Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606881 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2685 on: September 01, 2015, 05:10:10 pm »
...I do wonder though. If two very drunk people have sex, which one is the rapist?

If persons A and B are drunk and A says no to sex but B forces themselves onto A then B is a rapist even though they were drunk.

If both A and B said yes to sex because they were so drunk but regret it later... That gets more difficult and I think it would be fair to say that both are equally to blame for a stupid decision.

The main deal about having sex with someone who is too drunk is that a sober person who is (presumably) able to think clearly makes a conscious choice to take advantage of a defenseless person. If both (or all in case of an orgy) people are completely wasted then it's not that clear (or at least it is not as easy to prove in court) that there is someone who decided to put another person into a defenseless state and take advantage of their vulnerability.

That's all very well and good, and I don't disagree with any part of this. But, focusing on that second situation, if both parties have willing but highly drunken sex, and both parties regret it once they sober up, isn't it the case that both parties are legally guilty of rape?

I guess it just depends on who decides to prosecute first, person A or person B.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2686 on: September 01, 2015, 05:58:40 pm »
Furthermore, a person who is too drunk to even say no is generally unconscious.  It's never a good idea to have sex with an unconscious person.
Well, that one is obvious. But generally speaking if you get someone so drunk that they say yes (or "yessh") when they would not have done so while sober then it is still iffy. Some people complain about the "she was willing but then got regrets in the morning and accuses him of rape" but honestly I think there are cases where it really is rape even if she was barely conscious but not in proper set of mind (regardless of genders of the individuals involved.)

...I do wonder though. If two very drunk people have sex, which one is the rapist?

If persons A and B are drunk and A says no to sex but B forces themselves onto A then B is a rapist even though they were drunk.

If both A and B said yes to sex because they were so drunk but regret it later... That gets more difficult and I think it would be fair to say that both are equally to blame for a stupid decision.

The main deal about having sex with someone who is too drunk is that a sober person who is (presumably) able to think clearly makes a conscious choice to take advantage of a defenseless person. If both (or all in case of an orgy) people are completely wasted then it's not that clear (or at least it is not as easy to prove in court) that there is someone who decided to put another person into a defenseless state and take advantage of their vulnerability.

That's all very well and good, and I don't disagree with any part of this. But, focusing on that second situation, if both parties have willing but highly drunken sex, and both parties regret it once they sober up, isn't it the case that both parties are legally guilty of rape?

I guess it just depends on who decides to prosecute first, person A or person B.

I don't know how courts handle it but in that scenario I think neither should be prosecuted for rape. If neither person really was able to legally consent then neither person should be guilty either. Or they are both equally guilty of being stupid.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2687 on: September 02, 2015, 07:44:25 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2688 on: September 02, 2015, 04:29:57 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2689 on: September 02, 2015, 07:29:07 pm »

I prefer this image:

Now, that's a far better image. I agree.

I made this re-edit of one of those Worst Protest Signs/Political Cartoon to become a Best Protest Sign/Political Cartoon....

....You'll see this (and the original) in a neighboring thread.

The original crapola version had Russell Means shutting up...but I corrected it to become this.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2690 on: September 03, 2015, 01:58:42 am »

What is that an image of exactly? It looks interesting, but I dont understand anything about it, so it lacks any significance to me.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2691 on: September 03, 2015, 02:14:01 am »
I believe it's a picture of polio patients inside Iron lungs. Polio which has now almost been entirely eradicated due to vaccination.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2692 on: September 03, 2015, 02:42:50 am »
I believe it's a picture of polio patients inside Iron lungs. Polio which has now almost been entirely eradicated due to vaccination.

Yes, it's a picture of a polio ward. I'd probably put some sort of caption on it if I actually wanted to bother to rebut antivax arguments with it.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Even Then

« Reply #2693 on: September 03, 2015, 02:49:37 am »
Really, it speaks for itself.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2694 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:15 pm »

What is that an image of exactly? It looks interesting, but I dont understand anything about it, so it lacks any significance to me.

A lot of people who got polio got it so bad that it basically paralyzed them to the point where they lost the ability to breathe on their own. They would be put in this Iron Lung contraption that would help them breathe.

Here's more about the Iron Lung....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_lung
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:20:00 pm by Barbarella »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2695 on: September 03, 2015, 07:53:46 pm »
Really, it speaks for itself.

Not if you don't know what you're looking at in the first place. If I showed it to a teenager who's bought into antivax propaganda it could well have no significance to them and even telling them it's a polio ward might not mean much since polio, in the developed parts of the world, is no longer a menace.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2696 on: September 03, 2015, 08:04:23 pm »
"My producers said songs like 'Uh Oh, Polio' wouldn't connect with today's youth!"
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2697 on: September 03, 2015, 08:26:11 pm »
So I worked my admiditly bad Photo Shop skills and I made this.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2698 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:13 am »

Even Then

« Reply #2699 on: September 04, 2015, 07:30:36 am »
Now that's gold.