Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606778 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2520 on: February 23, 2015, 09:17:07 pm »
Well...until we drove him off about sugar.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2521 on: February 23, 2015, 09:27:05 pm »
Well...until we drove him off about sugar.

I dunno about anyone else, but I was mostly on his ass for being a complete dick with the way he presented his argument.  There's a difference between pointing out facts and being a pompous douche about it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2522 on: March 09, 2015, 02:38:15 am »

Meanwhile in the comment section half the people are bragging over how they are doing perfectly fine since they WORK FOR A LIVING rather than whine about needing "handouts" to survive and how "lions don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #2523 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:34 am »

Meanwhile in the comment section half the people are bragging over how they are doing perfectly fine since they WORK FOR A LIVING rather than whine about needing "handouts" to survive and how "lions don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep."

Do they not realize that minimum wage counts as work?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2524 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:35 am »

That's somewhere between a very creative interpretation of "afford" and a lie, actually. This is a more complete analysis, but the basic idea is that, for the purposes of that statistic, "afford" is defined as "be able to pay for rent using no more than 30% of your income". And it only counts one person's earnings when you're talking about a two-bedroom apartment. And it assumes average prices, while someone on minimum wage would be renting something on the lower end of the scale.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2525 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:06 am »

Well, obviously they would need to have TWO jobs or should move in with someone or something.

That's somewhere between a very creative interpretation of "afford" and a lie, actually. This is a more complete analysis, but the basic idea is that, for the purposes of that statistic, "afford" is defined as "be able to pay for rent using no more than 30% of your income". And it only counts one person's earnings when you're talking about a two-bedroom apartment. And it assumes average prices, while someone on minimum wage would be renting something on the lower end of the scale.
Ah, didn't know that. Still, it means that single parent can't afford a sizeable apartment.

...That reminds me that a buddies of mine can't get a loan for an apartment because according to the calculations the banks use they can't afford to pay it back, despite currently being able to pay even more money for the rental apartment they have... The banker tried to explain that they can't afford their current lifestyle and when proven wrong simply explained that they can't give the loan because they computer program disagrees with the reality.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2526 on: March 09, 2015, 09:54:36 am »
This is Lexi, dude.  I remind you that this is a kid who thought keeping himself from going into puberty (or further into it, I forget which) was a good idea.  Motherfucker's got a skull so thick it could be considered battleship plating.

When and where was this? How do you even go about doing such a thing, and why?

It was amongst his first posts on the old Proboards forum, when he was known as Lexikon.  If memory serves, he basically wanted to use hormone blockers to stop his voice from becoming deeper, body hair from growing, and other such things oft associated with the advancement of puberty.  Basically everyone told him that was a critically fucked up idea unless he was transgender (which I don't believe he is) and his posts on that topic, from then on, were basically "BUT, LEG HAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRR!," only with his trademark overly pompous, quasi-intellectual tone.

So he stunted his own growth?  Well, that explains a lot.

A guy on this board tried to become a literal Peter Pan and stop growing up? That's....odd....to say the least.

To Mr. Cataclysm; Sorry, my friend but as much as you'd love to preserve the magic & wonder of childhood, I'm afraid, you'll have to grow up like the rest of us.

Well, obviously they would need to have TWO jobs or should move in with someone or something.

Ah, didn't know that. Still, it means that single parent can't afford a sizeable apartment.

...That reminds me that a buddies of mine can't get a loan for an apartment because according to the calculations the banks use they can't afford to pay it back, despite currently being able to pay even more money for the rental apartment they have... The banker tried to explain that they can't afford their current lifestyle and when proven wrong simply explained that they can't give the loan because they computer program disagrees with the reality.

GAH! It's like they don't want people to own homes!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:59:39 am by Barbarella »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2527 on: March 09, 2015, 03:38:18 pm »

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2528 on: March 09, 2015, 06:07:24 pm »

GAH! It's like they don't want people to own homes!

They don't. How else would they keep collecting rent?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2529 on: March 09, 2015, 07:29:12 pm »
But presumably most banks don't get money from renting apartments, and do get money from people taking out loans?
Σא

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2530 on: March 09, 2015, 09:15:26 pm »
Those two guys should switch to another bank.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2531 on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:33 am »
But presumably most banks don't get money from renting apartments, and do get money from people taking out loans?

