Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606550 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #1395 on: July 13, 2013, 11:08:23 pm »

Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1396 on: July 13, 2013, 11:22:24 pm »
I wonder, if a straight man was raped by a gay guy, would people be screaming "LOL THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR WEARING A THREE PIECE SUIT"?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1397 on: July 13, 2013, 11:27:52 pm »
I wonder, if a straight man was raped by a gay guy, would people be screaming "LOL THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR WEARING A THREE PIECE SUIT"?

Men can't be raped, silly.

Ugh I think I need to wash my hands and keyboard.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1398 on: July 14, 2013, 10:28:52 am »
And your mind.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #1399 on: July 14, 2013, 01:51:32 pm »

In all fairness, the entire 'does this mean we get to hit women now?' is actually 'does this mean we are allowed to hit back now?' because males are (were?) traditionally raised to never hit a female and some females exploit it to their advantage by acting in ways that would not be tolerated if they did not enjoy this protection.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1400 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:36 am »

In all fairness, the entire 'does this mean we get to hit women now?' is actually 'does this mean we are allowed to hit back now?' because males are (were?) traditionally raised to never hit a female and some females exploit it to their advantage by acting in ways that would not be tolerated if they did not enjoy this protection.

One of the lessons I'm happy my dad taught me.  Refrain from hitting ANYONE, if you can.  But, sometimes, you can't, and its best to defend yourself when accosted, doesn't matter who's doing it to you or what gear they might be packing under their belts.  They hit first, you're within your rights to hit back, within reason.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #1401 on: July 15, 2013, 02:05:40 pm »
Personally I think if you hit someone then you should expect to get hit back, regardless of who you are or who you hit.  Not that hitting back is always the right thing to do, it depends on the situation, but if you don't want to get hit then how about you don't hit anyone first.  And also, try not being a dick to people.  It's not a guaranteed way to avoid being thumped but it is a start.

wrightway

« Reply #1402 on: July 15, 2013, 04:02:13 pm »
I slapped my ex twice during our relationship. Once when he had me by the hair and another when he had me pinned to the wall by my throat. Both times the shock was enough for me to wiggle away, and put some sense in his head. By the logic a lot of people use he would have been justified in hitting me because technically I hit first.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #1403 on: July 15, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »
I slapped my ex twice during our relationship. Once when he had me by the hair and another when he had me pinned to the wall by my throat. Both times the shock was enough for me to wiggle away, and put some sense in his head. By the logic a lot of people use he would have been justified in hitting me because technically I hit first.

Life doesn't run on technicalities. If he got violent with you first, whether that took the form of hitting, grabbing or grappling, he shouldn't have been surprised when you defended yourself.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #1404 on: July 15, 2013, 10:39:04 pm »

If you're going my a completely strict definition of hit, in which only a quick strike counts, then yes. However, if we're using the "my *insert close loved one here* hits me" colloquial standard, I should think that holding you involuntarily by the hair or throat would count as the first move. What is meant by "you can hit back, regardless of gender" is "you can meet force with force in order to defend yourself, regardless of gender". Because by your same technicality, an abused man wouldn't be able to defend if his wife claws at him, throws things at him, chokes him, etc...because she didn't punch, kick, knee, elbow, slap, or headbutt.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #1405 on: July 15, 2013, 10:59:25 pm »

If you're going my a completely strict definition of hit, in which only a quick strike counts, then yes. However, if we're using the "my *insert close loved one here* hits me" colloquial standard, I should think that holding you involuntarily by the hair or throat would count as the first move. What is meant by "you can hit back, regardless of gender" is "you can meet force with force in order to defend yourself, regardless of gender". Because by your same technicality, an abused man wouldn't be able to defend if his wife claws at him, throws things at him, chokes him, etc...because she didn't punch, kick, knee, elbow, slap, or headbutt.

Is anyone has a problem hitting someone, then follow the advice that I remember coming from some cartoon I once watched, "My pa taught me to never hit a girl, but he never said nuthin' 'bout bear hugs."
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

wrightway

« Reply #1406 on: July 15, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »
This appears to be a Midwestern problem (I was going to say an Ohio problem but I've heard Michiganders use this logic too). Grappling with a woman, pulling her hair, pinning her in place, etc is viewed as okay as long as the strict definition of hit didn't come into play. A lot of people (including some in an abuse group) have told me that I can't call him physically abusive because he did not actually hit me. Hell, half the time I think that way. I catch myself justifying his actions because I can be difficult and he never actually struck me. In the same vein I've been told I could have been charged with domestic violence because I crossed "the line" for what's self defense and what's not.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #1407 on: July 15, 2013, 11:30:54 pm »
This appears to be a Midwestern problem (I was going to say an Ohio problem but I've heard Michiganders use this logic too). Grappling with a woman, pulling her hair, pinning her in place, etc is viewed as okay as long as the strict definition of hit didn't come into play. A lot of people (including some in an abuse group) have told me that I can't call him physically abusive because he did not actually hit me. Hell, half the time I think that way. I catch myself justifying his actions because I can be difficult and he never actually struck me. In the same vein I've been told I could have been charged with domestic violence because I crossed "the line" for what's self defense and what's not.

Holy shit, seriously? That's insane! I just can't wrap my mind around what a huge double-standard that is!

wrightway

« Reply #1408 on: July 15, 2013, 11:48:31 pm »

Holy shit, seriously? That's insane! I just can't wrap my mind around what a huge double-standard that is!

It's why I talk about this stuff so much. It's ingrained in the culture where I live and grew up. If I don't remind myself that it's a horrible custom that's held over by how many fundie churches we have I will slip back into accepting the blame. It goes hand and hand with the slut shaming culture that gave us the Stuebenville rapists. Midwesterners accept the double standards and the behavior it spawns as par for the course.

Fuck, I've made myself sad. Could someone please find a good example of social justice now?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1409 on: July 16, 2013, 12:18:14 am »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!