Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1650001 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #5235 on: October 02, 2015, 11:22:00 pm »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5236 on: October 02, 2015, 11:29:57 pm »
...Alas, Poor Boehner.

Slain by the monster he allowed into his house.

For all his adversarial nature, at the end of the day he tried to be pragmatic and the far right ended him for it.

They ended his career for basing his ideas in reality. That tells everyone just how far gone the Tea Party is.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5237 on: October 03, 2015, 04:48:11 pm »
The immates are running the asylum.

Ironbite-let's see if it keeps them in power.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5238 on: October 03, 2015, 06:41:12 pm »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5239 on: October 03, 2015, 06:46:11 pm »
ok, i loll'd.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5240 on: October 03, 2015, 07:08:55 pm »

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #5241 on: October 04, 2015, 07:52:51 am »

Well, everything is so gerrymandered in their favor that their 47.6% of the House popular vote in 2012 was good for 53.8% of House seats. 1.5 million more people voted for Democratic House candidates than for Republicans, but the GOP ended with a 234 - 201 majority.

So I'm going to go with they're going to hold the House in 2016 pretty much no matter what they do, and the Democrats have little hope in that chamber until after lines are redrawn after the 2020 census. Of course, the state legislature lines are overwhelmingly gerrymandered in favor of Republicans as well, so it will be difficult to restore balance even then, amd if a Democraric President is elected next year, the Republicans will do well in 2020 (as the opposition paety alwas does in thw midterms) amd theyll be able to redraw the lInes evwn more strongly in theor favor. If there is 1 thing that Republicans are good at, it's rewriting the rules of democracy in their favor, generally in ways that are less democratic (voter id laws, shorter polling hours, fewer polling stations, etc)
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5242 on: October 04, 2015, 11:37:31 am »

Well, everything is so gerrymandered in their favor that their 47.6% of the House popular vote in 2012 was good for 53.8% of House seats. 1.5 million more people voted for Democratic House candidates than for Republicans, but the GOP ended with a 234 - 201 majority.

So I'm going to go with they're going to hold the House in 2016 pretty much no matter what they do, and the Democrats have little hope in that chamber until after lines are redrawn after the 2020 census. Of course, the state legislature lines are overwhelmingly gerrymandered in favor of Republicans as well, so it will be difficult to restore balance even then, amd if a Democraric President is elected next year, the Republicans will do well in 2020 (as the opposition paety alwas does in thw midterms) amd theyll be able to redraw the lInes evwn more strongly in theor favor. If there is 1 thing that Republicans are good at, it's rewriting the rules of democracy in their favor, generally in ways that are less democratic (voter id laws, shorter polling hours, fewer polling stations, etc)

Um, 2020 is a presidential election year. 2018 and 2022 are the midterm years.

But yeah, way too many states are gerrymandered all to hell.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5243 on: October 04, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »
Nah! 2016 is going to be the Dems' year!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5244 on: October 04, 2015, 01:42:08 pm »

It can be the Dems' year all it wants, that won't help when they win all their House districts with 80% and the Republicans win theirs with 55%.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5245 on: October 04, 2015, 09:27:52 pm »

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #5246 on: October 05, 2015, 02:18:02 am »

Um, 2020 is a presidential election year. 2018 and 2022 are the midterm years.

But yeah, way too many states are gerrymandered all to hell.

Yup... not sure what I was thinking there...

I've been considering different scenarios for 2020 lately based on what happens in 2016, and their implications on reapportionment, and I don't feel that 2020 looks good for the Democrats under most of them for a variety of reasons.  I must have twisted that around in my head.  Or, based on my spelling, I might actually have been asleep when I typed that message.  Who knows.

The Democrats definitely have an advantage in the Electoral College, namely, the Democratic nominee can win the presidency with Ohio OR Florida, while a Republican cannot win without both (can I just take a moment to lament the fact that those are pretty much the only states that matter?).  Realistically speaking, this means that for the GOP to elect a president, they pretty much have to sweep the swing states, not because the extra electoral votes are necessary, but because one party winning both FL and OH suggests that they probably did well in all of the states that could go either way, and maybe even picked off a state that leans the other direction.

