Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 607196 times)

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #465 on: June 12, 2012, 11:37:08 pm »

“Before you ask any stupid questions: I am from India and a Sikh, so please just pay for your purchase and have a good day.  NO B.S.”
Honestly, he looks like a fun dude.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #466 on: June 13, 2012, 12:23:43 am »

“Before you ask any stupid questions: I am from India and a Sikh, so please just pay for your purchase and have a good day.  NO B.S.”
Honestly, he looks like a fun dude.
Sikh males actually have to carry a tiny dagger in the same way Muslim women need to wear the hijab so that does make them cool

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #467 on: June 13, 2012, 06:53:46 am »
Sikh males actually have to carry a tiny dagger in the same way Muslim women need to wear the hijab so that does make them cool

Now I am trying to remember about that one case I heard about where they actually found some successful compromise for a Sikh boy to bring such a dagger to school with him without violating any of the school’s safety policies. But I can’t remember the details.
-A Pen Name

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #468 on: June 13, 2012, 09:24:49 am »

Now I am trying to remember about that one case I heard about where they actually found some successful compromise for a Sikh boy to bring such a dagger to school with him without violating any of the school’s safety policies. But I can’t remember the details.

There are several such cases, I think it was either dagger shaped jewelry or a really, really small dagger which while technically a real dagger is so small that the school does not consider it to be a "weapon."

Now if only they would find a similar compromise with the headdress because Sikh police officers and soldiers put themselves in danger by not wearing a helmet.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #469 on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:04 pm »
Now if only they would find a similar compromise with the headdress because Sikh police officers and soldiers put themselves in danger by not wearing a helmet.

I have no idea what the actual Sikh rules about turbans are (do they have to be self wrapped? do they have to show outwardly?) but I'm a little surprised no one's marketing a "turban inside a helmet" (or vice versa) with a built in turban.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #470 on: June 13, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »

Any religion that requires its members to carry a bladed weapon at all times is fucking badass by default.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #471 on: June 13, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »
Here's a picture of the daggers.

Here are the necklace ones.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #472 on: June 13, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »
Curious now how much issues those cause now in schools and planes with zero tolerance and all.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #473 on: June 13, 2012, 04:04:21 pm »
Curious now how much issues those cause now in schools and planes with zero tolerance and all.

I think that bringing a physical knife to school is considered an issue due to safety concerns, but wearing a depiction of a knife in jewelry, like the one above, is allowed.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #474 on: June 13, 2012, 05:31:48 pm »
And some schools do allow for religious exemption.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #475 on: June 13, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
There are several such cases, I think it was either dagger shaped jewelry or a really, really small dagger which while technically a real dagger is so small that the school does not consider it to be a "weapon."

Too small to be a weapon? I didn’t think there were any schools that reasonable.

Damn, I wish those folks were in charge when I was barred from the Obama rally in 2008 because I forgot that I had a tiny pocket knife on my keychain. How deluded would I have to be to try and start trouble with a half-inch blade while surrounded by a bunch of far more heavily armed security personnel?
-A Pen Name

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #476 on: June 13, 2012, 07:06:49 pm »
Didn't a student once get in trouble for having nail clippers?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #477 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:37 pm »

Almost definitely. With 98,817 (according to a quick and dirty google search) public schools in the USA, there are bound to be examples of almost every permutation of reasonable and unreasonable policy enforcement.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #478 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »

Almost definitely. With 98,817 (according to a quick and dirty google search) public schools in the USA, there are bound to be examples of almost every permutation of reasonable and unreasonable policy enforcement.
A kid got in trouble for a lego gun

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #479 on: June 14, 2012, 01:21:33 am »

A kid got in trouble for a lego gun
Well, BIONICLE sure packs the heat.

What is, is not; what is not, is.