Author Topic: Ruined Forever  (Read 20151 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Ruined Forever
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 03:39:30 am »
I was mostly--partially--joking about the DBZ thing, but I know of at least 3 different "Intended End Points" that fans have named: After Frieza, after Cell, & after Buu. Frankly, I'm not believing any of them until I see a Word of God. The series was no stranger to dramatic genre shifts, asspulls, & poorly placed comic relief before the Buu & Cell sagas, so that doesn't prove anything to me. And I liked DBZ just like every other 14-year-old.
You probably won't get the actual firm response from Toriyama about it that you're wanting. The man is so scatterbrained he probably doesn't even remember the beginning of dragonball. I am not making this up see?. But he has said in interviews that he had tried multiple times to shift focus from Goku to Gohan if he was going to be forced to continue. Hence killing off Goku. So take of that what you will.

I love Toriyama but he could really use some notes.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 09:39:39 am »
I was mostly--partially--joking about the DBZ thing, but I know of at least 3 different "Intended End Points" that fans have named: After Frieza, after Cell, & after Buu. Frankly, I'm not believing any of them until I see a Word of God. The series was no stranger to dramatic genre shifts, asspulls, & poorly placed comic relief before the Buu & Cell sagas, so that doesn't prove anything to me. And I liked DBZ just like every other 14-year-old.
You probably won't get the actual firm response from Toriyama about it that you're wanting. The man is so scatterbrained he probably doesn't even remember the beginning of dragonball. I am not making this up see?. But he has said in interviews that he had tried multiple times to shift focus from Goku to Gohan if he was going to be forced to continue. Hence killing off Goku. So take of that what you will.

I love Toriyama but he could really use some notes.

Never said I expected it. That's what's frustrating about things that need Word of God statements.

I do like how he realizes Dragonball is hardly as perfect as it is sometimes treated.

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 11:15:00 am »
If Ghostbusters 3 ever comes out, it's most likely going to ruin the franchise for me. From what I've read, the plot basically revolves around the original Ghostbusters realizing that they're too old and fat to keep going, so they hand off the business to a new, young crew.

It would basically be a glorified re-make. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to see a new Ghostbusters crew. I don't want to hear the inevitable crappy pop-culture references of today. I don't want to see CGI everything. On top of that, it seems pretty clear that Bill Murray and Rick Moranis want nothing to do with it. Dan Aykroyd needs to take the hint.

I think the time for a proper third installment has long passed.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 11:26:54 am »
If Ghostbusters 3 ever comes out, it's most likely going to ruin the franchise for me. From what I've read, the plot basically revolves around the original Ghostbusters realizing that they're too old and fat to keep going, so they hand off the business to a new, young crew.

It would basically be a glorified re-make. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to see a new Ghostbusters crew. I don't want to hear the inevitable crappy pop-culture references of today. I don't want to see CGI everything. On top of that, it seems pretty clear that Bill Murray and Rick Moranis want nothing to do with it. Dan Aykroyd needs to take the hint.

I think the time for a proper third installment has long passed.

If I recall, they actually did make a canon sequel, but it was a video game.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »
I've already bitched about it at length, but...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Ruined by: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

While I'm on the subject:

Star Wars: The Jedi Knight series. Ruined by: Jedi Academy.

Burn Notice. Ruined By: Going on too damn long.

Mythbusters. Ruined By: Doing all the well-known myths, going on too long. (Sorry guys, I still love you!)

Simon and Garfunkel. ALMOST Ruined by: The Graduate.

You're going to hate me, but I actually count Jedi Academy among my favorite games. Then again, I didn't play any of the previous ones. I'm also thoroughly enjoying The Sith Lords, although I'm aware of the issues with the ending.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 08:44:42 pm »
Oh, I thought of a new one...but its kinda related to an old one I already posted.

Console ports of Ultima games.  Ruined by Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny for the NES.  Seriously...what the fuck happened?  Ultima IV for the NES was fucking STELLAR by the standards of the day...hell, it was the first video game I'd ever played, and I loved every minute of it.  But, Ultima V was just terrible.  The controls were clunky and very, very slow to respond...which made the new, real-time combat a major, MAJOR pain in the ass.  And the graphic design was just an eyesore, at times.  I mean, take the Avatar him(or her)self.  Sure, he may not have been very detailed in Quest of the Avatar (this -is- the NES we're talking about, here), but in Warriors of Destiny...he was just a deformed blob of red and yellow.

Would it have been so difficult to just take the general look and feel (and story) of the PC version and pop it into the NES engine for Ultima IV?  Touch up the graphics a bit, sure, but...Jesus.  That game marked the end of good console ports of the Ultima series.  Ultima VI for the SNES sucked.  Same with the SNES version of Ultima VII, where the game in general, and the story, was just plain butchered because not only of size restrictions (paring a 20MB game down to 1MB does that), but also because of Nintendo's shitty censorship policy...MURDER IS SCAWWY!

