Author Topic: Memo to Journalists: Can the Phony Outrage, Bernie is Right About Bias  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Memo to Journalists: Can the Phony Outrage, Bernie is Right About Bias
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 02:52:55 am »
Everyone has their biases. The idea that the press should be totally free of all possible biases would require reporters and article writers to be robots.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:50:13 pm »
Everyone has their biases. The idea that the press should be totally free of all possible biases would require reporters and article writers to be robots.

True. But the least that can be expected, I think, is for reporters and columnists and the like to be self-critical about their biases and up-front about them.

Like I said, he's horrible in many, many respects, but at least Sean Hannity is honest about being a Trump stooge.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 10:30:42 pm »
So do reporters and columnists need to say who and what they are now, and where they identify politically before making any report or column?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 02:00:40 am »
So do reporters and columnists need to say who and what they are now, and where they identify politically before making any report or column?

When it comes to political reporting (never mind political editorializing), for myself, I'm more likely to take a report or column seriously the more up-front the writer is about their bias. Acting like they're not biased (as too many do) is bullshit.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 03:32:54 am »
So instead of taking people's biases as an innate part of who and what they are, you want everyone to attach ideology disclaimers to everything to such detail as "I'm a Democrat who does not support Bernie Sanders" or something like that?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 11:15:43 am »
So instead of taking people's biases as an innate part of who and what they are, you want everyone to attach ideology disclaimers to everything to such detail as "I'm a Democrat who does not support Bernie Sanders" or something like that?

Of course a person's biases are an innate part of who and what they are. Just that a lot of people--and it's especially evident in the media--aren't self-critical enough to recognize those biases and consider how those biases affect their coverage of various events.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 01:06:22 am »

Of course a person's biases are an innate part of who and what they are. Just that a lot of people--and it's especially evident in the media--aren't self-critical enough to recognize those biases and consider how those biases affect their coverage of various events.

Especially the ones that get incredibly offended when other people notice and point out their biases, and then scream about how its all Bernard Brother lies by Russians or w/e.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 01:39:03 am »
And how are they supposed to "recognize their own biases and consider how they affect their coverage"?

What are they supposed to do about it? Answer me that.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 09:48:18 am »
And how are they supposed to "recognize their own biases and consider how they affect their coverage"?

What are they supposed to do about it? Answer me that.

Well, first, they could go back and watch their own segments and possibly notice that, say, when single-payer health insurance comes up, they ask, "How are you going to pay for that?" but not when, say, invading other countries comes up.

They could also seek out criticism of their segments and consider whether their critics might have a point.

EDIT:

Don't tell me there's no media bias against Bernie Sanders, especially considering that he's well ahead in polling of all but two of those candidates (Biden and Warren being ahead of him).

EDIT #2: And notice that Andrew Yang (per RCP, 7th overall and T7th in Iowa) is left out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:27:25 pm by dpareja »