This is true.  However, apartments may have their own, far larger debts from which the banks get more money.  Also, homes can end up being paid off, apartment rent is constant.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2532 on: March 10, 2015, 10:03:44 am »

This is true.  However, apartments may have their own, far larger debts from which the banks get more money.  Also, homes can end up being paid off, apartment rent is constant.

Finland has a slightly different system than USA. It is just that the banks are overcautious in giving loans, beacuse no one wins if the customer can't pay back the loan. (And the market is bad enough already without driving people into bankruptcy just for pennies.)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2533 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:33 am »
Askold, that ain't a slight difference, that's a god damned chasm.  Here in Eagleland, you'd be lucky if the bank decides to lube up before violently fucking you as hard as they can.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2534 on: March 10, 2015, 12:38:09 pm »
(Working mothers vs stay at home mom's crap that Cata was displaying ignorance on) The only other person on this board I would really like to hear from now is Mrs. Rookie. Prepare for legitimate righteous indignation from her.

Sorry. I missed this whole thread due to getting caught up in a few bottles of white wine and a particularly captivating story line from General Hospital. Let me tell you, the girls and I had much to talk about while getting our hair done!

OK, so while I'm not exactly a stay at home dad, I work at night and raise the kids during the day. I could be making much more money, but not really. See, the big money not being made by me is also not bbeing spent. Child care is expensive here in the US. I'm looking at close to $700 a week for my 5 still not in school yet plus after school care for the other 3. I'm able to spend the day raising them. Plus I'm able to do various homeowner fixes to the house. So far this winter I've been able to fix 3 broken pipes and a couple windows. I would have had to hire a contractor or limit myself to weekend projects. For shits and grins I got an estimate to fix one of the pipes, the leaking wastewater pipe. $900. I was able to fix it for a little less than $120. Because I had the time.

2 hours of chores. Ok.  So you're going to compare me to some jack ass slacker at your office. Without knowing my work ethic or what it is I actually do, you're going to put my work duties as laundry, dusting, sweeping (or vacuuming if there's carpeting), windexing, cooking, and general straightening up. It's that about right, did I miss anything? Ok. To just maintain, to do enough to not get fired, you're probably right. But who the hell wants that? And for you to assume that's it (based on your 2 hours a day, that's what you're assuming) is more than a little insulting. And it's an insult based on ignorance.

Now it's about time we think of the children. I am raising them. Their dad is raising them during the day. And their mom at night. What prove tag would you put on that? My kids, all 8, of them I know. I mean I really know them. I'm able to take an active part in their lives. These kids are confident well adjusted individuals. These are not latch key kids. My daughters know, without question they KNOW, that Daddy and Mommy love them. The self respect they have blows away any from someone coming from a more traditional house where patents leave in the morning and come back in the evening.

Oh. And since I'm able to cook for my family (or show off as Mrs. Rookie would say), I'll put a mortgage payment that they not only eat tastier food, but healthier as well. In a nation that's getting more obese by the day, I'm able to feed them good food. In my stay at home dad house, we understand the microwave is for heating food, not cooking.

MellORL, I know you said you want to hear from Mrs. Rookie. I'm sorry. She's at work now. She works 9 hours a day and is kinda tired at the end of it. Well, about as tired as any office worker who comes home at the end of the day. It's killing her that she's not at home with the kids, but in 2008 I lost my job and she didn't. That's how the cards fell, that's the hand we're playing. Something else I bet you didn't think of, Cata. So she comes home, does any straightening up left plus dishes from supper. She plays with the kids for like an hour, then gets them ready for bed. And I'm not going to see her til Thursday, my next day off.

Hey Cata, are you a conservative by chance? I ask because you brought up that unless the family is some quiverfull fuckwit, blah blah blah. I ask because it's been my experience that is only small government conservatives that concern themselves about the choices that families make like this.

ETA: I'm very proud of what it is I do during the day. I'm proud and I'm very happy, consider myself lucky for the ability to do this. Self sufficiency has been an obsession of mine for a long time. If you think is better to pawn off your primary responsibility, fine. I disagree. But I'll give your choices the exact same level of respect you're showing me for mine. That's fair, right?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:49:50 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.