Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606307 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2010 on: May 05, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »
Religious people get all bent out of shape about any criticism of their beliefs and they assume it's a personal criticism.

If someone told me they were abducted by UFOs, they would fully expect that belief to be ridiculed. The same should apply with religious claims.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2011 on: May 05, 2014, 02:21:12 pm »
Religious people get all bent out of shape about any criticism of their beliefs and they assume it's a personal criticism.

That's quite the broad brush you have there, buddy.

Say, don't you get bent out of shape whenever anyone points out the problems with Dawkins or r/atheism?

Oh right, I'm not allowed to criticize you on this because it's "projection".  Somehow.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2012 on: May 05, 2014, 02:49:01 pm »
People who make it personal, like calling a believer an idiot, are stupidly rude.

It's just a civilized, social norm to be polite enough to not make harshly worded criticisms of their beliefs, and to respect that people have a right to defend their own personal opinions and beliefs.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2013 on: May 05, 2014, 02:49:45 pm »
People who make it personal, like calling a believer an idiot, are stupidly rude.

It's just a civilized, social norm to be polite enough to not make harshly worded criticisms of their beliefs, and to respect that people a right to have and defend their own personal opinions and beliefs.

Pretty much this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2014 on: May 05, 2014, 08:36:17 pm »
You have a right to believe, I have a right to not believe, and we both have the right to criticize one another.  We do not, however, have the right to not be offended.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2015 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:21 pm »
You have a right to believe, I have a right to not believe, and we both have the right to criticize one another.  We do not, however, have the right to not be offended.

On the other hand, going out of your way to offend people is kind of a dick move.  You have a right to it, but it's still a bad thing.

(Not that I'm saying YOU'RE doing it, just "you" in general)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2016 on: May 06, 2014, 11:07:08 am »

On the other hand, going out of your way to offend people is kind of a dick move.  You have a right to it, but it's still a bad thing.

(Not that I'm saying YOU'RE doing it, just "you" in general)

I only do it occasionally, lol.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2017 on: May 06, 2014, 11:59:16 am »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2018 on: May 06, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »
While not a protest sign itself, this could easily be made in to one by puting a caption at the bottom that just says, "Really guys?"

According to the page I found this on it is "Keywords monitored on Social Networking Sites by the Dept. of Homeland Security from page 20 - 21 of the operational manual , section 2.13. Keywords & Search Terms".

I found it on the chemistry forum "Sciencemadness.org" in the thread http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=19989. Just the first page of threads in their "Legal and Societal Issues" sub-board makes it sound like anyone with a slight interest in chemistry or science is branded a terrorist and monitered by all kinds of agencies.

The funny part is I think almost everyone uses at least a couple of the words listed every day, considering some are so vague. If you're playing video games you probably end up using many more. When talking with my friends once about the NSA monitoring video games like WoW and such I said something to the effect of "If they tried to make an automated monitoring system for GTA V voice chat, the second the computer turned on it would overload and burst in to flames."

This shit is ridiculous. It's like the person writing the list was actively trying to be as stupid about it as possible while still getting it in he manual.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #2019 on: May 06, 2014, 11:57:22 pm »
That looks like a translated keyword list lifted from East Germany in the eighties.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stasi-talks-about-nsa-surveillance-state-2013-6#!J0FoQ

I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2020 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:40 am »
That looks like a translated keyword list lifted from East Germany in the eighties.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stasi-talks-about-nsa-surveillance-state-2013-6#!J0FoQ

The first comment on that made me laugh.

"Computers and networks enable surveillance, but they also enable the mutation of culture at a faster rate. The snoops can't keep up because they can't tell what's relevant. Can you imagine the meeting over whether Cheezburger is a site that needs to be monitored? Can you imagine the brass hats even trying to understand what a meme is and how it functions?"

I remember someone once comparing the internet to Cthulhu. Keep in mind that when you try to look at the entire internet, it's like looking at the entirety of Cthulhu. Seriously, think about what having to analyze the deepest, darkest parts of the internet will do to someone's mind.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2021 on: May 07, 2014, 08:14:52 am »
Speaking of which, hey, NSA. How are you, Phil?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2022 on: May 07, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »
We lost Phil last week.  Now it's Bridget.

Ironbite-she's a nice girl.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2023 on: May 07, 2014, 06:57:25 pm »
When me and my friends are playing GTA V and say something that would incredibly suspicious out of context and would likely set of an automated keyword monitor, I'll pretend to start talking to the guy who's spying on us. We named him Bob.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #2024 on: May 07, 2014, 06:58:46 pm »
We named him Bob.

As in, Bob's yer Uncle...Sam.