Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606431 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2745 on: October 04, 2015, 07:34:14 pm »

Not really a protest sign, but THIS is how religious leaders should be. I know the Dalai Lama has his own regressive beliefs, but I think being willing to say "We might not have everything figured out and should embrace new discoveries" instead of "BELIEVE EVERYTHING IN THIS BOOK OR GO TO HELL!!!!1111ONEONE!!!" is a huge step up from most prominent religious leaders. Hell, he even willingly abdicated his position as the leader of the Tibetan government-in-exile in favor of a democratically-elected one, has said that he would be open to his followers electing his successor before he dies, rather than relying on the cycle of reincarnation and has said that if Tibet's independence is ever restored, the lamas shouldn't enjoy the political power they did before.

Cool! I like this.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #2746 on: October 05, 2015, 11:24:22 am »
I saw this on my Facebook feed, and for once it's something I agree with:

Another sign since the U.S. is gearing towards the 2016 Presidential election:

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #2747 on: October 05, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
i like both. i'd like to see what 2 years' worth of diapers looks like. must be huge.

and regarding the second sign, i wholeheartedly agree, although i'm usually chewed out for not voting.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2748 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:39 pm »
With the 2nd sign, a lot of the voter apathy is due the fact that people vote in people who don't want to even fucking govern from the get go and then they complain about nothing being done. I know, I've been there with the voter apathy, I wasn't even going to vote in the election last year, because of my apathy, until my friends guilt tripped me into doing so(turns out it felt good sticking it to the corporate Democrat Cuomo, and helping the Green party move up on the ballot in my state).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:13:53 pm by nickiknack »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #2749 on: October 05, 2015, 12:32:29 pm »
With the 2nd sign, a lot of the voter apathy is due the fact that people vote in people who don't want to even fucking govern from the get go and then they complain about nothing being done. I know, I've been there with the voter apathy, I wasn't even going to vote in the election last year, because of my apathy, until my friends guilt tripped me into doing so(turns out it felt good sticking it to the corporate Democrat Cuomo, and helping the Green party move up on the ballot in my state).

oh, it's not apathy in my case, more of a political conviction that nobody should govern anyone but him or herself. pushed to its logical extreme, i don't vote and don't expect anyone else to follow my ideology. but i understand why people vote and good on them.

for the story behind it. voting is a right, not a duty (at least in france. i believe it's a duty in belgium). i pondered the distinction and came to the conclusion that any right can be forfeit if you understand the implications.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2750 on: October 06, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »
I'm going to vote. I don't care if some states have gerymandering and dumb "Voter ID" laws....NOT voting would make things even worse.

If every non-deranged American voted, you'd see a progressive landslide even with the above barriers and the Far-Right Tealiban citizens ALWAYS VOTE EN MASSE.

No candidate is perfect but Bernie & Hillary are better than the alternative.

Over time, politics will move left-ward if the majority votes consistently enough.

I'm 40-years old, I've seen the reverse happen. Fewer people voting and wingnuts always voting.....nation moves right-ward, even the saner Democratic party.

To me, voting is only futile in you live in North Korea or something. As plutocratic as the United States is, it at least still has some amount of freedom and democracy (even if it's endangered).

As far as I'm concerned, this country is still a secular democratic republic under the United States Constitution and that any of that fascist, plutocratic, theocratic, police-state nonsense is technically illegal! Until someone gets on a podium and explicitly declares the Constitution null & void, this is still (technically) a free, constitutional democratic republic (regardless of evidence otherwise). The Plutocrats, Theocrats and murderous bad cops are breaking the highest law of the land, period!

The reason I always look for a silver lining and stay positive is because.....
* I would go crazy, otherwise.
* You need a high morale to have the will to fight and better the world.

If that makes me a fool, then let me don that jester's cap!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2751 on: October 06, 2015, 03:42:13 pm »
Honestly, I kinda understand where you're comin from.  Personally, I take an "eeh, why not?" approach to voting.  Sure, the whole thing's rigged against...well, thinking people, but naught ventured, naught gained and all that.  If nothing else, it give ya an excuse to get out of the house for a little bit, stave off the cabin fever.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2752 on: October 06, 2015, 06:52:15 pm »

Another sign since the U.S. is gearing towards the 2016 Presidential election:

This is an old anarchist slogan, I've got it in my copy of the "Heretics Handbook of Quotations". Which I would recommend the fuck out of, you can get it online from Wordpress.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #2753 on: October 06, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »
Regardless of political beliefs, it still has a universal appeal to it.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2754 on: October 06, 2015, 10:35:20 pm »
The sign isn't really wrong.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2755 on: October 06, 2015, 10:51:54 pm »
That's why I would recommend the Heretics Handbook - very fun book

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2756 on: October 06, 2015, 11:07:24 pm »
The sign isn't really wrong.

It reminds me a bit of this old gem:

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.  There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.  Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.  Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job.  Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it.  It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2757 on: October 07, 2015, 09:49:03 am »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #2758 on: October 07, 2015, 10:01:59 am »

hey, that's not fair! how is rookie gonna find the dog breed he wants without racial profiling?!

if somebody needs me, i'll be missing the point over there.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #2759 on: October 11, 2015, 06:11:50 pm »

hey, that's not fair! how is rookie gonna find the dog breed he wants without racial profiling?!

if somebody needs me, i'll be missing the point over there.

That dogs a pit bull, right? Lots of people want to write them off as savage, dangerous and uncontrollable, but they can be lovable pets if raised right.