Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606200 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2265 on: August 21, 2014, 02:08:04 am »
I never liked that Ben Franklin quote.  What's so bad about preferring safety to freedom?  Isn't it kind of contradictory to say you have to pick freedom over safety or you don't deserve either?  "Everyone should be free to pick what they want, but you have to pick what I want you to pick."  Yeah yeah I know that plenty of people make up threats to justify limiting others freedom, but if a genuine conflict does exist there's nothing wrong with saying "I'd rather be alive then free."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2266 on: August 21, 2014, 04:04:36 am »
Am I seeing a different picture or did you guys understand the picture from Cataclysm completely differently?

That is basically a parody of what the Libertards are saying. They complain about any power the goverment has (taxation=slavery claim is something that really makes me furious) but would allow corporations to have the same powers.

They want companies to be allowed to exploit workers (because if you work for company X then you should obey their rules or hit the road) and have total freedom from laws (some make exception for property laws or something I think) but bitch when goverments have any power over companies (because if you put your company in country X then you should obey their laws or hit the road or face punishment.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2267 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:21 pm »
I never liked that Ben Franklin quote.  What's so bad about preferring safety to freedom?  Isn't it kind of contradictory to say you have to pick freedom over safety or you don't deserve either?  "Everyone should be free to pick what they want, but you have to pick what I want you to pick."  Yeah yeah I know that plenty of people make up threats to justify limiting others freedom, but if a genuine conflict does exist there's nothing wrong with saying "I'd rather be alive then free."

Worth noting: the original quote is "essential liberty for a little temporary safety". The qualifiers are important.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2268 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:32 am »
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2269 on: August 22, 2014, 01:02:24 am »
(click to show/hide)

Just one of many reasons I've been wanting to move to Northern Europe for a while now. Would our resident Finn care to disillusion me of the no-doubt rose-colored view I currently have?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2270 on: August 22, 2014, 02:37:23 am »
(click to show/hide)

Just one of many reasons I've been wanting to move to Northern Europe for a while now. Would our resident Finn care to disillusion me of the no-doubt rose-colored view I currently have?

I don't know about you but from what I have seen the only reason not to live in the nordic countries is because they are covered in ice all the time. but from what I know, they are superior in every social regard. Although like most socially powerful countries they take a rather dim view on immigrants. But who knows, if you are at least the right colour you might not even get straightforward racism against you.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #2271 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:38 am »
Am I seeing a different picture or did you guys understand the picture from Cataclysm completely differently?

That is basically a parody of what the Libertards are saying. They complain about any power the goverment has (taxation=slavery claim is something that really makes me furious) but would allow corporations to have the same powers.

They want companies to be allowed to exploit workers (because if you work for company X then you should obey their rules or hit the road) and have total freedom from laws (some make exception for property laws or something I think) but bitch when goverments have any power over companies (because if you put your company in country X then you should obey their laws or hit the road or face punishment.)

INCOMING PRETENSION! BRACE FOR COVER!

While the man-god worshipers in the party may think that, the ones like me have little to no opposition to regulation. After all, the free market hallowed be it's name needs to policed in order to keep it fair for everyone.

Thus, I have no opposition as a Libertarian philosophe to regulation.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2272 on: August 22, 2014, 04:01:41 am »

While the man-god worshipers in the party may think that, the ones like me have little to no opposition to regulation. After all, the free market hallowed be it's name needs to policed in order to keep it fair for everyone.

#NotAllLibertarians
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #2273 on: August 22, 2014, 04:09:13 am »

#NotAllLibertarians

Says the one who has to pay taxes to the Protestants every quarter.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2274 on: August 22, 2014, 04:24:17 am »

#NotAllLibertarians

Says the one who has to pay taxes to the Protestants every quarter.

You only have to pay that tax if you are a member of the Lutheran church, my wife for example is a wiccan so she does not have pay that tax, so it is a voluntary tax.

Hah!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2275 on: August 22, 2014, 04:58:05 am »

I don't know about you but from what I have seen the only reason not to live in the nordic countries is because they are covered in ice all the time.

So what exactly is the bad part?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #2276 on: August 22, 2014, 05:14:47 am »
Seriously. At least its consistent year-round. Unlike Georgia, where in the summer its 90°F+ every day, and so humid I'm suprised people aren't drowning on the air, but it gets down to the low 20s in the winter on a semi-regular basis. And its still humid.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2277 on: August 22, 2014, 05:56:44 am »
(click to show/hide)

Lets see...

-Finns may seem distant and rude due to small talk not being customary here.

-Food is rather expensive when compared to other EU countries.

-There are silly laws against the sale of alcoholic beverages from distilleries which means that small breweries are not allowed to sell most of their own products and they need to be sold through other companies. (We are trying to change this)

-There aren't that many REALLY old buildings. We used to make most buildings out of wood so the only old ones that have remained are mainly churches or the few castles we have. (since those were more commonly built from stone.)

-The newer buildings in cities are ugly gray blocks straight from East Germany.

-Our gun laws are really strict. You actually need a license for all functional firearms (apart from black powder firearms that were built before 1860 I think? And that is ONLY if you promise not to fire the gun and it is just a memento. If you want to use it you need a license) and to get a license you need to pass a doctors exam to prove that you aren't mentally unstable AND need to prove an acceptable reason for owning that firearm. Repeat the process for every single gun and prepare to prove that you have been using those guns frequently.

-Alcoholism and depression are quite common.

-At some point our MAJESTIC LAKES and CLEAN ENVIROMENT begin to seem so normal that you start to take them as granted.

-We believe that we are overburdened by bureucracy if we haven't tried to live in Germany.

-Finland is the only Nordic country that has not legalized same-sex marriage yet.

-We cook our meat rather than eat it raw. (This seems to be a sign of HERESY to the yankees.)

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2278 on: August 22, 2014, 05:59:04 am »
Seriously. At least its consistent year-round. Unlike Georgia, where in the summer its 90°F+ every day, and so humid I'm suprised people aren't drowning on the air, but it gets down to the low 20s in the winter on a semi-regular basis. And its still humid.
...Umm no.

Finland can have temperatures as high as +30°C during summer or as low as  -30°C per winter. The temperature variation is really big.

Which is a good thing in my mind. We actually get four separate seasons rather than "slightly warmer vs sligthly colder" or "warm and dry vs warm and rainy" etc.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2279 on: August 22, 2014, 06:04:50 am »
...Umm no.

Finland can have temperatures as high as +30°C during summer or as low as  -30°C per winter. The temperature variation is really big.

Which is a good thing in my mind. We actually get four separate seasons rather than "slightly warmer vs sligthly colder" or "warm and dry vs warm and rainy" etc.

If you want mild but can rain any time of year, try the UK. We're not as cool as the nordic countries but we still look at the US and think you're bloody mad on how you treat your citizens.