Oh, and the fuck of the Ultima VII SNES port?  That's the version they used for the PSP port.  You read that right, instead of using the, by that time, small 20MB proper fucking game, they used the bastardized, piece-of-shit version that fucking EVERYONE hated.  Good going, Sony.  Fucking dumbasses.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 09:19:19 am »
-Dragonball Z:  Should have ended no later than the end of the Cell Games, and I'm not so sure it should have went that far.  And don't get me started on GT.
-Law & Order:CI: Chris Noth as the replacement for Vincent D'onofrio?  That's fucking BS.
-Law & Order:SVU: The last couple of seasons have been kind of crappy, and really ended up screwing up what started out as a great show.
-I think Reality shows really fucked up reality.  Especially newer ones, like watching pawn shops and repo guys?  Come the fuck on.
-House: at the beginning of, I think it was season 6, where he started off in rehab and kicked his vicodin habit.
-The Simpsons has gone on way to f'ing long.
-FFVII: If it wasn't for the next three, that would have done it in.  FFVII was the worst through X.  I haven't played any past that.
-The Crow: my favorite movie of all time, 2 sucked, and I won't even watch 3.
-Blade: the first one was awesome, the second one, it was ok, and I won't even talk about the third one.
-The Maxtrix: first one, awesome, then they just fucked it up from there.
-The Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien fiasco: I used to like both of them, now I can't watch either one.
-The Price is Right: I like Drew Carey, but not as host of TPiR.  Bob Barker was iconic.
All things are no-thing.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:40 am »
I'm also thoroughly enjoying The Sith Lords, although I'm aware of the issues with the ending.

Have you beaten the game before and seen the ending? I ask because I did enjoy The Sith Lords until I beat it. The ending left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have never been able to replay it.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:55 pm »
I'm also thoroughly enjoying The Sith Lords, although I'm aware of the issues with the ending.

Have you beaten the game before and seen the ending? I ask because I did enjoy The Sith Lords until I beat it. The ending left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have never been able to replay it.

No. My hope is that because I'm EXPECTING a broken ending, the impact will be lessened.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 02:39:38 pm »
-Dragonball Z:  Should have ended no later than the end of the Cell Games, and I'm not so sure it should have went that far.  And don't get me started on GT.

I actually kind of liked GT. Although, I only saw about half of it.

-FFVII: If it wasn't for the next three, that would have done it in.  FFVII was the worst through X.  I haven't played any past that.

What. Worse than mini dungeons? How?

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:29 pm »

I actually kind of liked GT. Although, I only saw about half of it.

It had a few decent moments, but that's about it.  I thought SSJ 4 was kind of cool.  But they turned Gohan into a weakling.  That made me mad.  Plus, turning Goku into a baby for most of the series was lame.  And Vegita turning into a SSJ 4 by a machine that Bulma created, bypassing SSJ 3 was kind of weird.

What. Worse than mini dungeons? How?

Midgard. 
All things are no-thing.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 08:48:58 pm »
I thought SSJ 4 was kind of cool.

Yeah, I pretty much literally saw about half of it. Around the time Baby made his way back to Earth is the time I started having trouble keeping up with it. So I guess that's more like a third, or even a fourth, really.

So you guys might have a point.

But they turned Gohan into a weakling.

Poor Gohan had been getting shafted since he beat Cell. He did get to be cool for a bit in the Broly: Second Coming, though.

Plus, turning Goku into a baby for most of the series was lame.

Yeah, it was basically Dragonball Z's pseudo-sci-fi setting with Dragonball's first adventure plot. I liked that.

And Vegita turning into a SSJ 4 by a machine that Bulma created, bypassing SSJ 3 was kind of weird.

That makes less sense than the pissing contest Frieza & Goku had.

Midgard.

Was a dump & I don't see why it's romanticized as much as it is, but I'm guessing what you're getting at is that you felt it took too long to get to the world map?

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:37 pm »
Poor Gohan had been getting shafted since he beat Cell. He did get to be cool for a bit in the Broly: Second Coming, though.

I thought Mystic Gohan during the Buu fight was pretty cool.  Of course, this is about the time Piccolo started to turn into a pussy.

Yeah, it was basically Dragonball Z's pseudo-sci-fi setting with Dragonball's first adventure plot. I liked that.

I've read that's what they were trying to do, was recapture the excitement from Dragon Ball, by having Goku go back to being a kid.  It was ok.

Was a dump & I don't see why it's romanticized as much as it is, but I'm guessing what you're getting at is that you felt it took too long to get to the world map?

Yeah.
All things are no-thing.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »
Never understood that. Freedom in FF games is pretty much an illusion. You can maybe get to different areas to grind, but before too long, you'll need some kind of vehicle or key item. Meaning you have to do the set of tasks the designers envisioned for you. The only one to really break the mold, oddly enough, is XII by having a majority of the sidequests available from the start. And you all know my feelings on that.