Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606428 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »
The logos of university or college sports teams often have more exposure than the logos of those schools themselves, and are thus more recognizable. That's why they probably went with the sports logos.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2012, 08:49:17 pm »
It's indicating that the counties/districts that voted against the propositions have colleges in them, right?  But they're using the logos of the varsity teams to indicate the colleges.  People who don't follow sports and/or aren't American have little way of knowing that these sports logos refer to colleges.

That's a contradiction. How would you know they're sports logos? The houses at Hogwarts used animals for their logos. >.> And the logo for Hogwarts itself was an animal.

Maybe because 49ers and Spartans sound like sports teams. And Hogwarts is a fictional school, although the logo would have said "Hogwarts" not whatever competitive Quidditch team they had.

Lexi's comment is also really weird because the "NO's" are attached to the colleges. Therefore, it has nothing to do with ignorance at all.

I thought that it was highlighted to make it stand out

Here, is this one better?

Snip

Absolutely considering where colleges are located doesn't show how much people where went there. And I'm pretty sure that there are colleges in the other districts.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:00:01 pm by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:18 pm »
It's indicating that the counties/districts that voted against the propositions have colleges in them, right?  But they're using the logos of the varsity teams to indicate the colleges.  People who don't follow sports and/or aren't American have little way of knowing that these sports logos refer to colleges.

That's a contradiction. How would you know they're sports logos? The houses at Hogwarts used animals for their logos. >.> And the logo for Hogwarts itself was an animal.

Maybe because 49ers and Spartans sound like sports teams. And Hogwarts is a fictional school, although the logo would have said "Hogwarts" not whatever competitive Quidditch team they had.

Plus the very style of the logo is a sporty style. A college’s main logo is generally far more “professional” looking. Less blocky, and a less cartoony version of the mascot, if that mascot is featured at all.
-A Pen Name

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #333 on: May 12, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »

Generally yes, not always.

The bottom part got cut off and says "Tell me how it affects you".

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:22:08 pm by Commander Shepard »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #334 on: May 12, 2012, 09:21:03 pm »
Generally yes, not always.

That is why I almost always use some sort of non-absolute qualifier in my statements. (Note that this very post is another such example. :D)
-A Pen Name

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #335 on: May 12, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »
I just wanted a chance to poke fun at my old school. :P

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #336 on: May 12, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »

No I figured it out from a partial glance.

Doubt it.

The bottom part got cut off and says "Tell me how it affects you".

Judges will be forced to marry gay couples, workers in fertility clinical will have to provide services, doctors will have to allow people to visit their same sex partner in the hospital, and adoption programs will have to give gays children. Doing these acts of civil service will cause their skin to burn and turn green from bigotry.

People who claim to do good in his name when they're evil. So basically, he'd be like us.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:08:23 pm by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »

So they have... sports teams? I don't get it. Are they saying people who watch sports are ignorant, because every state has several sport teams.

Jesus how dumb can you be?

You didn't understand it either? You should read MadCatTLX's comment.

Ironbite-you're starting to backslide dude.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #338 on: May 13, 2012, 02:11:27 am »
To be honest, I didn't get it either. Maybe non-Americans just don't get parochial, jokes based on situations unique to the States.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2012, 09:17:55 am »

So they have... sports teams? I don't get it. Are they saying people who watch sports are ignorant, because every state has several sport teams.

Jesus how dumb can you be?

You didn't understand it either? You should read MadCatTLX's comment.

Ironbite-you're starting to backslide dude.

I think I get it. Those logos represent colleges, and since the places that voted no on amendment one all have major colleges in them you're suggesting that the no vote was linked to the level of education.

I initially assumed those were sports teams. Outside America inter-college sport is nothing like as popular, and the teams don't tend to have logos that anybody outside of the University itself would recognise.
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #340 on: May 13, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »
To complain about how it should be easily figured out by people outside of the US (or even not in the South) or those who aren't sports-oriented, is a little silly.

It's like an American demanding a protest sign done in Russia to be written in English and not make references to pop culture that can really only be found in Russia and other Slavic countries. We'd all love that, wouldn't we?

Sometimes signs are made for the main audience that will read it.

As an example:

Icelandic protest sign. It's not in English, there's barely any context as to what it's for. But I'm sure the average person in Iceland would know it's 1) saying "Goddamn Fucking Fuck" (loosely) 2) It was used to protest the changes to the Icelandic government.

Get what I'm saying?

>.>

Either way...

&

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #341 on: May 13, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »
To complain about how it should be easily figured out by people outside of the US (or even not in the South) or those who aren't sports-oriented, is a little silly.

Except that's not what's happening here.  Ironbite was calling other people stupid for not getting the cartoon, and I was arguing that people outside the US (or who just don't follow college sports) have perfectly good reasons for not connecting colleges to their sports team logos and that doesn't make us stupid or deserving of insults.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #342 on: May 13, 2012, 07:33:59 pm »
It doesn't really matter, does it? The point got across.

Protest signs aren't like public buildings: they don't need to be accessible to everyone.

&

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #343 on: May 13, 2012, 10:19:08 pm »
These aren't quite protest signs, but I think they're close enough to fit here.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #344 on: May 13, 2012, 11:45:43 pm »
It doesn't really matter, does it? The point got across.

Protest signs aren't like public buildings: they don't need to be accessible to everyone.

The point didn't get across to everyone, and you're missing the point of that it's not right to call people stupid for not getting something that's outside of their culture or experience and asking for clarification.  I never said the cartoon should be clearer, just that it doesn't make us stupid if we don't get something that's not, by design, accessible to us.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.