Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606596 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2760 on: October 13, 2015, 04:23:58 am »
The problem I have with it is that I see it as equating the issue of racially charged violence to the issue of people stereotyping pit bulls as dangerous. Both of these are issues, but one of them is clearly much bigger than the other.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2761 on: October 13, 2015, 04:56:39 am »
It's the same concept. People and animals are being judged based on a stereotype.

The fact that the human victims are considered more important than the animals does not change the fact that both suffer due to the same reason and you can have  sympathy for more than one group of victims at the same time.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2762 on: October 13, 2015, 09:37:11 am »

hey, that's not fair! how is rookie gonna find the dog breed he wants without racial profiling?!

if somebody needs me, i'll be missing the point over there.

That dogs a pit bull, right? Lots of people want to write them off as savage, dangerous and uncontrollable, but they can be lovable pets if raised right.

In fairness, all dogs can be savage, dangerous and uncontrollable if raised wrong. If anything, I've found pit bulls and other large breeds to be easier to train and generally gentler and more loving than tiny lapdogs.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2763 on: October 13, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »
Heck, in the old days, they often had the opposite reputation. They were once known as friendly "nanny dogs" that were great for children!

Pete The Pup from Our Gang/The Little Rascals was a Pit Bull. Buster Brown's doggie sidekick, Tige was a Pit Bull.

It wasn't until the late 80s-90s that Pit Bulls became the "Killer Death Doggie Of Doom".....I guess people got bored with ripping on Rottweilers, Dobermans & German Shepherds.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2764 on: October 13, 2015, 02:59:21 pm »
It's the same concept. People and animals are being judged based on a stereotype.

The fact that the human victims are considered more important than the animals does not change the fact that both suffer due to the same reason and you can have  sympathy for more than one group of victims at the same time.

I'm not trying to argue that there isn't an issue with stereotyping pit bulls. I just don't think the issue should be equated to racial violence and I think it's demeaning to victims of racial violence to do so. Regardless of them being similar in concept, there are major differences in importance.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2765 on: October 13, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »

I'm not trying to argue that there isn't an issue with stereotyping pit bulls. I just don't think the issue should be equated to racial violence and I think it's demeaning to victims of racial violence to do so. Regardless of them being similar in concept, there are major differences in importance.

And I am trying to say that I don't think mentioning that some dogs suffer due to the same practice of judging them due to stereotypes is going to diminish the importance of getting rid of racial profiling of humans. This isn't like PETA saying that raising livestock is LITERALLY HOLOCAUST this campaign highlights two practices of judging people and animals harshly (and preemptively) due to stereotypes and says that both are wrong.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2766 on: October 14, 2015, 11:09:49 am »
The parallels most certainly are there. Honestly for the same reasons (environment/nurture). However the comparison does cheapen the human racial issue a bit.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #2767 on: October 15, 2015, 06:19:08 pm »
The parallels most certainly are there. Honestly for the same reasons (environment/nurture). However the comparison does cheapen the human racial issue a bit.

That's the point.  Comparing Little Bad Thing to Big Bad Thing always cheapens the bigger bad thing and belittles it.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2768 on: October 20, 2015, 04:22:58 pm »

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2769 on: October 20, 2015, 05:21:36 pm »

hey, that's not fair! how is rookie gonna find the dog breed he wants without racial profiling?!

if somebody needs me, i'll be missing the point over there.
Actually, you are closer to the truth than the image. "Racially" profiling dog breeds is different than doing it with humans since unlike humans the dogs have been artificially bred to have certain characteristics. The problem with pitbulls' reputation is that their breed characteristics are misunderstood, not the "profiling" in itself.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2770 on: October 21, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #2771 on: October 21, 2015, 02:39:14 pm »

I think we all know that it is the Pomeranians that are truly to blame.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2772 on: October 23, 2015, 04:27:52 am »

No! It's those Chihuahuas! Those little bug-eyed yappy little stinkers are behind everything!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2773 on: October 23, 2015, 09:59:13 am »

No! It's those Chihuahuas! Those little bug-eyed yappy little stinkers are behind everything!

Seriously, who decided that Chihuahuas got promoted to "dog" from "mutated sewer rat"? Who made that decision?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2774 on: October 23, 2015, 10:06:11 am »

Seriously, who decided that Chihuahuas got promoted to "dog" from "mutated sewer rat"? Who made that decision?

The Toltecs, I think.