That being said, it's way too early to be that optimistic.  History shows that voters like to change the party that controls the country fairly regularly.  The last time the Democrats won 3 consecutive presidential elections was 1940, 44, and 48 (FDR and Truman); and the last time that a Democrat served a full 8 years and were succeeded by another Democrat due to election rather than death was Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren (1828, 32, 36).  More importantly, even if the Democrats do sweep the swing states, they could still fail to regain control of Congress.  The 2016 Senate election will be the echo of 2010, which means that there will be a lot more Republicans facing reelection (24) than Democrats (10).  Interestingly, most of the GOP seats are in deep red states, and most Democratic seats are in deep blue states, so there probably won't be a whole lot of movement there, though the specifics of each candidate and situation can change that.  Nonetheless, the Democrats have more to gain than to lose, which is good news to those of us on the left.

It's the House that is a problem.  It's so badly gerrymandered, that it's almost impossible for Democrats to take it back.  For example, looking at the early, early, early polls from 270towin show that Democrats would have to hold all of their seats, win ever toss up, every seat that leans Republican, and win several that are likely Republican.

So it being a Democratic year could mean that a Democrat is elected President, they win the Senate with 51 or 52 seats, and they pick up a dozen House seats, and are still in the minority.  The elections are still a long way off, but if your standard for having a good year involves them taking over both chambers, you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5247 on: October 05, 2015, 02:45:47 am »
When I look at things like this (nonpartisan boundary redistribution commissions), I wonder how the hell the US got to the point where representatives choose their constituents every ten years.

(Note Saskatchewan particularly. It had long been the case that Regina and Saskatoon were each divided into four ridings, partly urban and partly rural. In the past few elections, this split had allowed the Conservatives to sweep all but one seat in the province--the seat in question is held by popular Liberal Ralph Goodale--at the expense of the NDP, who came second in every riding but Goodale's in 2011. The commission recommended that Regina and Saskatoon instead each be split into three largely urban ridings, which gives the NDP a significantly better chance of winning seats in the province. The Conservatives, who had a majority government and thus could have shot down the commission's recommendations and made their own map, tried to stir up public support against boundaries which weren't traditional, but ultimately the boundaries that were recommended were put into effect. Gerrymandering just doesn't happen here.)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5248 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:08 am »
In Florida, US Congressional districts are drawn up by the locals, the State Legislature, which is ALEC-infested, as are most state assemblies. A glaring example of malicious gerrymandering is how US Rep. Daniel Webster, who represents the district I live in, won in 2012 against a very well liked former Orange County Sheriff who was running against him on the Democratic ticket, Val Demings. Ms. Demings is African American, and ranges from centrist to liberal in policy matters. Rep. Webster is old guard, old money, old bigot. Following a required population increase adjustment to the districts, the Florida Legislature managed just in time to re-gerrymander things so as to slice out Ms. Demings' main support areas and destroy her chances of taking Webster's seat in Congress.  They did, however, leave a good chance now for Ms. Demings to run in the 10th district and win, since this Congressional campaign election coincides with the Presidential election. I hope she wins. She ran for Mayor of Orlando right after losing to Webster in 2012, but did not unseat our very popular Democratic Mayor Dyer. Instead, he hired her on as the new Chief of the Orlando PD. Not hard feelings.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5249 on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:25 am »
Okay, I get it. I know about the gerrymandering, shady voter ID laws and voter apathy.

Understandable. Optimism is good but, like everything, too much of it can make you stupid.

Which is why I'm more for hope, a CAUTIOUS optimism and mixing idealism with realism.

That said being "Dr. Doomy Dooms of Doom" only invites defeatism, poor morale and a lack of fighting spirit.

However, I do understand that the Democratic gains won't be through the roof.

That said, the majority of wingnutty citizens are old while the majority of progressive citizens are young. Since the old are old, they have a bigger tendency to receive a visit from the lovely & ghastly Santisma Muerte...if you get my drift.

I do think things will get better, eventually. The majority of Americans are already sick of the GOP, Tea Party and general far-right antics.