Author Topic: Today in history...  (Read 13564 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Today in history...
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:27:55 pm »
The rules of this game are simple. Take the current date and post something significant that happened on it sometime in the past and make a funny or snarky comment about it. I'll start.

Today in 1938, the electric television was patented. And thus, human civilization was doomed. DOOOOOOMED!
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Today in history...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:46:21 pm »
Today in 1862 the Battle Of Stone River occurred I know what else was in the river that dropped like stones.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »
The Gadsden Purchase in 1853.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:56 am »
Today in history Tony Romo CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKED like a bitch helping secure the Redskins the NFC East Championship for the first time since 1999.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:33:04 am by ironbite »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:25:24 am »
It was New Years Eve not just in 1997, but 1985 and 1962 as well, among other years. Who'd have thought?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 03:31:20 am »
Ottawa became the capital of Canada, 1857.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:02:24 am »

I love that there's no snarky comment here. Like, "Canada, ha ha! Man, that's hilarious all by itself!"
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 05:05:33 am »

I love that there's no snarky comment here. Like, "Canada, ha ha! Man, that's hilarious all by itself!"

Well, that was the colony of Canada. Ten years later they'd wreck it by adding New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and they'd keep on ruining it by adding more and more provinces. Really, all they needed was Ontario and Quebec.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 05:46:57 am »
Boris Yeltsin resigned as president of Russia on this day in 1999, thus dealing a near fatal blow to the vodka industry.

Also, Bonnie Prince Charlie would have been 292 years old today, if only he'd looked after himself a little better.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 05:37:18 am »

You die now.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:59:23 am »

LOL! Everyone missed the joke. The capitol of Canada is Toronto.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:29 am »
...and New York's the Capital of America - Washington's just a state...

Today in 1816, Davy tested his Davy lamp... The mesh gauze surrounding the naked flame prevented methane outside igniting in an explosion, vastly increasing coal mine safety for 10 yr old boys and pit ponies - both of which could now reasonably expect to live until the ripe old age of 15, whereupon they were too old and knackered and were put out for pasture or sent to the glue factory. The ponies were eaten.

Davy went on to become the Godfather of global warming and is best known for starting a locker club with Mother Jones.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:22:22 am by Julian »

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:30:03 am »
This day today in 1991, Representatives from the United States and Iraq met at the Geneva Peace Conference to try to find a peaceful resolution to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. April Glaspie almost kept a straight face during procedings when feigning mock surprise and indignation that Saddam would do such a thing. The highway of death was not mentioned.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:49 am »
1861, Mississippi secedes from the Union.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 12:19:54 pm »
On this day in 2007 Stve Jobs unveils the iPhone which causes mass boners of nerds everywhere.