Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606498 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #1140 on: May 06, 2013, 04:11:01 pm »
Didn't Chris Rock have a bit about the most racist guy at work being an elderly black man?

Yup.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3U4-mv5_08" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3U4-mv5_08</a>
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #1141 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:28 pm »
For everyone sick of Social Justice idiots complaining about privilege:

*twitch*

Uuuuugggghhh...
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

QueenofHearts

« Reply #1142 on: May 06, 2013, 05:05:02 pm »

-image-

I had dinner a little over a month ago with Diane Moore, a professor in ethics & devinity from Harvard, and she defined privilege really well. She said "Priviliege is the privilege to ignore injustice." We can all sit here and look at a photo of a white straight man who has it rough, and of course many do, but it doesn't do any good to ignore that various other groups in the aggregate have it worse off because they are black, or gay, or female. Of course there are homeless white men. However, let's not ignore that minorities, both racial and sexual, are for more likely to be homeless than the general population. Let's not ignore that we have people making rape apologies yet not apologies for male victims or other crimes. If we really are aiming for some sort of equality, then addressing underlying bigotries which cause these discrepancies is the first place to start.

Likewise, just because a few SJW's have poisoned the term does not mean that it isn't a very real thing.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #1143 on: May 06, 2013, 05:34:30 pm »
Likewise, just because a few SJW's have poisoned the term does not mean that it isn't a very real thing.
This
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Ottery

• Neonate
  • Rada rada rada
    • I have a tumblr
« Reply #1144 on: May 06, 2013, 06:06:11 pm »
This

Exactly. Many trans homeless are turned away from homeless shelters, and god forbid some drunk asshole finds out that you don't fit their definition of "male" or "female". You will almost always get killed. If you manage to defend yourself? The police will arrest you but not the fuckface that started the fight in the first place.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #1145 on: May 06, 2013, 06:07:58 pm »

-image-

I had dinner a little over a month ago with Diane Moore, a professor in ethics & devinity from Harvard, and she defined privilege really well. She said "Priviliege is the privilege to ignore injustice." We can all sit here and look at a photo of a white straight man who has it rough, and of course many do, but it doesn't do any good to ignore that various other groups in the aggregate have it worse off because they are black, or gay, or female. Of course there are homeless white men. However, let's not ignore that minorities, both racial and sexual, are for more likely to be homeless than the general population. Let's not ignore that we have people making rape apologies yet not apologies for male victims or other crimes. If we really are aiming for some sort of equality, then addressing underlying bigotries which cause these discrepancies is the first place to start.

I don't think anyone's debating that, at least not here anyways, and I totally agree with that.  I just think it's annoying when people automatically assume that just because I'm a cis white straight guy that my life is automatically all sunshine and rainbows.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #1146 on: May 06, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1147 on: May 06, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »
Sigh I really do give up
and Atlas Shrugged sure made him shrug.  Seriously the book weighs a ton

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #1148 on: May 06, 2013, 08:47:31 pm »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #1149 on: May 06, 2013, 09:07:37 pm »
Racism is a system of economic discrimination against people of a particular ethnicity and the ideas enforcing that system. It's almost impossible for an ethnic minority to be racist unless they're mercenary.

Basically conservatives are saying "Would that the world treated everyone equally, but if you do anything to achieve that, you're a racist". Well, fuck you. Bet you didn't think of that, did you?

Actually, racism is the idea that certain races are somehow inherently superior or inferior to others. You see this in the stereotypes that all blacks are either athletic or lazy, that all Asians are good at math but terrible drivers, and yes, in the idea that it's impossible for minorities to be racist.

Now, racism in attitude has often led to economic racism, even today, but that doesn't mean "racism=inflicted economic disadvantage". Having spent time in prison, I can tell you categorically that stereotyping and assumptions of superiority or inferiority are FAR from limited to whites.

No, racism is basically structural. The ideas are very much secondary to the economics. How do I know? Racism is actually modern. It is not the case that racism is human nature. When, in around the 15th century, racism became economically vital for Europe (colonialism, ect) of course ideas arose to justify that.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #1150 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »
Racism is a system of economic discrimination against people of a particular ethnicity and the ideas enforcing that system. It's almost impossible for an ethnic minority to be racist unless they're mercenary.

Basically conservatives are saying "Would that the world treated everyone equally, but if you do anything to achieve that, you're a racist". Well, fuck you. Bet you didn't think of that, did you?

Actually, racism is the idea that certain races are somehow inherently superior or inferior to others. You see this in the stereotypes that all blacks are either athletic or lazy, that all Asians are good at math but terrible drivers, and yes, in the idea that it's impossible for minorities to be racist.

Now, racism in attitude has often led to economic racism, even today, but that doesn't mean "racism=inflicted economic disadvantage". Having spent time in prison, I can tell you categorically that stereotyping and assumptions of superiority or inferiority are FAR from limited to whites.

No, racism is basically structural. The ideas are very much secondary to the economics. How do I know? Racism is actually modern. It is not the case that racism is human nature. When, in around the 15th century, racism became economically vital for Europe (colonialism, ect) of course ideas arose to justify that.

When did I ever make the claim that racism was human nature? It's human nature to (generally) be most comfortable with those who are most obviously like ourselves, but "comfort" doesn't equal "superiority."

As for your economic argument, that's very much a chicken-and-egg proposition. After all, what defines a race? There have been times in the past when the English would describe the Irish in ways that wouldn't be at all out of place in a modern KKK rant about black people. Chattel slavery as we saw practiced by Europeans enslaving Africans is a relatively recent phenomenon in world history (at least, to my knowledge), but the idea that we should be wary and distrustful of people who are visibly unlike ourselves is FAR from new. Chinese and Japanese culture still have strong undercurrents of racism against anyone who isn't "one of us", and the caste system of India was originally set up partly along ethnic lines, with darker-skinned ethnic groups being relegated to lower castes. The Old Testament even gives instructions that the ancient Jews not intermarry with other tribes; at that time, ideas that we would label "racism" and "tribalism" were almost completely interchangeable, because, as you pointed out, the concept of "race" being defined by skin color wasn't around yet.

Even allowing, for the sake of the thought experiment, that your proposition may be true...how, exactly, does that make it "not-racism" for a black person to say "all white people are racist" or "white people in general are greedier than other races"...both things I've had said to my face? How does it make their attitudes any less wrong? And if their attitudes AREN'T a form of racism, what would you call it?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #1151 on: May 07, 2013, 01:29:09 am »

Oh for Gad's sake, it's not a contest, people!
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #1152 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:48 am »
Whether racism - or tribalism, originally - is innate or indoctrinated with humans, certainly "Kick 'em while their down"....is...too common a reflex :-[
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #1153 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:06 pm »
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #1154 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:06 pm »
I am really 9000% done with this idea that all social justice blogs are run by fucking whackjobs. Most of them are actually pretty good and I think most members of this forum would like the statistics they bring up.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.