to their advantage to add more sugar to their products than is necessary.

It is a carbohydrates section. It tells you how many grams of sugar are in there. Take a look at a label.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2012, 04:14:40 pm »
Here is an example:

Of 17 grams of carbs, 13 of them are sugars. Problem solved.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »
Yes, but I still hear the old "don't buy it if one of the first 3 ingredients is sugar" rule.  Which doesn't work as well if you are only looking for a single 5-letter word starting with "S."

Still better than nothing, though.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!