Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606507 times)

pyro

Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2865 on: February 10, 2016, 10:15:43 am »
Nice Reason You Suck Speech, but I'd probably shorten it into an Armor Piercing Question:

[Congress goes on a long tirade about price gouging]

"Then why don't you make it illegal?"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2866 on: February 10, 2016, 11:11:00 am »

Gonna need a senzu for that one.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2867 on: February 10, 2016, 07:00:08 pm »
You know what, his face. His face still pisses me off. The fact remains he did it.

And I'd accept even a weirdly worded law that says it is illegal to be named Martin Shkreli as long as it hurts him on most conceivable levels.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

pyro

« Reply #2868 on: February 10, 2016, 09:06:52 pm »
And I'd accept even a weirdly worded law that says it is illegal to be named Martin Shkreli as long as it hurts him on most conceivable levels.

Like that didn't go wrong the last time it was tried. Going after evil people rarely helps, even if they are named Antoinette. If you don't categorically ban laws like that, they WILL be misapplied.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2869 on: February 15, 2016, 10:43:18 pm »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2870 on: February 15, 2016, 10:51:44 pm »
A decent fucking vegan.  Not that PETA will take away from this what they should, but whatevs.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2871 on: February 15, 2016, 11:22:10 pm »

Would you make the same criticism of every organisation who didn't offer to unconditionally pay people's water bills?
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #2872 on: February 15, 2016, 11:44:00 pm »
I'd say the point of contention here isn't "organizations are mandated to pay the water bills of everyone in need" but rather "if you actually gave a shit about the people, you'd give them the charity without imposing a condition they may not even be able to follow".

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2873 on: February 15, 2016, 11:58:18 pm »
I'd say the point of contention here isn't "organizations are mandated to pay the water bills of everyone in need" but rather "if you actually gave a shit about the people, you'd give them the charity without imposing a condition they may not even be able to follow".

Exactly. Let's keep in mind that going vegan and staying healthy, especially if you're not a meticulous planner about it, can be really expensive. Possibly significantly more expensive than just paying the water bill yourself. And that's not even bringing in how you'd monitor such a promise... like, if PETA dug through your trash and found an empty bacon wrapper, would they then suspend the payments? How would you even keep track of that?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2874 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14:13 am »

Exactly. Let's keep in mind that going vegan and staying healthy, especially if you're not a meticulous planner about it, can be really expensive. Possibly significantly more expensive than just paying the water bill yourself. And that's not even bringing in how you'd monitor such a promise... like, if PETA dug through your trash and found an empty bacon wrapper, would they then suspend the payments? How would you even keep track of that?
Aren't things like tofu and beans generally cheaper than meat?
Not sure about dairy goods.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2875 on: February 16, 2016, 12:44:06 am »

Aren't things like tofu and beans generally cheaper than meat?
Not sure about dairy goods.

That's where the planning comes in.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2876 on: February 16, 2016, 01:33:38 am »

You can give a shit about people and about other things, though?

I mean, PETA's job is to turn as many people into vegans as possible (among other things). If someone hears of this offer and can't or don't want to accept it, then they are no worse than before. If someone hears of this offer and can and want to accept it, then they and PETA are both better off.

...so what's the bad part?
Σא

pyro

« Reply #2877 on: February 16, 2016, 02:00:38 am »

You can give a shit about people and about other things, though?

I mean, PETA's job is to turn as many people into vegans as possible (among other things). If someone hears of this offer and can't or don't want to accept it, then they are no worse than before. If someone hears of this offer and can and want to accept it, then they and PETA are both better off.

...so what's the bad part?

The part where PETA takes advantage of a bad situation to force people to go vegan. Once you get thirsty enough, you don't have a choice.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2878 on: February 16, 2016, 03:42:22 am »
It shows that PETA doesn't actually give a shit about the people of Flint. They only want vegan converts. I don't see anything wrong with them helping people while encouraging them to go vegan because, well, regardless of methods, that is their goal here, but as is, they're effective holding the water hostage with a ransom of "conform to our lifestyles or else you have to choose between thirst and drinking lead water."
Who needs a signature?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2879 on: February 16, 2016, 05:23:43 am »
PETA are probably the most obnoxious "progressive" activists in existence.

"I say hullo Flint, we the enlightened upper middle class might deign to help you with your potable water problem if you only eat ethically sourced ancient grains and organically grown brussel sprouts like us real people. What do you say old bean?"